Universal Binaries for Intel-Based Macs?

cfranz
cfranz
Joined: 10 Dec 05
Posts: 2
Credit: 2,639,471
RAC: 0
Topic 190912

I've just added a nice little Mac mini to my TV. It has a core duo processor that clocks in abysmal performance because it runs in PPC emulation mode.

Is there an Universal version of Einstein/BOINC that I can get to I can be of better assistance to this project?

-ch

Michael Karlinsky
Michael Karlinsky
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 888
Credit: 22,245,334
RAC: 0

Universal Binaries for Intel-Based Macs?

I found this.

Michael

Wurgl (speak^Wcrunching for Special: Off-Topic)
Wurgl (speak^Wc...
Joined: 11 Feb 05
Posts: 321
Credit: 140,550,008
RAC: 0

RE: Is there an Universal

Quote:

Is there an Universal version of Einstein/BOINC that I can get to I can be of better assistance to this project?

Since a few days there is an Intel-Mac binary available.
http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/apps.php

Michael Karlinsky
Michael Karlinsky
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 888
Credit: 22,245,334
RAC: 0

RE: Since a few days there

Message 25944 in response to message 25943

Quote:

Since a few days there is an Intel-Mac binary available.
http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/apps.php

Is it using Rosetta, or running native?

Michael

Elphidieus
Elphidieus
Joined: 20 Feb 05
Posts: 223
Credit: 12,534,180
RAC: 2,886

version 4.46 made for Intel

version 4.46 made for Intel Mac....

but that's only the core client.... so i have to assume that BOINC client is yet to be native....?

will the non-native BOINC client affect the performance.....?

can't wait for the results vs the PowerPC platform...

Michael Karlinsky
Michael Karlinsky
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 888
Credit: 22,245,334
RAC: 0

RE: version 4.46 made for

Message 25946 in response to message 25945

Quote:

version 4.46 made for Intel Mac....

but that's only the core client.... so i have to assume that BOINC client is yet to be native....?

will the non-native BOINC client affect the performance.....?

BOINC client and manager come in "universal binary format", meaning *native* on both x86 and PPC. (Read this.)
It's just one big executable.

Reading the info given on the BOINC website, I suppose the E@H science application (for x86 MAC) runs native, because it has a separate app entry. (D'oh. this answers my own question...)

Michael

Elphidieus
Elphidieus
Joined: 20 Feb 05
Posts: 223
Credit: 12,534,180
RAC: 2,886

RE: BOINC client and

Message 25947 in response to message 25946

Quote:

BOINC client and manager come in "universal binary format", meaning *native* on both x86 and PPC. (Read this.)
It's just one big executable.

Reading the info given on the BOINC website, I suppose the E@H science application (for x86 MAC) runs native, because it has a separate app entry. (D'oh. this answers my own question...)

Michael

oops.... sorry, my mistake.... thanx for the info.....

all i have to do now is wait for the crunching numbers....

cfranz
cfranz
Joined: 10 Dec 05
Posts: 2
Credit: 2,639,471
RAC: 0

Sorry, I'm just a little

Sorry, I'm just a little confused user. I can't make heads nor tails out of the description.

First of all, the 'Boinc on Mac/Intel' page reads: "Starting with version 5.4, the BOINC client software (manager, core client, and boinc_cmd) will be in universal binary format.". I can only download 5.2.x versions from the BOINC pages. What am I missing?

It goes on to say: "To create the Mac/Intel database entry, add the following to your project.xml file" -- now, where would I find that file? A quick search of my hard disk turned up no such file. And where do I find 'xadd'? And what is it for? I really feel stupid, but those instructions really did not help me at all. Can some kind soul here enlighten me?

-ch

Michael Karlinsky
Michael Karlinsky
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 888
Credit: 22,245,334
RAC: 0

RE: Sorry, I'm just a

Message 25949 in response to message 25948

Quote:

Sorry, I'm just a little confused user. I can't make heads nor tails out of the description.

First of all, the 'Boinc on Mac/Intel' page reads: "Starting with version 5.4, the BOINC client software (manager, core client, and boinc_cmd) will be in universal binary format.". I can only download 5.2.x versions from the BOINC pages. What am I missing?

You are right. It's still beta. If you want to take the risk:

BOINC beta downloads

Current version is 5.3.27.

Quote:

To support Intel-based Macs, the Mac BOINC Manager package, stand-alone BOINC client and command-line tool boinc_cmd are now universal binaries, which contain executables for both Intel and PowerPC macs in the same files. This is indicated by the new download package names: boinc_5.3.21_macOSX_universal.zip and boinc_5.3.21_universal-apple-darwin.zip.

Quote:


It goes on to say: "To create the Mac/Intel database entry, add the following to your project.xml file" -- now, where would I find that file? A quick search of my hard disk turned up no such file. And where do I find 'xadd'? And what is it for? I really feel stupid, but those instructions really did not help me at all. Can some kind soul here enlighten me?

-ch

That's for BOINC project administrators. Nothing to do for you...

Michael

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.