Power consumpsion

Stephen "Heretic"
Stephen "Heretic"
Joined: 5 Feb 17
Posts: 94
Credit: 645,067,679
RAC: 0

   My units have a mixture of

   My units have a mixture of set ups. The older Core2 machines don't have the grunt to do much CPU work (the Core2Quad was taking over 18 hours to complete one task) so they are just life support for two of my slowest GPUs, a GTX950 and a GTX1050ti.  The original i5-6400 is supporting a GTX1050 but is running 2 x CPU tasks as well taking about 2.5 to 3.0 hours per task. The i5-6600 is on a good mobo and in a nice case and supports 2 x GTX970s, that CPU knocks over the single CPU task it is running in about 90 -95 mins and the Ryzen7-1700 supports 2 x GTX1060-6GB cards and with 16 HT cores runs 10 CPU tasks but takes a time hit for that, taking about 275 mins per task.

 

 . . The Core2 Quad uses     150W     (RAC =120K for 33.3/Wh)

 . . The Core2 Duo uses       125W     (RAC = 155K for 51.6/Wh)

 . . The i5-6400 uses           110W     (RAC = 145K for 55/Wh)

 . . The i5-6600 uses           360W     (RAC = 540K for 62.5/Wh)

 . . The Ryzen7-1700 uses   285W     (RAC = 560K for 82/Wh)

 

 . . It is winter here now so no need for A/C, the rigs keep the room at about 20 deg C. But summer here is a problem as everywhere, and I have to either run the A/C 24/7 or take other measures to reduce output and heat.  I keep toying with the idea of shutting down the least productive unit to trim the power bills a little. The Nvidias are nice cards but not as efficient as the AMD cards when running OpenCL apps so the numbers are lower than many volunteers here.  But I try to do my bit ...

 

Stephen

 

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 11,920
Credit: 1,830,973,617
RAC: 204,827

Stephen "Heretic wrote:  

Stephen "Heretic wrote:

  The older Core2 machines don't have the grunt to do much CPU work

Stephen 

You have a PM

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 5,621
Credit: 7,711,307,017
RAC: 2,421,570

I was re-reading this thread

I was re-reading this thread when it mentioned: "under volting".  I have some Radeon gpu software running on my R5700 box that under "automatic" it has a selection for "under voting".  I picked that and suddenly all my GPUs are not blowing so hot...

Thank you for the reminder.

Tom

 

A Proud member of the O.F.A.  (Old Farts Association).  Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.® (Garrison Keillor)

Mr P Hucker
Mr P Hucker
Joined: 12 Aug 06
Posts: 819
Credit: 481,405,574
RAC: 2,915

mikey wrote:Most of my pc's

mikey wrote:
Most of my pc's are in a room in the garage that has it's own mini-split a/c system cooling it so it doesn't affect the house temps at all. I need to work on better  airflow during the cooler nights and lower daytime temp days though so the a/c system can shut off when the outside temps are below the temp I have it set at, I now have all Summer to work on that. Being  in the garage though is posing a problem as the cool air has to come from someplace and just cutting a hole means the hurricane winds can come in when they come back again. I already have a 20 amp circuit in the attic for an exhaust fan to suck the air out of  the computer room but getting the fresh air in is causing problems. I live in a neighborhood with an HOA so don't  have full control over everything I could do.

Most of mine are in the garage too.  Luckily in Scotland I don't need AC if I can open windows.  I have AC in the house, since I keep all the windows shut as I have pet parrots that fly around loose.  I guess I could put caging over the open windows, but I don't like hearing traffic noise and neighbours, it's more peaceful in here with the windows shut.  Anyway, the garage has a window each end, you need windows on different sides for a through draft.  Maybe not possible for you without taking out bricks and putting in a window, what I did was (since I never have room for the car in there) I removed the main garage door and replaced it with a brick wall and a couple of windows.  There was already a window at the other end.

As for "mini-split" I looked at those and they're both expensive and require installation.  I bought one of those portable ones, which are just as effective, as long as you get one with two vents to the outside, then it's basically acting just like a mini-split.  Mine actually only had one vent so I added the second :-)  One vent is stupid, as it draws air from the house to blow outside, thereby counteracting what it's just achieved!

If this page takes an hour to load, reduce posts per page to 20 in your settings, then the tinpot 486 Einstein uses can handle it.

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 11,920
Credit: 1,830,973,617
RAC: 204,827

Peter Hucker wrote: mikey

Peter Hucker wrote:

mikey wrote:
Most of my pc's are in a room in the garage that has it's own mini-split a/c system cooling it so it doesn't affect the house temps at all. I need to work on better  airflow during the cooler nights and lower daytime temp days though so the a/c system can shut off when the outside temps are below the temp I have it set at, I now have all Summer to work on that. Being  in the garage though is posing a problem as the cool air has to come from someplace and just cutting a hole means the hurricane winds can come in when they come back again. I already have a 20 amp circuit in the attic for an exhaust fan to suck the air out of  the computer room but getting the fresh air in is causing problems. I live in a neighborhood with an HOA so don't  have full control over everything I could do.

Most of mine are in the garage too.  Luckily in Scotland I don't need AC if I can open windows.  I have AC in the house, since I keep all the windows shut as I have pet parrots that fly around loose.  I guess I could put caging over the open windows, but I don't like hearing traffic noise and neighbours, it's more peaceful in here with the windows shut.  Anyway, the garage has a window each end, you need windows on different sides for a through draft.  Maybe not possible for you without taking out bricks and putting in a window, what I did was (since I never have room for the car in there) I removed the main garage door and replaced it with a brick wall and a couple of windows.  There was already a window at the other end.

As for "mini-split" I looked at those and they're both expensive and require installation.  I bought one of those portable ones, which are just as effective, as long as you get one with two vents to the outside, then it's basically acting just like a mini-split.  Mine actually only had one vent so I added the second :-)  One vent is stupid, as it draws air from the house to blow outside, thereby counteracting what it's just achieved! 

My 'computer room' is a 7 foot wide by 12 feet long by 10 feet high room with no windows and only one door. The door is a sealed door because it's physically inside the garage and needs to be in case the car is running so no exhaust gases get into the room. The mini-splits give me the ability to keep the room cool without any in or out air flow, so the air just keeps getting cooler and cooler except for the pc's that keep warming it back up again. I had a circuit put in the to allow for an exhaust fan in one corner but that would mean leaving the garage door open to provide air flow and that means the animals come in too. There's no real room for a window because of the design, the garage is attached to and a part of the house. I have 18 pc's in the room running right now, mostly with no monitors, keyboards or mice, I remotely log into them when I need to or have extension cables on the monitor, keyboard and mouse if I'm in the room.

What part of Scotland are you in? I was in the USNavy in Dunoon in the mid 70's but didn't really travel much, I did get to Edinburgh for a weekend of shows and a tattoo though. I was on the Dry Dock not a submarine and was a plumber, carpenter and welder, welding in the rain is NOT fun!!!

Mr P Hucker
Mr P Hucker
Joined: 12 Aug 06
Posts: 819
Credit: 481,405,574
RAC: 2,915

mikey wrote:My 'computer

mikey wrote:

My 'computer room' is a 7 foot wide by 12 feet long by 10 feet high room with no windows and only one door. The door is a sealed door because it's physically inside the garage and needs to be in case the car is running so no exhaust gases get into the room. The mini-splits give me the ability to keep the room cool without any in or out air flow, so the air just keeps getting cooler and cooler except for the pc's that keep warming it back up again. I had a circuit put in the to allow for an exhaust fan in one corner but that would mean leaving the garage door open to provide air flow and that means the animals come in too. There's no real room for a window because of the design, the garage is attached to and a part of the house. I have 18 pc's in the room running right now, mostly with no monitors, keyboards or mice, I remotely log into them when I need to or have extension cables on the monitor, keyboard and mouse if I'm in the room.

What part of Scotland are you in? I was in the USNavy in Dunoon in the mid 70's but didn't really travel much, I did get to Edinburgh for a weekend of shows and a tattoo though. I was on the Dry Dock not a submarine and was a plumber, carpenter and welder, welding in the rain is NOT fun!!!

Why do you need to keep the exhaust out of the room?  I don't think the computers would care.  Or do you sit in there a lot?

Are there no outside walls to make a hole and attach a window?  Best if you could get air flowing right through it, perhaps two vents to the outside with a fan if necessary?  As for the garage door, what about a grille vent on it?  Both the windows in my garage have a grid on them to stop the neighbour's cat getting in.  Cat piss on circuit boards is very bad, it's highly corrosive.

I'm in the middle of Scotland, about 40 minutes drive west of Edinburgh.

If this page takes an hour to load, reduce posts per page to 20 in your settings, then the tinpot 486 Einstein uses can handle it.

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 11,920
Credit: 1,830,973,617
RAC: 204,827

Peter Hucker wrote: mikey

Peter Hucker wrote:

mikey wrote:

My 'computer room' is a 7 foot wide by 12 feet long by 10 feet high room with no windows and only one door. The door is a sealed door because it's physically inside the garage and needs to be in case the car is running so no exhaust gases get into the room. The mini-splits give me the ability to keep the room cool without any in or out air flow, so the air just keeps getting cooler and cooler except for the pc's that keep warming it back up again. I had a circuit put in the to allow for an exhaust fan in one corner but that would mean leaving the garage door open to provide air flow and that means the animals come in too. There's no real room for a window because of the design, the garage is attached to and a part of the house. I have 18 pc's in the room running right now, mostly with no monitors, keyboards or mice, I remotely log into them when I need to or have extension cables on the monitor, keyboard and mouse if I'm in the room.

What part of Scotland are you in? I was in the USNavy in Dunoon in the mid 70's but didn't really travel much, I did get to Edinburgh for a weekend of shows and a tattoo though. I was on the Dry Dock not a submarine and was a plumber, carpenter and welder, welding in the rain is NOT fun!!!

Why do you need to keep the exhaust out of the room?  I don't think the computers would care.  Or do you sit in there a lot?

Are there no outside walls to make a hole and attach a window?  Best if you could get air flowing right through it, perhaps two vents to the outside with a fan if necessary?  As for the garage door, what about a grille vent on it?  Both the windows in my garage have a grid on them to stop the neighbour's cat getting in.  Cat piss on circuit boards is very bad, it's highly corrosive.

I'm in the middle of Scotland, about 40 minutes drive west of Edinburgh. 

I could put a window in the computer room but I live in a Hurricane area, I live near Myrtle Beach South Carolina in the US and any hurricane could take out the computers so no windows. I could also put a vent in the garage door but again hurricanes and driving rain will go right thru it, even with a cover, I asked, so none of that either. What I was doing was leaving the garage door open a few inches and then leaving the door to the computer room open to blow cooler air in and draw the hotter air out but without an exhaust vent it doesn't work well. My wife then compained about the critters come in, some snakes went into my neighbors garage but I haven't seen any in ours and YES I moved everything and checked, so just frogs, lizards and a few birds so far. The birds are actually funny to watch they scrunch waaaay down and kind of waddle under the door then can't figure out how to get back out even if I open the garage door all the way, they keep flying up on top of the garage door!! It took me 15 minutes to get the last one out and twice he was out by a few inches and came back IN AGAIN!! I thought maybe they were making a nest but I never found anything, now I just leave it closed when I'm not physically using the garage or in the yard doing stuff.

And yes I sit in the computer room sometimes as I work to keep the pc's running, some are over 10 years old but having dual quad core intel xeon cpu's means they have 16 cpu cores crunching so they are worth the trouble. They have had Win10 on them, free upgrades, but now MS is making them slower and slower so I'm trying Linux Mint but the damn thing won't stop downloading updates and filling up the harddrive stopping my crunching!! I've tried turning them off and even deleted a folder or two but they just won't stop, I even did a 'crontab' job and it just immediately redownloads the updates. These are JUST crunchers I don't do anything else with them and sometimes it's 2 or 3 times per day i have to delete the files and restart the machine TWICE and then they will crunch for a bit again. I'm trying Ubuntu again to see if it's better but I also have some Win7 dvd's I will try too.

Mr P Hucker
Mr P Hucker
Joined: 12 Aug 06
Posts: 819
Credit: 481,405,574
RAC: 2,915

mikey wrote:I could put a

mikey wrote:
I could put a window in the computer room but I live in a Hurricane area, I live near Myrtle Beach South Carolina in the US and any hurricane could take out the computers so no windows. I could also put a vent in the garage door but again hurricanes and driving rain will go right thru it, even with a cover, I asked, so none of that either. What I was doing was leaving the garage door open a few inches and then leaving the door to the computer room open to blow cooler air in and draw the hotter air out but without an exhaust vent it doesn't work well. My wife then compained about the critters come in, some snakes went into my neighbors garage but I haven't seen any in ours and YES I moved everything and checked, so just frogs, lizards and a few birds so far. The birds are actually funny to watch they scrunch waaaay down and kind of waddle under the door then can't figure out how to get back out even if I open the garage door all the way, they keep flying up on top of the garage door!! It took me 15 minutes to get the last one out and twice he was out by a few inches and came back IN AGAIN!! I thought maybe they were making a nest but I never found anything, now I just leave it closed when I'm not physically using the garage or in the yard doing stuff.

Ah, hurricanes, ok that makes things more difficult.  If it were me I'd make my own vents that were very strong.

I once met a woman who was scared of birds (and I mean the little ones that are like 3 inches long).  I was in her garage chatting when one flew in and she freaked out like someone would with a tarantula.

My parents had swallows nesting in their garage, which was quite funny, as they got in through the open side door.  They left the door open all summer for them, then closed it for winter when they'd flown south.  The next year the same pair came back to the same nest and couldn't get in, so they circled around my parents when they were eating lunch in the garden, "asking" them to open the door!  Unfortunately, a couple of years ago, he found one of the swallows had accidentally hung himself from a piece of fishing line caught around his neck.  He made it back to the nest but got tangled up on something.  If I or my father ever find that bloody fisherman, something will be going round his neck.

mikey wrote:
And yes I sit in the computer room sometimes as I work to keep the pc's running, some are over 10 years old but having dual quad core intel xeon cpu's means they have 16 cpu cores crunching so they are worth the trouble.

I usually fix mine using a remote desktop program (not the MS one, that shuts down the GPU tasks!), but yes sometimes I pop out there to physically sort something.  But if you do have to go out there, you can always let the fumes back out.  Or get an electric car!

mikey wrote:
They have had Win10 on them, free upgrades,

Yeah mine were er.... free too.

mikey wrote:
but now MS is making them slower and slower so I'm trying Linux Mint but the damn thing won't stop downloading updates and filling up the harddrive stopping my crunching!! I've tried turning them off and even deleted a folder or two but they just won't stop, I even did a 'crontab' job and it just immediately redownloads the updates. These are JUST crunchers I don't do anything else with them and sometimes it's 2 or 3 times per day i have to delete the files and restart the machine TWICE and then they will crunch for a bit again. I'm trying Ubuntu again to see if it's better but I also have some Win7 dvd's I will try too.



I don't have any problems with Windows 10, and the PCs are up to 12 years old.  I did try Ubuntu on one of them as someone said it's faster for some projects (and it was, but only for a couple), but I was so unimpressed I removed it.  Simply installing a program had me checking with google several times!

If this page takes an hour to load, reduce posts per page to 20 in your settings, then the tinpot 486 Einstein uses can handle it.

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 11,920
Credit: 1,830,973,617
RAC: 204,827

Peter Hucker wrote:mikey

Quote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

mikey wrote:
And yes I sit in the computer room sometimes as I work to keep the pc's running, some are over 10 years old but having dual quad core intel xeon cpu's means they have 16 cpu cores crunching so they are worth the trouble.

I usually fix mine using a remote desktop program (not the MS one, that shuts down the GPU tasks!), but yes sometimes I pop out there to physically sort something.  But if you do have to go out there, you can always let the fumes back out.  Or get an electric car!

I actually get an electric golf cart in the garage, no cars so no fumes anyway. I use VNC to get into mine

mikey wrote:
Quote:
They have had Win10 on them, free upgrades,

Yeah mine were er.... free too.

Yup mine too, that's the Win7 disks I still have and they still work the same way as before.

mikey wrote:
Quote:
but now MS is making them slower and slower so I'm trying Linux Mint but the damn thing won't stop downloading updates and filling up the harddrive stopping my crunching!! I've tried turning them off and even deleted a folder or two but they just won't stop, I even did a 'crontab' job and it just immediately redownloads the updates. These are JUST crunchers I don't do anything else with them and sometimes it's 2 or 3 times per day i have to delete the files and restart the machine TWICE and then they will crunch for a bit again. I'm trying Ubuntu again to see if it's better but I also have some Win7 dvd's I will try too.


I don't have any problems with Windows 10, and the PCs are up to 12 years old.  I did try Ubuntu on one of them as someone said it's faster for some projects (and it was, but only for a couple), but I was so unimpressed I removed it.  Simply installing a program had me checking with google several times! 

I usually use the program Synaptic to install programs, it's gui and easy but I'm thinking of swapping them all back to Win7 and be done with them.

Mr P Hucker
Mr P Hucker
Joined: 12 Aug 06
Posts: 819
Credit: 481,405,574
RAC: 2,915

mikey wrote:I actually get an

mikey wrote:
I actually get an electric golf cart in the garage, no cars so no fumes anyway.

You said earlier, "The door is a sealed door because it's physically inside the garage and needs to be in case the car is running so no exhaust gases get into the room."

mikey wrote:
Yup mine too, that's the Win7 disks I still have and they still work the same way as before.

I thought the Win 10 free upgrade had stopped?

mikey wrote:
I'm thinking of swapping them all back to Win7 and be done with them.

I see no advantage of 7 over 10, just a higher chance of crashes etc.

If this page takes an hour to load, reduce posts per page to 20 in your settings, then the tinpot 486 Einstein uses can handle it.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.