Windows S5R4 SSE2 power App 6.05 available

DanNeely
DanNeely
Joined: 4 Sep 05
Posts: 1,353
Credit: 2,201,487,046
RAC: 2,540,651

Argh!! I was wondering why

Argh!!

I was wondering why my laptop was running noticably slower after installing this app when I remembered that Yonah doesn't do SSE2. Can anyone give me an xml file to switch inprogress tasks back from 6.05 to 6.04?

Byron S Goodgame
Byron S Goodgame
Joined: 16 Jan 06
Posts: 187
Credit: 56,581
RAC: 0

RE: Argh!! I was wondering

Message 86651 in response to message 86650

Quote:

Argh!!

I was wondering why my laptop was running noticably slower after installing this app when I remembered that Yonah doesn't do SSE2. Can anyone give me an xml file to switch inprogress tasks back from 6.05 to 6.04?


I could be wrong, but I believe not only does Yonah have SSE2 but SSE3 instructions as well.

jedirock
jedirock
Joined: 11 Jun 06
Posts: 23
Credit: 1,517,411
RAC: 0

RE: RE: Argh!! I was

Message 86652 in response to message 86651

Quote:
Quote:

Argh!!

I was wondering why my laptop was running noticably slower after installing this app when I remembered that Yonah doesn't do SSE2. Can anyone give me an xml file to switch inprogress tasks back from 6.05 to 6.04?


I could be wrong, but I believe not only does Yonah have SSE2 but SSE3 instructions as well.


Correct. Yonah is the first generation Core Duos (if I remember correctly) and does support SSE2, SSE3, and SSSE3. I can confirm this firsthand as my Mac uses a Yonah core at 2.0GHz.

EDIT: Actually, all Intel Core processors (only Core, NOT Core 2) are Yonah cores.

DanNeely
DanNeely
Joined: 4 Sep 05
Posts: 1,353
Credit: 2,201,487,046
RAC: 2,540,651

huh. If that's not the

huh. If that's not the problem, I'm baffled at its performance. With 604 it was averaging ~20hrs/WU, the same as my desktop. Now the dekstop's runnign ~12hrs, while it's at 30. Other apps aren't taking more than a few percent of the CPUs time, and every time I've checked over the last few days it's been running at full speed so it's not thermal throttling...

Byron S Goodgame
Byron S Goodgame
Joined: 16 Jan 06
Posts: 187
Credit: 56,581
RAC: 0

RE: huh. If that's not the

Message 86654 in response to message 86653

Quote:
huh. If that's not the problem, I'm baffled at its performance. With 604 it was averaging ~20hrs/WU, the same as my desktop. Now the dekstop's runnign ~12hrs, while it's at 30. Other apps aren't taking more than a few percent of the CPUs time, and every time I've checked over the last few days it's been running at full speed so it's not thermal throttling...

Here's some info I was reading through

Quote:
The shortcomings of Intel Core (Yonah) are:
integer performance decreased slightly due to higher latency cache
The same or even slightly worse performance per watt in single threaded or non-parallel applications compared to its predecessor.
32-bit processes only. 64-bit processes are not supported.
High memory latency due to the lack of on-die memory controller (further aggravated by system-chipset's use of DDR-II RAM)
Limited Floating Point Unit (multiply/divide) throughput for non-parallel computations or single-threaded processes; this is due to the smaller number of floating-point units in each CPU core compared to some previous designs.
The Yonah platform requires all main-memory transactions to pass through the Northbridge of the chipset, increasing latency
jedirock
jedirock
Joined: 11 Jun 06
Posts: 23
Credit: 1,517,411
RAC: 0

RE: Here's some info I was

Message 86655 in response to message 86654

Quote:

Here's some info I was reading through

Quote:
The shortcomings of Intel Core (Yonah) are:
integer performance decreased slightly due to higher latency cache
The same or even slightly worse performance per watt in single threaded or non-parallel applications compared to its predecessor.
32-bit processes only. 64-bit processes are not supported.
High memory latency due to the lack of on-die memory controller (further aggravated by system-chipset's use of DDR-II RAM)
Limited Floating Point Unit (multiply/divide) throughput for non-parallel computations or single-threaded processes; this is due to the smaller number of floating-point units in each CPU core compared to some previous designs.
The Yonah platform requires all main-memory transactions to pass through the Northbridge of the chipset, increasing latency


That must be comparing it to AMD processors. AMD's had on-die memory controllers for a while (it's called HyperTransport), but Intel's just started doing it with their Nehalem processors being released on the 17th (this Monday). So those memory latency problems can be attributed to basically any Intel processor, since they've been using the front side bus to the Northbridge for quite a while now.

And yes, Core Duo/Yonah was one of the last 32-bit only processors. As most people have figured out, the Core 2 series are all 64-bit, and Intel stopped making the Pentium brand in 2006. One thing I hadn't quite noticed when buying the Mac... Now I'm stuck with 32-bit on the Mac, which has proved to be quite an annoyance at times.

Byron S Goodgame
Byron S Goodgame
Joined: 16 Jan 06
Posts: 187
Credit: 56,581
RAC: 0

RE: huh. If that's not the

Message 86656 in response to message 86653

Quote:
huh. If that's not the problem, I'm baffled at its performance. With 604 it was averaging ~20hrs/WU, the same as my desktop. Now the dekstop's runnign ~12hrs, while it's at 30. Other apps aren't taking more than a few percent of the CPUs time, and every time I've checked over the last few days it's been running at full speed so it's not thermal throttling...


Could be just an update of BOINC from 5.8.15 might help.

DanNeely
DanNeely
Joined: 4 Sep 05
Posts: 1,353
Credit: 2,201,487,046
RAC: 2,540,651

RE: and Intel stopped

Message 86657 in response to message 86655

Quote:
and Intel stopped making the Pentium brand in 2006.

They stopped making pentium-4/pentium-m chips, but the branding lives on for lowend CPUs. "pentium dual core" laptops use a yonah CPU with a very small cache. The desktop e2xxx and e5xxx(?) chips are core2d's with very small caches and also branded as "pentium dual core".

Bernd Machenschalk
Bernd Machenschalk
Moderator
Administrator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 4,027
Credit: 215,292,817
RAC: 63,987

This App is obsoleted by the

This App is obsoleted by the new 6.06 App.

BM

BM

Bernd Machenschalk
Bernd Machenschalk
Moderator
Administrator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 4,027
Credit: 215,292,817
RAC: 63,987

Could the people that

Could the people that reported problems with renaming the checkpoints in this 6.05 App please test 6.07 Beta and report there if this App fixed their problem (if not running Win98/ME of course)?

Best,
Bernd

BM

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.