RTX 2070 vs. GTX 660TI (experience)

Markus Windisch
Markus Windisch
Joined: 23 Aug 21
Posts: 52
Credit: 85,375,702
RAC: 59,688
Topic 226734

Hello guys!

Just wanted to share some "real life" experience. I've sold my RTX2070 (very high prices right now and I don't really need it) and bought an old GTX 660Ti as replacement.

These are the values from geeks3d.com:

  floating point 32 Bit floating point 64 Bit ratio
RTX 2070 7465 233 FP64 = 1/32 FP32
GTX 660Ti 2460 102 FP64 = 1/24 FP32

  crunching time per task (three at once for RTX2070, two for 660ti)
- Gamma-ray pulsar binary search
 
RTX 2070 253 s  
GTX 660Ti 3332 s  

In most benchmarks the 2070 has about 4x the points of the 660Ti (PassMark for example). In Einstein@home it seems to be more than 10x as fast in crunching! Floating point operations don't seem to show that, either.

Does that make sense or am I wrong at some point? I divided the time a task needed by the number of tasks...

Greetings.

Keith Myers
Keith Myers
Joined: 11 Feb 11
Posts: 2,125
Credit: 5,314,829,428
RAC: 19,170,797

No your calculations are

No your calculations are mostly correct.  In fact the 2070 is 20X more productive than the 660 Ti.

In my opinion you did a dumb thing selling the 2070 for such an outdated card.

 

Markus Windisch
Markus Windisch
Joined: 23 Aug 21
Posts: 52
Credit: 85,375,702
RAC: 59,688

Keith Myers schrieb:In my

Thanks so far, I found it interesting that it's 10x+ better in crunching but only 4x better in Games - not sure why that is. Maybe because with different effects the same amount of fps means more crunching?

Keith Myers wrote:

In my opinion you did a dumb thing selling the 2070 for such an outdated card.

I sold it for 2x what I paid in 2021 and I bought it for Flight Simulator play only. If I had unlimited money I'd have kept it ;) When Ethereum enters proof of stake, a lot of people will have to sell their cards and prices will dump again.

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 1,597
Credit: 11,841,589,716
RAC: 26,434,819

Markus Windisch wrote: When

Markus Windisch wrote:

When Ethereum enters proof of stake, a lot of people will have to sell their cards and prices will dump again.


 

people have been saying this for like 5 years now lol. 

_________________________________________________________________________

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 8,428
Credit: 642,316,340
RAC: 149,668

Ian&Steve C. wrote: Markus

Ian&Steve C. wrote:

Markus Windisch wrote:

When Ethereum enters proof of stake, a lot of people will have to sell their cards and prices will dump again.


 

people have been saying this for like 5 years now lol.  

Same thing with Bitcoin and yet it just keeps going up year over year.

Markus Windisch
Markus Windisch
Joined: 23 Aug 21
Posts: 52
Credit: 85,375,702
RAC: 59,688

Ian&Steve C. schrieb:people

Ian&Steve C. wrote:

people have been saying this for like 5 years now lol. 

I think this year they will finally do it ;) Anyway, the chip shortage won't stay forever.

mikey wrote:

Same thing with Bitcoin and yet it just keeps going up year over year.

Bitcoin has nothing to do with Proof of stake and graphics cards :P

Mike Hewson
Mike Hewson
Moderator
Joined: 1 Dec 05
Posts: 6,281
Credit: 150,099,404
RAC: 125,623

FWIW IMHO : Tulips are

FWIW IMHO : Tulips are merely pretty flowers, sell spades in a gold rush, and the cryptocurrencies will gang aft agley eventually. :-)

Cheers, Mike.

I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal

Markus Windisch
Markus Windisch
Joined: 23 Aug 21
Posts: 52
Credit: 85,375,702
RAC: 59,688

Mike Hewson schrieb: FWIW

Mike Hewson wrote:

FWIW IMHO : Tulips are merely pretty flowers, sell spades in a gold rush, and the cryptocurrencies will gang aft agley eventually. :-)

Cheers, Mike.

I'm not able to read your comment properly but I think you compared crypto to tulips. This is what people do for 10 years now and still there's no tulip crash but we'll see. Tbh it's too risky for me

 

 

 

 

Gary Roberts
Gary Roberts
Moderator
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 5,541
Credit: 76,522,592,839
RAC: 64,901,705

He compared crypto to tulips

He compared crypto to tulips for a good reason.  The Dutch tulip bulb market bubble, also known as 'tulipmania' was one of the most famous market bubbles and crashes of all time.

'Gang aft agley' is Scottish and means 'Often go wrong'. More directly translated: gang = 'to go'; aft = 'oft' (or often); agley = 'askew' ...

Cheers,
Gary.

Mike Hewson
Mike Hewson
Moderator
Joined: 1 Dec 05
Posts: 6,281
Credit: 150,099,404
RAC: 125,623

Thank you Gary, I was a

Thank you Gary, I was a little obtuse there.

[Aside] The amount of money in cryptos is staggering, the market capitalisation of Bitcoin for example is the best part of a trillion dollars. Recently DownUnda we have had a slew of advertisements offering access to the crypto markets for the small investors. This is a key sign that the big players want to take profit and then walk away, but they need some mug punters to sell to. Another indicator is the rising expectation that prior gains imply future gains - classic bubble psychology. It will be all those little nest eggs in the suburbs that will go frying when the crash comes.[/Aside]

Cheers, Mike.

I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal

Markus Windisch
Markus Windisch
Joined: 23 Aug 21
Posts: 52
Credit: 85,375,702
RAC: 59,688

Mike Hewson

Mike Hewson wrote:

Recently DownUnda we have had a slew of advertisements offering access to the crypto markets for the small investors. This is a key sign that the big players want to take profit and then walk away, but they need some mug punters to sell to.

Interesting point. I don't see a conspriacy here, though. Crypto ist just becoming more popular. The more people talk about it the more people put money in the system, the more companies advertise their products.

Mike Hewson wrote:

Another indicator is the rising expectation that prior gains imply future gains - classic bubble psychology. It will be all those little nest eggs in the suburbs that will go frying when the crash comes.

True. But that is also applicable to gold or certain stocks for example. The use case (electronics etc.) doesn't justify it's value. I wouldn't be so sure about a crash in Bitcoin, since people see it as a store of value. Anyway, the risk is far from zero.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.