S5GCE, was: Beyond S5R6

Bikeman (Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein)
Bikeman (Heinz-...
Moderator
Joined: 28 Aug 06
Posts: 3,516
Credit: 461,443,976
RAC: 47,679

RE: I would love to see a

Message 96853 in response to message 96852

Quote:

I would love to see a sky plot (with colors indicating intensity/signal strength) of the results from S5R6. Something pretty to drive home the results of all the crunching. Any project sci? Mods?

Usually a plot like this is included in the formal publication of results, e.g. if you download the offical paper for the S5R5 run, http://arxiv.org/abs/0905.1705, you will find one on page 10.

CU
HBE

DJStarfox
DJStarfox
Joined: 25 Mar 07
Posts: 10
Credit: 1,556,622
RAC: 1,146

RE: RE: I would love to

Message 96854 in response to message 96853

Quote:
Quote:

I would love to see a sky plot (with colors indicating intensity/signal strength) of the results from S5R6. Something pretty to drive home the results of all the crunching. Any project sci? Mods?

Usually a plot like this is included in the formal publication of results, e.g. if you download the officical paper for the S5R5 run, http://arxiv.org/abs/0905.1705, you will find one on page 10.

CU
HBE

Excellent, thanks. Such light reading over the stuff I had to read for grad school. :-P

Ver Greeneyes
Ver Greeneyes
Joined: 26 Mar 09
Posts: 140
Credit: 9,562,235
RAC: 0

RE: (down from 100000 to

Message 96855 in response to message 96842

Quote:
(down from 100000 to 40000 in 4 or 5 days).


A few days later, and we're down to ~23000 :) Glad to see statistics haven't failed us yet XD I was wondering - how much analysis can be done on the S5R6 data before the last WUs come in? Percentage-wise, obviously they already have the vast majority of them.

Jord
Joined: 26 Jan 05
Posts: 2,952
Credit: 5,722,850
RAC: 296

Bernd, how much memory should

Message 96856 in response to message 96838

Bernd, how much memory should S5GCE_3.04 nominally use?
I ask as I see here in Windows XP that it uses an, in my opinion, massive 170,224KB RAM with 168,488KB VM per task. It starts to sound like a CPDN model. ;-)

Donald A. Tevault
Donald A. Tevault
Joined: 17 Feb 06
Posts: 439
Credit: 73,516,529
RAC: 0

RE: Bernd, how much memory

Message 96857 in response to message 96856

Quote:
Bernd, how much memory should S5GCE_3.04 nominally use?
I ask as I see here in Windows XP that it uses an, in my opinion, massive 170,224KB RAM with 168,488KB VM per task. It starts to sound like a CPDN model. ;-)

Well, I can tell you that the Linux version uses more memory than either the Arecibo or R6 apps. I have a dual-processor P-III with 512 Meg of memory, that could do two of either of the old-type workunits at a time. With the new S5GCE app, it can only do one at a time. Oh, two will start up, but one always pauses with a "Waiting for Memory" message.

martin
martin
Joined: 3 Apr 10
Posts: 5
Credit: 4,908,716
RAC: 0

S5GCE allways end with

S5GCE allways end with Compute error on both my machines (tasks 170334428, 170524895, 170556252, 170531847, 170451886, 170439512, 170439508). With similar message in kernel log file:
kernel: grsec: (default:D:/) denied load of writable library /SYSV01022003 by /var/lib/boinc/projects/einstein.phys.uwm.edu/einstein_S5GCE_1.04_i686-pc-linux-gnu__S5GCESSE2[einstein_S5GCE_:26521] uid/euid:114/114 gid/egid:1022/1022, parent /usr/bin/boinc_client[boinc_client:11869] uid/euid:114/114 gid/egid:1022/1022

Arecibo tasks finnishing successfully.

Both machines running on grsec patched linux-2.6.33

It's possible compute only Arecibo tasks during problem with S5GCE will be solved?

martin
martin
Joined: 3 Apr 10
Posts: 5
Credit: 4,908,716
RAC: 0

RE: S5GCE allways end with

Message 96859 in response to message 96858

Quote:

S5GCE allways end with Compute error on both my machines (tasks 170334428, 170524895, 170556252, 170531847, 170451886, 170439512, 170439508). With similar message in kernel log file:
kernel: grsec: (default:D:/) denied load of writable library /SYSV01022003 by /var/lib/boinc/projects/einstein.phys.uwm.edu/einstein_S5GCE_1.04_i686-pc-linux-gnu__S5GCESSE2[einstein_S5GCE_:26521] uid/euid:114/114 gid/egid:1022/1022, parent /usr/bin/boinc_client[boinc_client:11869] uid/euid:114/114 gid/egid:1022/1022

Arecibo tasks finnishing successfully.

Both machines running on grsec patched linux-2.6.33

It's possible compute only Arecibo tasks during problem with S5GCE will be solved?

Both machines are x86_64 architecture

Jord
Joined: 26 Jan 05
Posts: 2,952
Credit: 5,722,850
RAC: 296

RE: Both machines are

Message 96860 in response to message 96859

Quote:
Both machines are x86_64 architecture


Einstein doesn't have 64bit applications, so did you load the (ia) 32bit compatibility libraries for your OS? See http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Installing_BOINC#64_Bit_Considerations for more information.

nooneishere
nooneishere
Joined: 19 Feb 05
Posts: 11
Credit: 138,760
RAC: 0

RE: RE: Both machines are

Message 96861 in response to message 96860

Quote:
Quote:
Both machines are x86_64 architecture

Einstein doesn't have 64bit applications, so did you load the (ia) 32bit compatibility libraries for your OS? See http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Installing_BOINC#64_Bit_Considerations for more information.

Any idea when that's going to be addressed? I'm building a AMD Quad core beast with stats so insane I had to hide the tigerdirect invoice from my wife. Yet its still plugging along in 32 bit mode when it comes to Boinc. Seems like a senseless waste of speed and capacity....

Ok I admit it I'm looking for some justification for buying all this hardware. I live in hope some Cray will have a fatal crash and the sysop will call me in as a backup.

Still the point remains, even my current dual core 64 bit is under performing due to software limitations.

M. Schmitt
M. Schmitt
Joined: 27 Jun 05
Posts: 478
Credit: 15,872,262
RAC: 0

RE: RE: Both machines are

Message 96862 in response to message 96860

Quote:
Quote:
Both machines are x86_64 architecture

Einstein doesn't have 64bit applications, so did you load the (ia) 32bit compatibility libraries for your OS? See http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Installing_BOINC#64_Bit_Considerations for more information.


He is successfully doing Arecibo work. ;-)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.