Crunch Time S5 Workunits

xi3piscium
xi3piscium
Joined: 13 Dec 05
Posts: 55
Credit: 30,088
RAC: 0
Topic 191399

I just recieved my first batch of S5 wu's. I'm looking at an ETC of 23hrs on the wu that is crunching as I write, iMac G5 PPC 1.9Ghz 1.0Gb RAM. Unix CLI 5.4.9

Is this one of the long wu's?

Jaco

Honza
Honza
Joined: 10 Nov 04
Posts: 136
Credit: 3,332,354
RAC: 0

Crunch Time S5 Workunits

As your computer is hidden, we can't see WU name.
As you haven't provide WU name, we can only guess.

I would guess it's a longer one.

[B^S] Elphidieus
[B^S] Elphidieus
Joined: 20 Feb 05
Posts: 222
Credit: 12,347,408
RAC: 0

I have the same system as

I have the same system as yours, and my first S5 WU completed close to 11 hours.....

Terry
Terry
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 55
Credit: 1,781,475
RAC: 0

09:43:07 for the first one I

09:43:07 for the first one I got on an AMD XP 2800. I have a few others, but their turn hasn't come yet.

Yin Gang
Yin Gang
Joined: 23 Feb 05
Posts: 52
Credit: 120,187,750
RAC: 2

My first S5 workunit

My first S5 workunit (h1_0251.0_S5R1__11430_S5R1a) has completed in 1h19m on an AthlonXP 2100+ machine.

Welcome To Team China!

Nothing But Idle Time
Nothing But Idl...
Joined: 24 Aug 05
Posts: 158
Credit: 289,204
RAC: 0

Bernd said: To make up for

Bernd said: To make up for the faster Apps we increased the size of the workunits. The "long" ones will be roughly five times as long as the "long" ones from S4, the "short" ones will be roughly twice as long as their S4 counterparts.

My first long S5 WU completes in 19 hours which is 9.5x longer (measured in time) than the long S4 WU which takes me 2 hours using Akos S39L. This raises my eyebrow! Maybe these WUs are a little too long and/or the app isn't fast enough or cpu specific enough. I'm using Intel P4 3GHz/HT on and 100% EaH. I think the small L1 cache must come into play on my machine. Like someone else said, I can live with any size WU, but I "feel" more comfortable with shorter run times. I will go with the flow, however.

DanNeely
DanNeely
Joined: 4 Sep 05
Posts: 1,289
Credit: 1,527,262,782
RAC: 999,353

RE: Bernd said: To make

Message 38088 in response to message 38087

Quote:

Bernd said: To make up for the faster Apps we increased the size of the workunits. The "long" ones will be roughly five times as long as the "long" ones from S4, the "short" ones will be roughly twice as long as their S4 counterparts.

My first long S5 WU completes in 19 hours which is 9.5x longer (measured in time) than the long S4 WU which takes me 2 hours using Akos S39L. This raises my eyebrow! Maybe these WUs are a little too long and/or the app isn't fast enough or cpu specific enough. I'm using Intel P4 3GHz/HT on and 100% EaH. I think the small L1 cache must come into play on my machine. Like someone else said, I can live with any size WU, but I "feel" more comfortable with shorter run times. I will go with the flow, however.

This is only half the story though since the s5 app is ~3x faster than the stock s4 one. This means that the WUs will take about twice as long to complete at the momement. The s5 app is still being worked on to get it closer to akos's s4 speeds. Doing that will reduce the runtime to stock s4ish levels which is what the project apparently views as an optimal size.

RandyC
RandyC
Joined: 18 Jan 05
Posts: 2,586
Credit: 107,430,283
RAC: 20,900

RE: 09:43:07 for the first

Message 38089 in response to message 38085

Quote:
09:43:07 for the first one I got on an AMD XP 2800. I have a few others, but their turn hasn't come yet.

14 hrs 42 mins for first S5 WU. This on an AMD XP 1600+ system.

Got 138.83 credit...works out to approx. 9.45 CS/hr

Seti Classic Final Total: 11446 WU.

Terry
Terry
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 55
Credit: 1,781,475
RAC: 0

RE: 14 hrs 42 mins for

Message 38090 in response to message 38089

Quote:


14 hrs 42 mins for first S5 WU. This on an AMD XP 1600+ system.

Got 138.83 credit...works out to approx. 9.45 CS/hr

I can live with that. Mine has yet to be validated. Interesting that your claim (the lower of the two) was also what was granted.

[B@H] Ray
[B@H] Ray
Joined: 4 Jun 05
Posts: 621
Credit: 49,583
RAC: 0

RE: RE: 14 hrs 42 mins

Message 38091 in response to message 38090

Quote:
Quote:


14 hrs 42 mins for first S5 WU. This on an AMD XP 1600+ system.

Got 138.83 credit...works out to approx. 9.45 CS/hr

I can live with that. Mine has yet to be validated. Interesting that your claim (the lower of the two) was also what was granted.


Is it built into the valiadator to use the lower of the two when there are onlt two sent out? If I remember correct uFluids was doing it that way when they first started up. With two units averageing them seems to be the fairest, but as long as the same for all it is fair.
Ray


Try the Pizza@Home project, good crunching.

Svenie25
Svenie25
Joined: 21 Mar 05
Posts: 139
Credit: 2,436,862
RAC: 0

RE: I can live with that.

Message 38092 in response to message 38090

Quote:

I can live with that. Mine has yet to be validated. Interesting that your claim (the lower of the two) was also what was granted.

Normally the host should claim the same credits, if I understand the new creditsystem right. Wondering about.

My first short S5: http://einsteinathome.org/task/34194416

53 minutes on a A64 3500+.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.