Boinc-Client doesn't find GPU after a reboot and refuses to accept commands

Altair
Altair
Joined: 18 May 13
Posts: 6
Credit: 23,171,937
RAC: 0
Topic 197221

Using Ubuntu 12.04.3 everytime I reboot my System Boinc-Client starts working without finding my GPU (GeForce GT 540M).

Opening Boinc-Manager in those lines of GPU-WUs it says like 'No GPU found'.

I have the current nvidia-driver:(I'm sorry, it's German.)

:~$ jockey-text -l
xorg:nvidia_319 - Beschleunigter Grafiktreiber von NVIDIA (Proprietär, Deaktiviert, Nicht benutzt)
xorg:nvidia_319_updates - Beschleunigter Grafiktreiber von NVIDIA (Nachträgliche Aktualisierungen) (Proprietär, Aktiviert, In Benutzung)


It's like: xorg:nvidia_319 ... (proprietary, deactivated, unused)
xorg:nvidia_319_updates ... (updated) (proprietary, activated, used)

and after I restart Boinc-Client by using

sudo /etc/init.d/boinc-client restart'

it works just fine.

I tried installing the CUDA-driver, following the instructions behind the link on http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Installing_BOINC_on_Ubuntu, but it did not show the result it was supposed to and did not change anything.

An other thing is, sometimes I cannot connect boinc to boincmgr or boinccmd. When I try, BOINC-Manager can not find localhost and boinccmd returns 'Authorization failure -155'. In this case it works after I delete '~/gui_rpc_auth.cfg'.
This problem does not always appear. I have not yet found out, when.

What can I do to make things work by themselves, so I do not have to set everything up everytime I turn on my notebook? The only things I did were (on a just-installed system): I installed BOINC using apt-get boinc boinc-client boinc-manager and after I found out how to use boinccmd, I connected it via boinccmd --lookup_account einstein.phys.uwm.edu 'Email' 'Password' and boinccmd --project_attach einstein.phys.uwm.edu 'account-key'.

(At this point the boinccmd-manual via 'boinccmd --help' shows '--project_attach URL auth'. I did not understand this line until I found the same manual at http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Boinccmd_tool where it says '--project_attach URL account_key'.)

Thanks

Jord
Joined: 26 Jan 05
Posts: 2,952
Credit: 5,685,537
RAC: 431

Boinc-Client doesn't find GPU after a reboot and refuses to acce

Wait for your OS to load fully before starting BOINC. The problem with that your GPU cannot be found is the slow loading of the video drivers. As long as you allow for the OS to fully load before starting BOINC, this remedies itself.

See Debian/Ubuntu/Mint/Derivatives - GPU recognition fixes for how to automate this.

Altair
Altair
Joined: 18 May 13
Posts: 6
Credit: 23,171,937
RAC: 0

Thanks for that information.

Thanks for that information. It works now. But only by using "Fix #1". Moving Boinc to the end of the start-up sequence did not solve it.

Stephan Goll
Stephan Goll
Joined: 13 Dec 05
Posts: 25
Credit: 27,834,196
RAC: 0

RE: ... An other thing is,

Quote:

...

An other thing is, sometimes I cannot connect boinc to boincmgr or boinccmd. When I try, BOINC-Manager can not find localhost and boinccmd returns 'Authorization failure -155'. In this case it works after I delete '~/gui_rpc_auth.cfg'.
This problem does not always appear. I have not yet found out, when.

...

I think this error can be caused by the network manager. I would guess that your /etc/hosts file misses a line like:
127.0.0.1 localhost
You may add this line and please report if this helps.
Stephan

Altair
Altair
Joined: 18 May 13
Posts: 6
Credit: 23,171,937
RAC: 0

Since i had the driver-issue

Since i had the driver-issue fixed, it hasn't occured again.

DIGGER01
DIGGER01
Joined: 28 Sep 10
Posts: 3
Credit: 1,028,799
RAC: 0

Hi, I’m running Ubuntu

Hi, I’m running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, a few days ago I started having problems with my Boinc client not accepting new Wu’sThu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Starting BOINC client version 7.0.65 for i686-pc-linux-gnu
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | log flags: file_xfer, sched_ops, task
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Libraries: libcurl/7.22.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1 zlib/1.2.3.4 libidn/1.23 librtmp/2.3
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Data directory: /var/lib/boinc-client
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Processor: 2 GenuineIntel Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2160 @ 1.80GHz [Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 2]
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Processor features: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | OS: Linux: 3.5.0-45-generic
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Memory: 1.96 GB physical, 1014.00 MB virtual
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Disk: 52.60 GB total, 36.72 GB free
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Local time is UTC +0 hours
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | No usable GPUs found
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Config: GUI RPCs allowed from:
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | Einstein@Home | URL http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/; Computer ID 7301020; resource share 100
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | Einstein@Home | General prefs: from Einstein@Home (last modified 18-Jan-2014 21:41:52)
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | Einstein@Home | Host location: none
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | Einstein@Home | General prefs: using your defaults
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Reading preferences override file
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Preferences:
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | max memory usage when active: 1988.52MB
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | max memory usage when idle: 1807.75MB
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | max disk usage: 2.00GB
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | (to change preferences, visit a project web site or select Preferences in the Manager)
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | gui_rpc_auth.cfg is empty - no GUI RPC password protection
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Not using a proxy
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:05 GMT | Einstein@Home | Restarting task LATeah0051U_624.0_2860_0.0_2 using hsgamma_FGRP2 version 112 in slot 0
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:05 GMT | Einstein@Home | Restarting task LATeah0052C_32.0_208_-5.34e-10_1 using hsgamma_FGRP3 version 109 in slot 1
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:28 GMT | Einstein@Home | update requested by user
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:31 GMT | Einstein@Home | Sending scheduler request: Requested by user.
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:31 GMT | Einstein@Home | Requesting new tasks for CPU
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:34 GMT | Einstein@Home | Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:34 GMT | Einstein@Home | No work sent
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:34 GMT | Einstein@Home | see scheduler log messages on http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu//host_sched_logs/7301/7301020
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:34 GMT | Einstein@Home | Gravitational Wave S6 Directed Search (CasA) needs 58.98MB more disk space. You currently have 36.39 MB available and it needs 95.37 MB.
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:34 GMT | Einstein@Home | Binary Radio Pulsar Search (Arecibo) is not available for your type of computer.
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:34:57 GMT | Einstein@Home | update requested by user
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:35:02 GMT | Einstein@Home | Sending scheduler request: Requested by user.
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:35:02 GMT | Einstein@Home | Requesting new tasks for CPU
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:35:05 GMT | Einstein@Home | Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:35:05 GMT | Einstein@Home | No work sent
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:35:05 GMT | Einstein@Home | see scheduler log messages on http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu//host_sched_logs/7301/7301020
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:35:05 GMT | Einstein@Home | Gravitational Wave S6 Directed Search (CasA) needs 58.98MB more disk space. You currently have 36.39 MB available and it needs 95.37 MB.
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:35:05 GMT | Einstein@Home | Binary Radio Pulsar Search (Arecibo) is not available for your type of computer.
How do I change my settings to allow fresh work, i.e. increase the amount of available space boinc needs, and also update the client, I’m currently stuck with version 7.0.65 but the latest is 7.2.33...thanks in advance. Digger.

Holmis
Joined: 4 Jan 05
Posts: 1,118
Credit: 792,036,928
RAC: 152,301

Open Boinc manager and click

Open Boinc manager and click "Tools -> Computing preferences", then on the "Disk and memory usage"-tab change the disk usage settings to allow Boinc to use at least 100 MB more disk space.

According to the log you have limited Boinc to 2 GB of disk usage and now there's only 36.39 MB left available.

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 6,238
Credit: 550,370,554
RAC: 170,061

RE: Hi, I’m running

Quote:
Hi, I’m running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, a few days ago I started having problems with my Boinc client not accepting new Wu’sThu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Starting BOINC client version 7.0.65 for i686-pc-linux-gnu
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | log flags: file_xfer, sched_ops, task
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Libraries: libcurl/7.22.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1 zlib/1.2.3.4 libidn/1.23 librtmp/2.3
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Data directory: /var/lib/boinc-client
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Processor: 2 GenuineIntel Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2160 @ 1.80GHz [Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 2]
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Processor features: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | OS: Linux: 3.5.0-45-generic
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Memory: 1.96 GB physical, 1014.00 MB virtual
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Disk: 52.60 GB total, 36.72 GB free
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Local time is UTC +0 hours
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | No usable GPUs found
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Config: GUI RPCs allowed from:
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | Einstein@Home | URL http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/; Computer ID 7301020; resource share 100
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | Einstein@Home | General prefs: from Einstein@Home (last modified 18-Jan-2014 21:41:52)
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | Einstein@Home | Host location: none
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | Einstein@Home | General prefs: using your defaults
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Reading preferences override file
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Preferences:
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | max memory usage when active: 1988.52MB
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | max memory usage when idle: 1807.75MB
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | max disk usage: 2.00GB
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | (to change preferences, visit a project web site or select Preferences in the Manager)
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | gui_rpc_auth.cfg is empty - no GUI RPC password protection
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Not using a proxy
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:05 GMT | Einstein@Home | Restarting task LATeah0051U_624.0_2860_0.0_2 using hsgamma_FGRP2 version 112 in slot 0
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:05 GMT | Einstein@Home | Restarting task LATeah0052C_32.0_208_-5.34e-10_1 using hsgamma_FGRP3 version 109 in slot 1
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:28 GMT | Einstein@Home | update requested by user
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:31 GMT | Einstein@Home | Sending scheduler request: Requested by user.
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:31 GMT | Einstein@Home | Requesting new tasks for CPU
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:34 GMT | Einstein@Home | Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:34 GMT | Einstein@Home | No work sent
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:34 GMT | Einstein@Home | see scheduler log messages on http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu//host_sched_logs/7301/7301020
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:34 GMT | Einstein@Home | Gravitational Wave S6 Directed Search (CasA) needs 58.98MB more disk space. You currently have 36.39 MB available and it needs 95.37 MB.
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:34 GMT | Einstein@Home | Binary Radio Pulsar Search (Arecibo) is not available for your type of computer.
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:34:57 GMT | Einstein@Home | update requested by user
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:35:02 GMT | Einstein@Home | Sending scheduler request: Requested by user.
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:35:02 GMT | Einstein@Home | Requesting new tasks for CPU
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:35:05 GMT | Einstein@Home | Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:35:05 GMT | Einstein@Home | No work sent
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:35:05 GMT | Einstein@Home | see scheduler log messages on http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu//host_sched_logs/7301/7301020
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:35:05 GMT | Einstein@Home | Gravitational Wave S6 Directed Search (CasA) needs 58.98MB more disk space. You currently have 36.39 MB available and it needs 95.37 MB.
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:35:05 GMT | Einstein@Home | Binary Radio Pulsar Search (Arecibo) is not available for your type of computer.
How do I change my settings to allow fresh work, i.e. increase the amount of available space boinc needs, and also update the client, I’m currently stuck with version 7.0.65 but the latest is 7.2.33...thanks in advance. Digger.

First I'm guessing this line needs fixing:
"Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:09:34 GMT | Einstein@Home | Gravitational Wave S6 Directed Search (CasA) needs 58.98MB more disk space. You currently have 36.39 MB available and it needs 95.37 MB."

Then you can work on the next error. To do this go into the Boinc Manager and adjust the setting under Tools, computing preferences, then the disk and memory usage tab. The top 3 lines..use at most, leave at least and use at most again are the 3 relevant lines.

To download new Boinc versions you can always get them here:
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/?C=M;O=D

Be careful as both Alpha and Beta versions as well as the release versions are on the list. Here is the changelog website link:
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_forum.php?id=2

DIGGER01
DIGGER01
Joined: 28 Sep 10
Posts: 3
Credit: 1,028,799
RAC: 0

Many thanks, adjusted the

Many thanks, adjusted the settings as you suggested and now have plenty of work to keep me going, (so simple I never thought of doing it in the client itself...dohhhh), still having probs' with an upgrade, any recommendations or hints, Ubuntu software centre is still only offering my current version and terminal tells me it is the current/up to date one. Again thanks.

Richard Haselgrove
Richard Haselgrove
Joined: 10 Dec 05
Posts: 1,935
Credit: 270,761,320
RAC: 241,560

RE: Many thanks, adjusted

Quote:
Many thanks, adjusted the settings as you suggested and now have plenty of work to keep me going, (so simple I never thought of doing it in the client itself...dohhhh), still having probs' with an upgrade, any recommendations or hints, Ubuntu software centre is still only offering my current version and terminal tells me it is the current/up to date one. Again thanks.


BOINC has two distinct places for configuring options like these. You can either do it via your account page on this website, or directly via the client.

Now that you have set at least one preference locally, you have created an 'override' file which contains ALL your current preference data (not just the one you changed). So, from this point forward, only changes you make locally will have any effect - the website settings will have no effect if you change them.

That's nothing to worry about - it's probably the way that most experienced users round here run things (hence the advice that you got...): just remember, in case you get advice to change the website version if you have another problem in the future. Alternatively, you can set the matching setting via the website (it'll be on the computing preferences page), and use the 'clear' button on the client preferences dialog to delete the override file and return control to the website-managed preferences.

Holmis
Joined: 4 Jan 05
Posts: 1,118
Credit: 792,036,928
RAC: 152,301

I check the posted log and

I check the posted log and saw this line:

Quote:
Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:06:00 GMT | | Reading preferences override file


Hence my advise to do it locally, otherwise I'd linked to the prefs on the website. =)

Regarding how to update Boinc in Linux I'll have to defer to someone more knowledgeable as I don't run any Linux boxes...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.