Backend upgrade scheduled for Wed Nov 18

Bernd Machenschalk
Bernd Machenschalk
Moderator
Administrator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 3,935
Credit: 198,846,109
RAC: 39,977
Topic 198308

Next week, Wed Nov 18 we intend to switch over to a new project/backend/web server. The project will be down during that time, but that shouldn't take more than a few hours.

Preliminary internal tests are ongoing, if something serious shows up, we'll postpone the upgrade.

In case something serious goes wrong during the upgrade, we'll keep you informed via Albert@Home.

BM

BM

Richard Haselgrove
Richard Haselgrove
Joined: 10 Dec 05
Posts: 1,935
Credit: 259,633,867
RAC: 281,659

Backend upgrade scheduled for Wed Nov 18

Snag when trying to view the task list for a single computer:

Quote:

Warning: mysqli::query(): Couldn't fetch mysqli in /srv/BOINC/live-webcode/html/inc/db_conn.inc on line 65
Database Error
Unable to handle request

Warning: mysqli::escape_string(): Couldn't fetch mysqli in /srv/BOINC/live-webcode/html/inc/db_conn.inc on line 229
log in
No computer with ID 5744895 found


Edit - seems to be working now.

MAGIC Quantum Mechanic
MAGIC Quantum M...
Joined: 18 Jan 05
Posts: 1,303
Credit: 415,498,252
RAC: 79,397

Up and running again here.

Up and running again here.

 

Bernd Machenschalk
Bernd Machenschalk
Moderator
Administrator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 3,935
Credit: 198,846,109
RAC: 39,977

Thanks. Indeed the upgrade

Thanks.

Indeed the upgrade has happened. It took a bit longer than originally expected, but apart from that worked ok from our perspective.

The main Einstein@Home project (web) server is now running on new hardware, a newer OS version (Debian Jessie), featuring a newer BOINC web code operating on an updated DB.

Scheduler requests to both einstein.phys.uwm.edu and einstein5.aei.uni-hannover.de should automatically be forwarded to the new, more generic and flexible scheduler.einsteinathome.org address, where they are answered by an updated scheduler.

Phew ....

BM

BM

David S
David S
Joined: 6 Dec 05
Posts: 2,473
Credit: 22,936,222
RAC: 3

RE: Thanks. Indeed the

Quote:

Thanks.

Indeed the upgrade has happened. It took a bit longer than originally expected, but apart from that worked ok from our perspective.

The main Einstein@Home project (web) server is now running on new hardware, a newer OS version (Debian Jessie), featuring a newer BOINC web code operating on an updated DB.

Scheduler requests to both einstein.phys.uwm.edu and einstein5.aei.uni-hannover.de should automatically be forwarded to the new, more generic and flexible scheduler.einsteinathome.org address, where they are answered by an updated scheduler.

Phew ....

BM


Wow! Pages in the message boards! Thanks Bernd!

David

Miserable old git
Patiently waiting for the asteroid with my name on it.

Richard Haselgrove
Richard Haselgrove
Joined: 10 Dec 05
Posts: 1,935
Credit: 259,633,867
RAC: 281,659

RE: Wow! Pages in the

Quote:
Wow! Pages in the message boards! Thanks Bernd!


And task status counts on the summary lists - thanks for that too.

AgentB
AgentB
Joined: 17 Mar 12
Posts: 915
Credit: 513,211,304
RAC: 0

RE: RE: Wow! Pages in the

Quote:
Quote:
Wow! Pages in the message boards! Thanks Bernd!

And task status counts on the summary lists - thanks for that too.


and a new Status to look at "Validation inconclusive" for those pending tasks, waiting a third (or more) opinion - thanks for that too.

edit: And look GPU and CPU statistics!

Maximilian Mieth
Maximilian Mieth
Joined: 4 Oct 12
Posts: 128
Credit: 7,016,645
RAC: 2,878

Everything is in German now

Everything is in German now (since I am from Germany and have set so in the preferences), which is obviously good for native German speakers. However: I don't really like that since it can lead to confusion if people have to translate Boinc-specific words (e.g. RAC).

Is there any possibility to switch back to English without having to change my country in the preferences?

Alex Plantema
Alex Plantema
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 16
Credit: 11,695,552
RAC: 15,830

Task aren't in numeric order

Task aren't in numeric order now.

Gary Roberts
Gary Roberts
Moderator
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 5,197
Credit: 42,135,622,998
RAC: 45,222,499

RE: And look GPU and CPU

Quote:
And look GPU and CPU statistics!


By looking at some numbers, there seem to be lots of anomalies. I suspect that the stats are just for the elapsed times without any consideration for the extended times when crunching multiple tasks.

As a single example, take a look at the AMD Tahiti series GPUs. Under Linux, they come in at No.2, and less than half the performance of Hawaii. Under Windows, they have a performance metric about 50% greater than Hawaii.

I would surmise that people who run Linux are more likely to fiddle with settings and be aware of how to extract performance from their GPUs by running multiple concurrent tasks. This would have the effect of blowing out the elapsed time of a single task, whilst producing multiple results in that blown-out time. I don't know if this is the main factor (or even a factor at all) but maybe Bernd may be able to enlighten us :-).

Wouldn't it be really useful if the recorded elapsed time could be 'corrected' for concurrency? I have no idea if that would even be possible, let alone the work involved if it were. For it to be possible, a result being returned would have to have the value under which the task was crunched returned by some mechanism as well. Once again, it will be interesting to see if Bernd has any ideas about this :-).

EDIT: A bit more evidence for concurrency skewing the results. I have a large number of 7850 (Pitcairn series) GPUs all crunching 4x, all under Linux. Look how low the performance metric for these is, compared to the Windows metric.

EDIT2: If there indeed is no accounting for the possibility of multiple concurrent tasks per GPU, there needs to be a warning on the Top GPU Models page to remind people that when it mentions "average elapsed time of tasks" it's not accounting for the fact that multiple tasks may have been completed in that average time. It should be spelt out that high end / high performing cards are going to appear to have less performance than they actually have because of this.

Cheers,
Gary.

Christian Beer
Christian Beer
Moderator
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 595
Credit: 96,904,763
RAC: 0

RE: Everything is in German

Quote:

Everything is in German now (since I am from Germany and have set so in the preferences), which is obviously good for native German speakers. However: I don't really like that since it can lead to confusion if people have to translate Boinc-specific words (e.g. RAC).

Is there any possibility to switch back to English without having to change my country in the preferences?

This selection is here: https://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/language_select.php

I just confirmed that it works by setting the browser default (de) to en and back.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.