Replaced BOINC 4.25 with 4.19

Matt3223
Matt3223
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 54
Credit: 448,298
RAC: 0
Topic 188638

Recently upgraded BOINC 4.19 to version 4.25, and all of a sudden began having bigtime computer problems.

at first 4.25 seemed to be doing ok. But then I noticed that I would get some kind of various KERNELL32 error when exiting BOINC 4.25. Everytime.

THen I tried to overlook it for a bit, had 4.25 running, but then started getting KERNELL32 errors while using FireFox.

Tried uninstalling 4.25, and reinstalling, but that did not help.

attempted to post on the BOINC website message board, but I guess you can't unless you have a SETI account number. I don't, so I didn't.

I did read that someone was having trouble with 4.25 and was able to downgrade back to 4.19. The previous version is still available from the LHC@home website.

I unistalled 4.25, reinstalled 4.19, and everything is peachy.

I'm running 4.19 until another version beyond 4.25 comes out.

I want to keep current, but not if it wacks my computer out.

Trane Francks
Trane Francks
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 12
Credit: 117,280
RAC: 0

Replaced BOINC 4.25 with 4.19

> Recently upgraded BOINC 4.19 to version 4.25, and all of a sudden began having
> bigtime computer problems.
>
> at first 4.25 seemed to be doing ok. But then I noticed that I would get some
> kind of various KERNELL32 error when exiting BOINC 4.25. Everytime.

I've seen this same behaviour running the core client on one of the Windows Me boxes here. I'm leaving the rest of my Windows systems on 4.19 until such time as I have no choice but to upgrade.

Ziran
Ziran
Joined: 26 Nov 04
Posts: 194
Credit: 60,800
RAC: 0

Also have problems running

Also have problems running 4.26 under win 98. Opera crashes every time. I am going back to 4.19. Both Einstein and predictor WU’s takes about one hour longer under 4.26.

Then you're really interested in a subject, there is no way to avoid it. You have to read the Manual.

Christopher Pikula
Christopher Pikula
Joined: 20 Feb 05
Posts: 11
Credit: 554,381
RAC: 0

Hi all, I too regret

Hi all,

I too regret upgrading. I'm glad to see it's not just me. For example, I keep getting these messages over and over. I know the SETI site is down, but why the same messages for E@H? Also, when the countdown to connect time runs out, it mysteriously resets to some time hours in the future, without even trying to dial. What's going on? It doesn't seem to like to dial. I can't upload my finished result. I'm on WinXP sp2. Thanks for any help.

03/21/2005 12:27:17 PM||Can't resolve hostname [setiboincdata.ssl.berkeley.edu] (valid name, no data record of requested type)
03/21/2005 12:27:17 PM|SETI@home|Couldn't start download of setiathome_4.09_windows_intelx86.pdb
03/21/2005 12:27:17 PM|SETI@home|URL http://setiboincdata.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah/download_fanout/setiathome_4.09_windows_intelx86.pdb: error -113
03/21/2005 12:27:17 PM|SETI@home|Backing off 2 hours, 54 minutes, and 27 seconds on download of file setiathome_4.09_windows_intelx86.pdb
03/21/2005 12:40:31 PM||Can't resolve hostname [einstein.phys.uwm.edu] (valid name, no data record of requested type)
03/21/2005 12:40:31 PM|Einstein@Home|Couldn't start upload of H1_1186.9__1187.0_0.1_T13_Test02_3_0
03/21/2005 12:40:31 PM|Einstein@Home|URL http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/EinsteinAtHome_cgi/file_upload_handler: error -113
03/21/2005 12:40:31 PM|Einstein@Home|Backing off 1 hours, 52 minutes, and 8 seconds on upload of file H1_1186.9__1187.0_0.1_T13_Test02_3_0

S@NL- Klaas van Dijk
S@NL- Klaas van Dijk
Joined: 25 Feb 05
Posts: 3
Credit: 24,142
RAC: 0

> Hi all, > > I too regret

Message 8925 in response to message 8924

> Hi all,
>
> I too regret upgrading. I'm glad to see it's not just me. For example, I
> keep getting these messages over and over. I know the SETI site is down, but
> why the same messages for E@H? Also, when the countdown to connect time runs
> out, it mysteriously resets to some time hours in the future, without even
> trying to dial. What's going on? It doesn't seem to like to dial. I can't
> upload my finished result. I'm on WinXP sp2. Thanks for any help.
>
> 03/21/2005 12:27:17 PM||Can't resolve hostname
> [setiboincdata.ssl.berkeley.edu] (valid name, no data record of requested
> type)
> 03/21/2005 12:27:17 PM|SETI@home|Couldn't start download of
> setiathome_4.09_windows_intelx86.pdb
> 03/21/2005 12:27:17 PM|SETI@home|URL
> http://setiboincdata.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah/download_fanout/setiathome_4.09_windows_intelx86.pdb:
> error -113
> 03/21/2005 12:27:17 PM|SETI@home|Backing off 2 hours, 54 minutes, and 27
> seconds on download of file setiathome_4.09_windows_intelx86.pdb
> 03/21/2005 12:40:31 PM||Can't resolve hostname [einstein.phys.uwm.edu] (valid
> name, no data record of requested type)
> 03/21/2005 12:40:31 PM|Einstein@Home|Couldn't start upload of
> H1_1186.9__1187.0_0.1_T13_Test02_3_0
> 03/21/2005 12:40:31 PM|Einstein@Home|URL
> http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/EinsteinAtHome_cgi/file_upload_handler: error
> -113
> 03/21/2005 12:40:31 PM|Einstein@Home|Backing off 1 hours, 52 minutes, and 8
> seconds on upload of file H1_1186.9__1187.0_0.1_T13_Test02_3_0
>
> Hallo Chr
> take a look at this UrL

> http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/faq.php#why_don't_I_have_any_credit
> Klaas van Dijk

Christopher Pikula
Christopher Pikula
Joined: 20 Feb 05
Posts: 11
Credit: 554,381
RAC: 0

Just found out what's wrong:

Message 8926 in response to message 8924

Just found out what's wrong: It's not dialing at all!! Going to go check my preferences. I may have to dial up for it. Oh noooooo...never had this problem with 4.19.

UNS
UNS
Joined: 25 Feb 05
Posts: 1
Credit: 276,967
RAC: 0

I too upgraded to 4.25 and

I too upgraded to 4.25 and kept getting multiple client errors. Went back to 4.19 and things seem to be working again.

4.25 has problems. It shouldn't be available yet for general usage.

Matt3223
Matt3223
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 54
Credit: 448,298
RAC: 0

sounds like i'm not the only

sounds like i'm not the only one! Am wondering if these problems are isolated to just the older windows OS......I'm running Me here.....which has caused me problems with most any program I try to run, at least graphical ones.......perhaps XP should only be used for these newer versions?

Darrell
Darrell
Joined: 11 Nov 04
Posts: 32
Credit: 15,397,991
RAC: 0

Runs fine on my windows 98

Runs fine on my windows 98 system. However, with the 4.x series of installers, I recommend not starting the manager at the end of install, but just finishing the install and then check out the boinc directory to make sure that the boinc.dll, boinc_dll.pdb, boinc.exe, boinc_exe.pdb, boincmgr.exe, and boincmgr.pdb files all have the same modified date. Sometimes the installer will not upgrade one of these files and that can cause boinc problems.

edtx
edtx
Joined: 28 Mar 05
Posts: 18
Credit: 67,397
RAC: 0

I am running Windows XP with

I am running Windows XP with service pack two and Boinc version 4.25 gave me fits, then I found out version 4.25 and the new version 4.27 which is shortly to be released all have problems with ATI video cards and both of my pc's are running on ATI video cards. I thought starting out with Boinc, I would go with the latest version, big mistake, I was going nuts for a couple of days. I thought both Pc's were crashing. after reading further on the problems 4.25 and 4.27 have, I un installed 4.25 and installed 4.19 on my xp machine and my windows 2000 machine and now Boinc behaves itself. If you had problems with 4.25, don't upgrade to 4.27 when it comes out as Boinc has already said it has the same problems that 4.25 has!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.