Stardust

Mike Hewson
Mike Hewson
Moderator
Joined: 1 Dec 05
Posts: 6,024
Credit: 104,177,082
RAC: 85,740
Topic 190639

I've just read in Science that a new project is beginning shortly called "Stardust@Home" at this site. I'm not sure how many know of it, having found only one brief reference to it searching here. It is going to use your eyes and brain to examine downloaded images ( using their 'virtual' microscope ) to locate tracks of dust in the aerogel used by the Stardust spacecraft that has just dropped off it's capsule back at Earth last week. Sounds cool. I've signed up.

I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal

Michael Karlinsky
Michael Karlinsky
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 888
Credit: 22,245,334
RAC: 0

Stardust

Quote:
I've just read in Science that a new project is beginning shortly called "Stardust@Home" at this site. I'm not sure how many know of it, having found only one brief reference to it searching here. It is going to use your eyes and brain to examine downloaded images ( using their 'virtual' microscope ) to locate tracks of dust in the aerogel used by the Stardust spacecraft that has just dropped off it's capsule back at Earth last week. Sounds cool. I've signed up.

This sounds fun. Did someone already take the test they are speaking off?
Will I need broadband or will ISDN be sufficient?

Michael

Mike Hewson
Mike Hewson
Moderator
Joined: 1 Dec 05
Posts: 6,024
Credit: 104,177,082
RAC: 85,740

RE: This sounds fun. It

Message 24237 in response to message 24236

Quote:
This sounds fun.


It does, doesn't it?

Quote:
Did someone already take the test they are speaking off?


As far as I can tell it's 'pre-registration' at present, they take your email, and get back to you later. Scanning is mid-Feb, with March kicking off the search.

Quote:
Will I need broadband or will ISDN be sufficient?

Dunno...

Cheers, Mike.

I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal

Michael Karlinsky
Michael Karlinsky
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 888
Credit: 22,245,334
RAC: 0

OK, just pre-registered.

OK, just pre-registered. Let's see what happens.

Michael

Edo
Edo
Joined: 11 Feb 05
Posts: 96
Credit: 1,516,302
RAC: 0

This is very interesting

This is very interesting project. I pre-registered some 10 days ago. Still no tests. I like especially following part...

"In recognition of the critical importance of the Stardust@home volunteers, the discoverer of an interstellar dust particle will appear as a co-author on any scientific paper by the Stardust@home collaboration announcing the discovery of the particle."

That will be cool, to discover stardust and become a co-author of scientific paper(s) about that discovery. If I find it, I guess I'll be the first researcher in the field of Economics with the published research paper in the field of Astronomy. :-)

gravywavy
gravywavy
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 392
Credit: 68,962
RAC: 0

RE: This is very

Message 24240 in response to message 24239

Quote:

This is very interesting project. I pre-registered some 10 days ago. Still no tests. I like especially following part...

"In recognition of the critical importance of the Stardust@home volunteers, the discoverer of an interstellar dust particle will appear as a co-author on any scientific paper by the Stardust@home collaboration announcing the discovery of the particle."

That will be cool, to discover stardust and become a co-author of scientific paper(s) about that discovery. If I find it, I guess I'll be the first researcher in the field of Economics with the published research paper in the field of Astronomy. :-)

It will look cool on your CV

~~gravywavy

Michael Karlinsky
Michael Karlinsky
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 888
Credit: 22,245,334
RAC: 0

The FAQ is now

The FAQ is now online!

Michael

Mike Hewson
Mike Hewson
Moderator
Joined: 1 Dec 05
Posts: 6,024
Credit: 104,177,082
RAC: 85,740

There has been a delay with

There has been a delay with Stardust@Home, explained here. I guess they have to get it right!

I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal

Michael Karlinsky
Michael Karlinsky
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 888
Credit: 22,245,334
RAC: 0

Further delay

Further delay :(

Quote:


News
March 30, 2006

The anticipated launch date of the Stardust@Home project has been delayed until approximately May 1st, 2006. This is due to security issues delaying the scanning of the Stardust Interstellar Dust Collector at Johnson Space Center in Houston. We apologize that the data will not be available until then but we very much appreciate your continued interest. Look to this space for future updates.

Mike Hewson
Mike Hewson
Moderator
Joined: 1 Dec 05
Posts: 6,024
Credit: 104,177,082
RAC: 85,740

From this

From this site:

Quote:

April 25, 2006

Scanning of the Stardust interstellar dust collector has finally begun at the NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX! We now have several steps to complete before we roll-out the project to the public. We will be performing a load test of our servers April 28-29. We need to begin uploading data from Houston and checking for focus problems. We'll be using the data from Houston to make calibration movies and examples for the training tutorial. Our target date for the roll-out of the project is May 17.

We thank you for your patience and do not foresee any further delays in the project.

Not long now!!!

Cheers, Mike.

I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal

Mike Hewson
Mike Hewson
Moderator
Joined: 1 Dec 05
Posts: 6,024
Credit: 104,177,082
RAC: 85,740

Don't forget tomorrow is

Don't forget tomorrow is Stardust Day! :-)
Cheers, Mike.

I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.