Won't attach to Project

themasta
themasta
Joined: 1 Mar 05
Posts: 1
Credit: 6,017
RAC: 0
Topic 188223

I'm not sure if this has been covered or not but here it is. When I try to attach to the project an error message pops up telling me my account ID is invalid. I have set up my account so I know it is not that. If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Bruce Allen
Bruce Allen
Moderator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 1,109
Credit: 172,125,663
RAC: 0

Won't attach to Project

> I'm not sure if this has been covered or not but here it is. When I try to
> attach to the project an error message pops up telling me my account ID is
> invalid. I have set up my account so I know it is not that. If anyone has
> any ideas that would be great.

Go to the E@H front page and choose the option that lets you email your acccount key to yourself. When you get the email, cut and paste the account key right into the BOINC window. Be careful not to include any space characters or other extraneous stuff.

Bruce

Director, Einstein@Home

ty.brooks2
ty.brooks2
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 2
Credit: 2,540
RAC: 0

> > I'm not sure if this has

Message 6869 in response to message 6868

> > I'm not sure if this has been covered or not but here it is. When I try
> to
> > attach to the project an error message pops up telling me my account ID
> is
> > invalid. I have set up my account so I know it is not that. If anyone
> has
> > any ideas that would be great.
>
> Go to the E@H front page and choose the option that lets you email your
> acccount key to yourself. When you get the email, cut and paste the account
> key right into the BOINC window. Be careful not to include any space
> characters or other extraneous stuff.
>
> Bruce
>
I'm having the same problem as everyone else. I am doing a copy and paste from the email, making sure not to have anything extra in it. But it still says that my account id is incorrect.

ty.brooks2
ty.brooks2
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 2
Credit: 2,540
RAC: 0

> > > I'm not sure if this

Message 6870 in response to message 6869

> > > I'm not sure if this has been covered or not but here it is. When I
> try
> > to
> > > attach to the project an error message pops up telling me my account
> ID
> > is
> > > invalid. I have set up my account so I know it is not that. If
> anyone
> > has
> > > any ideas that would be great.
> >
> > Go to the E@H front page and choose the option that lets you email your
> > acccount key to yourself. When you get the email, cut and paste the
> account
> > key right into the BOINC window. Be careful not to include any space
> > characters or other extraneous stuff.
> >
> > Bruce
> >
> I'm having the same problem as everyone else. I am doing a copy and paste from
> the email, making sure not to have anything extra in it. But it still says
> that my account id is incorrect.

Ok never mind, figured it out, spoke way to soon. I guess i really should read all the error message next time. sorry.
Tyson

asstromann
asstromann
Joined: 23 Feb 05
Posts: 2
Credit: 98
RAC: 0

After completing the first

After completing the first set of work, BOINC cant seem to figure out how to get more work. There was no problem in getting the first set of work, but ever since that has completed it can not get anything else for some reason and I am at a loss as to how to get more. Ive tried everything that I can think of to get it to work (which basically amounted to closing BOINC, turning off my firewall and restarting BOINC) but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions?

-Aaron

Darren
Darren
Joined: 18 Jan 05
Posts: 94
Credit: 69,632
RAC: 0

> After completing the first

Message 6872 in response to message 6871

> After completing the first set of work, BOINC cant seem to figure out how to
> get more work. There was no problem in getting the first set of work, but
> ever since that has completed it can not get anything else for some reason and
> I am at a loss as to how to get more. Ive tried everything that I can think
> of to get it to work (which basically amounted to closing BOINC, turning off
> my firewall and restarting BOINC) but to no avail. Does anyone have any
> suggestions?

What message appears in the log when it tries to connect?

You should be looking for something like the following entries in your message log:

2005-03-06 12:09:03 [---] May run out of work in 0.50 days; requesting more
2005-03-06 12:09:03 [Einstein@Home] Requesting 43198.68 seconds of work
2005-03-06 12:09:03 [Einstein@Home] Sending request to scheduler: http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/EinsteinAtHome_cgi/cgi
2005-03-06 12:09:04 [Einstein@Home] Scheduler RPC to http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/EinsteinAtHome_cgi/cgi succeeded

except it should be reporting some kind of an error instead of "succeeded".

First thing you need to do is find that error, then post it here and someone can help you figure out what's going on.

asstromann
asstromann
Joined: 23 Feb 05
Posts: 2
Credit: 98
RAC: 0

It looks like

It looks like this:

3/6/2005 4:38:10 PM||Starting BOINC client version 4.25 for windows_intelx86
3/6/2005 4:38:10 PM|Einstein@Home|Using your default project prefs
3/6/2005 4:38:10 PM||Version Change Detected (4.19 -> 4.25); running CPU benchmarks
3/6/2005 4:38:10 PM|Einstein@Home|Host ID is 36985
3/6/2005 4:38:10 PM||General prefs: from Einstein@Home (last modified 2005-02-23 00:35:07)
3/6/2005 4:38:10 PM||General prefs: no separate prefs for home; using your defaults
3/6/2005 4:38:10 PM||Running CPU benchmarks
3/6/2005 4:39:10 PM||Benchmark results:
3/6/2005 4:39:10 PM|| Number of CPUs: 1
3/6/2005 4:39:10 PM|| 1249 double precision MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU
3/6/2005 4:39:10 PM|| 2473 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU
3/6/2005 4:39:10 PM||Finished CPU benchmarks
3/6/2005 4:39:10 PM|Einstein@Home|Deferring communication with project for 1 weeks, 2 days, 11 hours, 6 minutes, and 43 seconds

Darren
Darren
Joined: 18 Jan 05
Posts: 94
Credit: 69,632
RAC: 0

OK, I may get a bit off here

Message 6874 in response to message 6873

OK, I may get a bit off here as I don't use windows, but there should be a way to override the deferral and see what message it generates then.

If you click the project tab, then right-click on Einstein@home, one of the options should be something like update the project.

Click that option and it will try to connect again without waiting out all that time. If this connection fails, new messages will be generated in the log - which should give a clue as to what the problem is.

jeqal
jeqal
Joined: 2 Mar 05
Posts: 1
Credit: 0
RAC: 0

I can't get started at all.

I can't get started at all. I try attaching to a project and I paste both the url http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/ and my key, and it blips out, no error messages, and it doesn't start.

John McLeod VII
John McLeod VII
Moderator
Joined: 10 Nov 04
Posts: 547
Credit: 632,255
RAC: 0

> I can't get started at all.

Message 6876 in response to message 6875

> I can't get started at all. I try attaching to a project and I paste both the
> url http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/ and my key, and it blips out, no error
> messages, and it doesn't start.
>
Which version of BOINC are you using? If you have not installed 4.25 yet, please do so.

Bruce Allen
Bruce Allen
Moderator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 1,109
Credit: 172,125,663
RAC: 0

> It looks like this: > >

Message 6877 in response to message 6873

> It looks like this:
>
> 3/6/2005 4:38:10 PM||Starting BOINC client version 4.25 for windows_intelx86
> 3/6/2005 4:38:10 PM|Einstein@Home|Using your default project prefs
> 3/6/2005 4:38:10 PM||Version Change Detected (4.19 -> 4.25); running CPU
> benchmarks
> 3/6/2005 4:38:10 PM|Einstein@Home|Host ID is 36985
> 3/6/2005 4:38:10 PM||General prefs: from Einstein@Home (last modified
> 2005-02-23 00:35:07)
> 3/6/2005 4:38:10 PM||General prefs: no separate prefs for home; using your
> defaults
> 3/6/2005 4:38:10 PM||Running CPU benchmarks
> 3/6/2005 4:39:10 PM||Benchmark results:
> 3/6/2005 4:39:10 PM|| Number of CPUs: 1
> 3/6/2005 4:39:10 PM|| 1249 double precision MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU
> 3/6/2005 4:39:10 PM|| 2473 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU
> 3/6/2005 4:39:10 PM||Finished CPU benchmarks
> 3/6/2005 4:39:10 PM|Einstein@Home|Deferring communication with project for 1
> weeks, 2 days, 11 hours, 6 minutes, and 43 seconds

This is odd -- I don't know why BOINC is deferring communications for so long.
And my scheduler logs don't say why either! It looks as if you still have two WUs in progress -- is that right?

Did you do anything to your system's clock/time/date?

Cheers,
Bruce

Director, Einstein@Home

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.