predicting a cat 4 storm by tuesday

robl
robl
Joined: 2 Jan 13
Posts: 1,462
Credit: 900,105,576
RAC: 580,354
Topic 219501

I was hoping to escape this one but it does not look like we will.  Dorian is headed right for Melbourne Florida.  A cat 4's winds and storm surge can be quite serious.  I will be getting out of its way and hanging out in Orlando where the winds by Wed could still be a CAT 1.  Put all the shutters up that I have.  There is nothing more I or others can do.  Will be shutting down computers/power and shutting off the water when I leave.  

 

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 5,111
Credit: 518,661,843
RAC: 103,846

robl wrote:I was hoping to

robl wrote:
I was hoping to escape this one but it does not look like we will.  Dorian is headed right for Melbourne Florida.  A cat 4's winds and storm surge can be quite serious.  I will be getting out of its way and hanging out in Orlando where the winds by Wed could still be a CAT 1.  Put all the shutters up that I have.  There is nothing more I or others can do.  Will be shutting down computers/power and shutting off the water when I leave.   

Sounds like a good plan!!! Stay safe and when it's over get back and start crunching again, no need to keep things going and staying home with a storm of that intensity coming your way!! We need you long term, short term we will all muddle thru without you!!

Gary Charpentier
Gary Charpentier
Joined: 13 Jun 06
Posts: 1,039
Credit: 37,808,511
RAC: 7,813

robl wrote:I was hoping to

robl wrote:

I was hoping to escape this one but it does not look like we will.  Dorian is headed right for Melbourne Florida.  A cat 4's winds and storm surge can be quite serious.  I will be getting out of its way and hanging out in Orlando where the winds by Wed could still be a CAT 1.  Put all the shutters up that I have.  There is nothing more I or others can do.  Will be shutting down computers/power and shutting off the water when I leave.  

 

Safety first.  Everything else is secondary.

robl
robl
Joined: 2 Jan 13
Posts: 1,462
Credit: 900,105,576
RAC: 580,354

You are right.  I don't

You are right.  I don't recommend that anyone ride out one of these especially near the ocean.  More people are killed by drowning.  It is just a bad idea to stay.  

robl
robl
Joined: 2 Jan 13
Posts: 1,462
Credit: 900,105,576
RAC: 580,354

because of the difficulty in

because of the difficulty in predicting Dorian I cancelled my hotel reservation.   I was scheduled to check out of my orlando hotel on tuesday and return home.  unfortunately tuesday and wednesday were to be really bad.  now however the storm  track is moving further east (away from Florida) so I cancelled the hotel and will stay home.  The storm now however is approaching a CAT 5 (current winds at 150).  I can only hope it stays off the coast and that the winds drop.  I would not want to ride out a CAT 4/5 storm this close to the Atlantic.

Mikey it is heading your way so stay safe.

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 5,111
Credit: 518,661,843
RAC: 103,846

robl wrote:because of the

robl wrote:

because of the difficulty in predicting Dorian I cancelled my hotel reservation.   I was scheduled to check out of my orlando hotel on tuesday and return home.  unfortunately tuesday and wednesday were to be really bad.  now however the storm  track is moving further east (away from Florida) so I cancelled the hotel and will stay home.  The storm now however is approaching a CAT 5 (current winds at 150).  I can only hope it stays off the coast and that the winds drop.  I would not want to ride out a CAT 4/5 storm this close to the Atlantic.

Mikey it is heading your way so stay safe.

I am!! One of the predictions, Ventusky?, shows it coming ashore on top of me, but most show it staying at sea and going up past Wilmington, NC which is 40 miles North of me as a Cat 2 storm. I'm 30 feet above sea level so storm surge isn't an issue and I've ridden out a Cat 2 before so would stay for that. I'm also 1.5 miles inland from the ocean as the crow flies so if it's out to sea as a Cat 2 I'm okay. Last years Hurricane came ashore very near Wilmington, NC and I was just fine, I know each storm is different and we will leave if conditions warrant it.

robl
robl
Joined: 2 Jan 13
Posts: 1,462
Credit: 900,105,576
RAC: 580,354

what a pain.  leaving for the

what a pain.  leaving for the second time.  

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 5,111
Credit: 518,661,843
RAC: 103,846

robl wrote:what a pain. 

robl wrote:
what a pain.  leaving for the second time.  

I hope it's just a short trip and it misses you COMPLETELY!!

robl
robl
Joined: 2 Jan 13
Posts: 1,462
Credit: 900,105,576
RAC: 580,354

just got back from Orlando an

just got back from Orlando an hour ago.  We along the East coast of Florida were extremely lucky.  But this storm was the most stressful storm I have experienced - 8 days of "where is it going".  And there is another off the coast of Africa moving West.  

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 5,111
Credit: 518,661,843
RAC: 103,846

robl wrote:just got back from

robl wrote:
just got back from Orlando an hour ago.  We along the East coast of Florida were extremely lucky.  But this storm was the most stressful storm I have experienced - 8 days of "where is it going".  And there is another off the coast of Africa moving West.  

The outer bands have now started raining on me, they are saying 5 to 15 inches or rain total depending on many factors, we had 9 inches of rain overnight a couple of weeks ago so we will be fine as far as the rain goes. The storm is back up to a category 3 but should still be down to a 2 or even a 1 as it passes by me today and tonight. My house is built to withstand a 3 but I do have some shutters that I couldn't take down that aren't, I may end up replacing them depending on the wind strength.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.