Why hide

Dominique
Dominique
Joined: 19 Feb 05
Posts: 66
Credit: 16,797
RAC: 0
Topic 188963

Just for curiosity's sake...

What's with this Obsessive Compulsive Paranoia about hiding one's computer?

Just wondering,
Dominique


*I still know CRAP when I see it.

eberndl
eberndl
Joined: 18 Jan 05
Posts: 43
Credit: 98,691
RAC: 0

Why hide

I've only ever hidden 1 computer (On CPDN) because it was a work computer and the computer's name included the company name... other people don't realise that hiding computers can be frustrating to others trying to help solve problems...

adrianxw
adrianxw
Joined: 21 Feb 05
Posts: 206
Credit: 209,569,650
RAC: 161,178

Hey, Ziggy and Dominique have

Hey, Ziggy and Dominique have an unknown AMD processor!

Don't know, perhaps people think that others can see as much info as they can when they look at their computers? Don't know really.

I'll show you mine...

Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

Dominique
Dominique
Joined: 19 Feb 05
Posts: 66
Credit: 16,797
RAC: 0

So... Who changed the

So...

Who changed the thread title? Originally it was "Why hide COMPUTERS ?"

Just curious again,
Dominique

PS: The "unknown" CPU is an XP 2400+ Mobile running in a standard desktop machine. Both the Mobile and Desktop CPU's use the same Socket A/462 configuration.


*I still know CRAP when I see it.

Thierry Van Driessche
Thierry Van Dri...
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 210
Credit: 229,929
RAC: 0

> I've only ever hidden 1

Message 10508 in response to message 10505

> I've only ever hidden 1 computer (On CPDN) because it was a work computer and
> the computer's name included the company name... other people don't realise
> that hiding computers can be frustrating to others trying to help solve
> problems...

This is what I can see from your host:

Owner eberndl
Created 20 Jan 2005 21:37:15 UTC
Total Credit 792.91
Recent average credit 9.91
CPU type GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Mobile CPU 1.60GHz
Number of CPUs 1
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 1, (05.01.2600.00)
Memory 511.43 MB
Cache 976.56 KB
Measured floating point speed 589.99 million ops/sec
Measured integer speed 1167.11 million ops/sec
Average upload rate 8.2 KB/sec
Average download rate 292.79 KB/sec
Average turnaround time 5.97 days
Results 2

As you can see the name of the host is not mentionned as well as the name of the company.

Greetings from Belgium
Thierry

Divide Overflow
Divide Overflow
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 91
Credit: 183,220
RAC: 0

> What's with this Obsessive

> What's with this Obsessive Compulsive Paranoia about hiding one's computer?

Dominique, people aren't being obsessive, compulsive, or paranoid when they have their computers hidden. Don't forget that the default is to have your computers hidden, so most people are probably:
1) just plain lazy
2) ignorant about how to change them to be visible
3) ignorant about any benefits to making them public in the first place
4) are uncertain how much information they are giving away when they make their computers publicly visible and take a "better safe than sorry" approach.

It would be nice if there were a section added to the computer summary page in your account that shows computer information as seen to the public.

Digger
Digger
Joined: 24 Mar 05
Posts: 84
Credit: 27,421
RAC: 0

> Dominique, people aren't

Message 10510 in response to message 10509

> Dominique, people aren't being obsessive, compulsive, or paranoid when they
> have their computers hidden. Don't forget that the default is to have your
> computers hidden, so most people are probably:
> 1) just plain lazy
> 2) ignorant about how to change them to be visible
> 3) ignorant about any benefits to making them public in the first place
> 4) are uncertain how much information they are giving away when they make
> their computers publicly visible and take a "better safe than sorry"
> approach.
>

Well, i'm not sure we need to refer to these folks as 'ignorant' or 'lazy' or 'paranoid'. LoL. When i first switched to BOINC i assumed that if i made my computer public that everyone would see the same info as i did, including my IP address. It wasn't until i started using the forums that i realized what info was actually displayed. I later commented to one user that if he made his computers public we would not be able to see his personal info. When i came back to the thread several hours later i noticed that his machines were no longer hidden. So i do think it's just misunderstanding.

Perhaps just a little text next to that setting would help... something simple like 'IP Address and Host Name will remain hidden' would take care of the problem i think.

Happy Crunching :)

Dig

Ananas
Ananas
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 272
Credit: 2,500,681
RAC: 0

> I've only ever hidden 1

Message 10511 in response to message 10505

> I've only ever hidden 1 computer (On CPDN) because it was a work computer and
> the computer's name included the company name...
> ...

Same reason for me on one S@H account ;-)

Maybe there should be an option to hide just the names.

Thierry Van Driessche
Thierry Van Dri...
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 210
Credit: 229,929
RAC: 0

@Ananas Only you can see

@Ananas

Only you can see the name of your host.

This is what I can see from your host 79989

Owner Ananas
Created 16 Mar 2005 9:30:24 UTC
Total Credit 14,331.29
Recent average credit 229.05
CPU type AuthenticAMD
AMD Athlon(tm) MP 2600+
Number of CPUs 2
Operating System Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional Edition, Service Pack 4, (05.00.2195.00)
Memory 1534.98 MB
Cache 976.56 KB
Measured floating point speed 2000 million ops/sec
Measured integer speed 1470.15 million ops/sec
Average upload rate 43.74 KB/sec
Average download rate 155.23 KB/sec
Average turnaround time 1.29 days
Results 35

Therefore, if somebody is speaking about host with name xyz, we can't even see what host it is if that user has different hosts. Try on my host.

Greetings from Belgium
Thierry

Dominique
Dominique
Joined: 19 Feb 05
Posts: 66
Credit: 16,797
RAC: 0

> > I've only ever hidden 1

Message 10513 in response to message 10511

> > I've only ever hidden 1 computer (On CPDN) because it was a work computer
> and
> > the computer's name included the company name...
> > ...
>
>
> Same reason for me on one S@H account ;-)
>
> Maybe there should be an option to hide just the names.
>

The names are hidden from everyone but you. Nobody else can see the names.

Just a dumb broad,
Dominique


*I still know CRAP when I see it.

Ananas
Ananas
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 272
Credit: 2,500,681
RAC: 0

> ... > The names are hidden

Message 10514 in response to message 10513

> ...
> The names are hidden from everyone but you. Nobody else can see the
> names.
>
> Just a dumb broad,
> Dominique

Oops, thanks, I wasn't aware of that (although I must have seen it 100 times).

I just saw my company domain name in my own list and - um - it shocked me a bit *g

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.