Won't run E@H any longer

KWSN-Sir Forth of Erebourne
KWSN-Sir Forth ...
Joined: 5 Jul 08
Posts: 1
Credit: 118,326
RAC: 0
Topic 194406

I have Seti weighted 200 to Einstein's 100, but all I have run for the last two days is Einstein because they are "High Priority". Einstein also downloads almost as many WU's as Seti despite the my preferences and the fact that Einstein WU's take four times longer to run and are due in two weeks instead of three. I may try again in four to six months to see if these problems have been fixed, but I am detaching from the project as soon as the currently active units are finished.

KSMarksPsych
KSMarksPsych
Moderator
Joined: 15 Oct 05
Posts: 2,702
Credit: 4,090,227
RAC: 0

Won't run E@H any longer

It's not E@H. It only gives what your client asks for. Please tell us what version BOINC you're using as a start. There are recent version with very strange scheduler behavior.

Kathryn :o)

Einstein@Home Moderator

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 7,618
Credit: 616,629,684
RAC: 9,294

RE: I have Seti weighted

Quote:
I have Seti weighted 200 to Einstein's 100, but all I have run for the last two days is Einstein because they are "High Priority". Einstein also downloads almost as many WU's as Seti despite the my preferences and the fact that Einstein WU's take four times longer to run and are due in two weeks instead of three. I may try again in four to six months to see if these problems have been fixed, but I am detaching from the project as soon as the currently active units are finished.

You do also realize Seti was down for a bit and had no work, which means the only other project to get work from, in your case, is Einstein? When Seti has more work AND your current Einstein units are completed you should get only Seti work for awhile.

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 7,618
Credit: 616,629,684
RAC: 9,294

RE: It's not E@H. It only

Message 93440 in response to message 93438

Quote:
It's not E@H. It only gives what your client asks for. Please tell us what version BOINC you're using as a start. There are recent version with very strange scheduler behavior.

Unless he upgraded since the last units that got credits he is using version 6.6.28 on one pc and 6.2.19 on the other pc.

Winterknight
Winterknight
Joined: 4 Jun 05
Posts: 482
Credit: 190,464,664
RAC: 110,846

One thing you have to

One thing you have to remember is that the BOINC client has a "silly" rule that it must keep your task cache full at all times.
This means that when tasks are requested from a project that cannot supply, Seti in your case, it will fill the cache from another project, (Einstein). Then when it next contacts the original project (Seti) it fills its cache as normal. Net result you have "way too many Tasks". This can lead to the High prioriy mode you are now seeing.
So it is quite probable that your complaint should not be with Einstein, or Seti, but the BOINC developers.

Wurgl (speak^Wcrunching for Special: Off-Topic)
Wurgl (speak^Wc...
Joined: 11 Feb 05
Posts: 321
Credit: 140,550,008
RAC: 0

RE: ... Then when it next

Message 93442 in response to message 93441

Quote:
... Then when it next contacts the original project (Seti) it fills its cache as normal. Net result you have "way too many Tasks". This can lead to the High prioriy mode you are now seeing. ...

And sometimes a project sends a monster WU, like SETI did. more than 1 million seconds did it take on the partner who has already finished. And although the deadline is July, 18th it is running on high priority for 66 hours (I think, it will take another 50 hours to finish).

boinc is sometimes very strange :-)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.