Ubuntu 22.04 upgrade broke boinc?

cecht
cecht
Joined: 7 Mar 18
Posts: 1,193
Credit: 1,742,142,386
RAC: 716,924
Topic 228072

On a Linux host I just upgraded from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04.1 (Jammy) then used apt-get to install boinc-client and boinc-manager 7.18.1 with no problems. But when I restart the host, the client nor manager load, and from the command line, boincmgr (or boinccmd) throws the signal error "Illegal instruction (core dumped)".

Does anyone have any insight for how to fix this?

Ideas are not fixed, nor should they be; we live in model-dependent reality.

Keith Myers
Keith Myers
Joined: 11 Feb 11
Posts: 3,070
Credit: 9,543,736,959
RAC: 24,323,587

I would first check the

I would first check the dependencies on boincmgr.  Ubuntu 22.04.1 deprecated the OpenSSL1.1 and crypto1.1 branches in favor of OpenSSL3.0  I had to grab the old libopenssl1.1.1f package to satisfy my Boinc Manager.

But I would think you shouldn't have a problem from a new 22.04.1 installation if the package manager's did their job correctly.

You can always check for yourself with ldd.

cd /var/lib/boinc or /var/lib/boinc-client (I am not sure exactly where the distro install BOINC these days)

sudo ldd ./boincmgr

and check for any >> 'not found' messages.

 

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 2,381
Credit: 19,295,557,474
RAC: 37,498,149

You might need to install

You might need to install BOINC from the other available PPA (gianfranco something). I’ve heard that the official repo might have the Android build loaded and that won’t run on x86. Not sure the exact nature of the issue with the repo version since I don’t run it. But maybe someone else can clarify the more specific details. 

_________________________________________________________________________

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 9,444
Credit: 1,306,810,994
RAC: 888,264

cecht wrote: On a Linux host

cecht wrote:

On a Linux host I just upgraded from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04.1 (Jammy) then used apt-get to install boinc-client and boinc-manager 7.18.1 with no problems. But when I restart the host, the client nor manager load, and from the command line, boincmgr (or boinccmd) throws the signal error "Illegal instruction (core dumped)".

Does anyone have any insight for how to fix this? 

I had the exact same problem when trying Linux Mint 21! I used the built-in software loader on 2 different pc's and neither one worked so I went back to LM ver 20 and it works just fine. The Linux Mint Forums had at least one person having the same problem.

Keith Myers
Keith Myers
Joined: 11 Feb 11
Posts: 3,070
Credit: 9,543,736,959
RAC: 24,323,587

Gianfranco's PPA is

mountkidd
mountkidd
Joined: 14 Jun 12
Posts: 140
Credit: 6,768,768,709
RAC: 6,497,451

Distro Boinc binaries are

Distro Boinc binaries are installed in /usr/bin.  I’ve had problems with Gianfrancos recent packages - 7.18 wouldn’t work with Ub 20.04 and 7.20 wouldn’t work with Ub 22.04. In both cases reverting to his 7.16 package was successful. 

JohnDK
JohnDK
Joined: 25 Jun 10
Posts: 65
Credit: 812,580,181
RAC: 3,247,473

Also had problem with BOINC

Also had problem with BOINC and openssl1.1 when upgrading Mint 20.3 to Mint 21.

After some tryouts getting openssl1.1 installed, I solved it by installing the lib from this tread:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=2213626&sid=f372a5bd01915d095e63688549affc48#p2213626

cecht
cecht
Joined: 7 Mar 18
Posts: 1,193
Credit: 1,742,142,386
RAC: 716,924

Keith Myers

Keith Myers wrote:

Gianfranco's PPA is here:

https://launchpad.net/~costamagnagianfranco/+archive/ubuntu/boinc

Yes! Thank you. That worked once I manually re-started and enabled the boinc-client daemon and launched boincmgr from the Terminal.

The problem now is that all my FGRBPG1 tasks have a computation error with my RX 5600XT. I'm guessing it's something to do with the AMD drivers. I "successfully" installed OpenCL with amdgpu version 22.20.50200-1438747~22.04 using the command: amdgpu-install --usecase=opencl --no-dkms

But it didn't work for crunching.  I guess that's because I have had no luck installing the amd rocm drivers (amdgpu-install --usecase=rocm) because of missing dependencies issues. That's what I get for upgrading a working system.

Ideas are not fixed, nor should they be; we live in model-dependent reality.

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 2,381
Credit: 19,295,560,939
RAC: 37,497,835

I’m not familiar with the

I’m not familiar with the “usecase” argument. I always thought the correct install argument was --opencl=rocr (Or opencl=legacy for pre-Vega cards) 

_________________________________________________________________________

cecht
cecht
Joined: 7 Mar 18
Posts: 1,193
Credit: 1,742,142,386
RAC: 716,924

Ian&Steve C. wrote: I’m not

Ian&Steve C. wrote:

I’m not familiar with the “usecase” argument. I always thought the correct install argument was --opencl=rocr (Or opencl=legacy for pre-Vega cards) 

I tried that early on, but since have implemented some patches for broken dependencies, so I uninstalled and installed using --opencl=rocr (with and without dkms).  Same result. The installation runs fine, but still results in immediate computation errors in Boinc Manager.  :(

Ideas are not fixed, nor should they be; we live in model-dependent reality.

Keith Myers
Keith Myers
Joined: 11 Feb 11
Posts: 3,070
Credit: 9,543,736,959
RAC: 24,323,587

cecht wrote: Ian&Steve C.

cecht wrote:

Ian&Steve C. wrote:

I’m not familiar with the “usecase” argument. I always thought the correct install argument was --opencl=rocr (Or opencl=legacy for pre-Vega cards) 

I tried that early on, but since have implemented some patches for broken dependencies, so I uninstalled and installed using --opencl=rocr (with and without dkms).  Same result. The installation runs fine, but still results in immediate computation errors in Boinc Manager.  :(

You can install for mixed case also --opencl=rocr,legacy

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.