Two WUs Expiring 03/02

krmurphy
krmurphy
Joined: 20 Feb 05
Posts: 5
Credit: 187,214
RAC: 0
Topic 188188

I have two WUs that have not started yet, and have a deadline of 03/02. (I am in the middle of adjusting my downloads, I run all 4 projects - that's how I got them).
Anyway - should I let them run or should I try to remove them? And how would I go about that?
I noticed that I uploaded one on 02/27, which was the deadline day, but it appears as Over - no reply. (Because I was later than 5 AM GMT).
I'd prefer not to waste two days of processing time running those WUs if they're going to be ignored.
Thanks!!

Gary Roberts
Gary Roberts
Moderator
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 4,888
Credit: 29,407,057,358
RAC: 35,123,225

Two WUs Expiring 03/02

> I have two WUs that have not started yet, and have a deadline of 03/02. (I am
> in the middle of adjusting my downloads, I run all 4 projects - that's how I
> got them).
> Anyway - should I let them run or should I try to remove them? And how would I
> go about that?

I don't think you can remove them without wrecking things. If neither has started you are probably not going to get any joy from those two. If you "drill down" in the results list using the workunit ID link you can find out who else is doing those two and make an assessment whether or not there will be three valid results at expiry time. If there are, you will get no credit. If you can somehow beat #3 even if the time has expired, you will get credit. I've actually looked at those two and I don't think you have much chance, sorry.

> I noticed that I uploaded one on 02/27, which was the deadline day, but it
> appears as Over - no reply. (Because I was later than 5 AM GMT).

Once again you can see exactly the reason for this. There were already 3 valid results and you came in #4 after the deadline so no credit.

> I'd prefer not to waste two days of processing time running those WUs if
> they're going to be ignored.
> Thanks!!

Obviously true. Sorry, but I don't know how to abort those two. Maybe someone else has a clue. Meantime don't let it happen to you again by setting your "connect to network" interval to about 1 day max and thereby not having a bunch of WUs getting stale before they start.

Cheers,
Gary.

krmurphy
krmurphy
Joined: 20 Feb 05
Posts: 5
Credit: 187,214
RAC: 0

> > > I'd prefer not to

Message 6603 in response to message 6602

>
> > I'd prefer not to waste two days of processing time running those WUs if
> > they're going to be ignored.
> > Thanks!!
>
> Obviously true. Sorry, but I don't know how to abort those two. Maybe
> someone else has a clue. Meantime don't let it happen to you again by setting
> your "connect to network" interval to about 1 day max and thereby not having a
> bunch of WUs getting stale before they start.
>

Gary,

Yep, thanks for the reply. I didn't really realize (until you pointed it out) that it was the 4th result in, that makes sense now anyway.

On the interval - Yes, that's what I was adjusting when I got too many E@H units. I was changing the default for SETI, since it kept going offline, and ended up downloading a bunch for all the projects, except of course, CPDN. All of the others are well within the timeframe, it's just these two for E@H taht will be out of range because of the short deadlines.

But that's OK, and I'm reset back to .1 day now, since both my machines are running 24/7, so I'll just have to eat this time, knowing it's wasted .... unless someone else jumps in with a way to remove them!!

Thanks again

Kevin

Ageless
Joined: 26 Jan 05
Posts: 2,949
Credit: 5,374,792
RAC: 0

> Obviously true. Sorry, but

Message 6604 in response to message 6602

> Obviously true. Sorry, but I don't know how to abort those two. Maybe
> someone else has a clue.

You can manually abort work units in BOINC CC4.24, but since this is alpha/beta software with its own quirks, use it at your own risk.

The other 'dirty' way is to exit BOINC, go to its folder, find the two workunits you are talking about and delete them. Then start up BOINC, it'll give an error message on those two units, either immediately, or when it wants to go crunch them. But it should work.

Gary Roberts
Gary Roberts
Moderator
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 4,888
Credit: 29,407,057,358
RAC: 35,123,225

> The other 'dirty' way is to

Message 6605 in response to message 6604

> The other 'dirty' way is to exit BOINC, go to its folder, find the two
> workunits you are talking about and delete them. Then start up BOINC, it'll
> give an error message on those two units, either immediately, or when it wants
> to go crunch them. But it should work.

OK, I'll bite. I just had a good look through all the stuff in the Boinc folder (and its subfolders) and it's not immediately obvious as to what exactly to delete. Mind you it's Kevin who has the problem, not me, so I don't want to delete anything but I thought it would be good to know anyway. Can you be a bit more specific about what to delete, thanks?

Cheers,
Gary.

Ageless
Joined: 26 Jan 05
Posts: 2,949
Credit: 5,374,792
RAC: 0

One of the numbered

One of the numbered directories in the Slots directory in the BOINC directory. Just open up the numbered slots one by one, until you find one which has the einstein executable in it. That's the slot you want to delete.

Although this goes for the running work unit.

If they haven't run yet, check the Projects/Einstein directory. Don't delete the HI_0497.9 file!, or you have to redownload 11MB (and could've just as well done a project reset ;)).

Gary Roberts
Gary Roberts
Moderator
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 4,888
Credit: 29,407,057,358
RAC: 35,123,225

> Can you be a bit more

Message 6607 in response to message 6605

> Can you be a bit more specific about what to delete, thanks?

Nevermind, I've just seen the answer in another thread where BM says to delete the slots folder to get rid of all "In progress" work. Maybe you could identify individual bits in there if you didn't want to delete all units of work, although it doesn't look very promising.

Cheers,
Gary.

krmurphy
krmurphy
Joined: 20 Feb 05
Posts: 5
Credit: 187,214
RAC: 0

> > The other 'dirty' way is

Message 6608 in response to message 6604

>
> The other 'dirty' way is to exit BOINC, go to its folder, find the two
> workunits you are talking about and delete them. Then start up BOINC, it'll
> give an error message on those two units, either immediately, or when it wants
> to go crunch them. But it should work.
>

I tried this, it errored out properly as you said, but BOINC just downlaoded the same unit with the same deadline, today.

Append - actually, I just did the same process a second time, and now it gave me the same WU, but with a date of 03/09. This one should actually fall well within the deadline, too, I only see two others out there sent to other users. (425246)

Thank you everyone for your help on this!

Kevin

krmurphy
krmurphy
Joined: 20 Feb 05
Posts: 5
Credit: 187,214
RAC: 0

> > > > The other 'dirty'

Message 6609 in response to message 6608

> >
> > The other 'dirty' way is to exit BOINC, go to its folder, find the two
> > workunits you are talking about and delete them. Then start up BOINC,
> it'll
> > give an error message on those two units, either immediately, or when it
> wants
> > to go crunch them. But it should work.
> >
>
> I tried this, it errored out properly as you said, but BOINC just downlaoded
> the same unit with the same deadline, today.
>
> Append - actually, I just did the same process a second time, and now it gave
> me the same WU, but with a date of 03/09. This one should actually fall well
> within the deadline, too, I only see two others out there sent to other users.
> (425246)
>
> Thank you everyone for your help on this!
>
> Kevin
>

And I saw the other posts as I was posting this - I did not remove any entries from the SLOTS directories, but for some reason, the second download (yes, it was 11Mb) reset everything.

Kevin

Gary Roberts
Gary Roberts
Moderator
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 4,888
Credit: 29,407,057,358
RAC: 35,123,225

> One of the numbered

Message 6610 in response to message 6606

> One of the numbered directories in the Slots directory in the BOINC directory.
> Just open up the numbered slots one by one, until you find one which has the
> einstein executable in it. That's the slot you want to delete.
>
> Although this goes for the running work unit.
>
> If they haven't run yet, check the Projects/Einstein directory. Don't
> delete the HI_0497.9 file!
, or you have to redownload 11MB (and could've
> just as well done a project reset ;)).

Ahhh... now it's all very clear. I had a folder numbered 0 which had the executable you mention in it so just deleting that folder gets rid of the currently executing work unit. I hope kmurphy is paying attention :).

Many thanks.

Cheers,
Gary.

krmurphy
krmurphy
Joined: 20 Feb 05
Posts: 5
Credit: 187,214
RAC: 0

> I hope kmurphy is paying

Message 6611 in response to message 6610

> I hope kmurphy is paying attention :).
>
> Many thanks.
>

I was paying attention....but a little too late!!

Yep, I see where the active WUs are now. (And I now remember this from a SETI thread a long time ago).

So, I guess I basically forced a project reset on my machine by erasing the main WU twice.....somehow.

Anyway, it's crunching, it looks OK. We'll see what happens when it reports!

Kevin

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.