A Pentium 133.

nairb
nairb
Joined: 21 Feb 05
Posts: 22
Credit: 5,870,862
RAC: 2,461
Topic 192413

I was given a p133 by an old man (84) a couple of years ago. He thought I could make use of it with its 16 meg of edo ram. I finally found enough edo ram (128)to give it a try.
So in tribute to the old chap who may not still be around....
It took 910513.63 seconds to do 1 work unit. And its claimed 55.42 credits.

It took a while, but it managed something.

It will be the only w/u it does I suspect.

Nairb

history
history
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 127
Credit: 7,573,923
RAC: 0

A Pentium 133.

Nairb; Bravo! Find another 10,000 of these and you will be crunching with the big boys. I just recently did a rehab on a HP lappy for a friend. This monster was a $2000.00 rig back in 1999. K62+ 550. 5 gig hard drive, 8 meg video AND Ta Da.....(wait for it)...........Widows Mistake Edition! What a thrill watching the little drummer boy loading the drivers. I applaud your experiment, can you push this little beauty to 140?

Regards-tweakster

FalconFly
FalconFly
Joined: 16 Feb 05
Posts: 191
Credit: 15,650,710
RAC: 0

Depending on Chipset (e.g.

Message 60726 in response to message 60725

Depending on Chipset (e.g. intel VX or TX), it may only have 64MB Cachable Area, which would significantly reduce performance. Worst case, it doesn't have L2 Cache ;)

DanNeely
DanNeely
Joined: 4 Sep 05
Posts: 1,358
Credit: 2,810,470,918
RAC: 2,716,501

Before the newest batch of

Before the newest batch of WUs, there was someone crunching with a 486-80 he was using as a router/firewall box. Earned all of 1 credit/day.

nairb
nairb
Joined: 21 Feb 05
Posts: 22
Credit: 5,870,862
RAC: 2,461

After the excitement of

After the excitement of finishing a w/u I checked the cpu out with cpuz.
Its a socket 5, intel, p133 with a massive 8k of L1 data and 8k L1 code.
NO L2 reported at all.
It was granted all of its 55.42 credit which works out at about 5 and a bit credit/day.

Now that its done the 1 and only einstein work unit it will join the other
'old' machines on my shelf.

One day, if it still works, it will be worth lots. Even if it takes 50 years.

Nairb

DanNeely
DanNeely
Joined: 4 Sep 05
Posts: 1,358
Credit: 2,810,470,918
RAC: 2,716,501

THe p1 family used external

THe p1 family used external l2 cache. It would be on a module that looks similar to a normal ram dimm.

Donald A. Tevault
Donald A. Tevault
Joined: 17 Feb 06
Posts: 439
Credit: 73,516,529
RAC: 0

I'm glad I'm not the only one

Message 60730 in response to message 60728

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's experimenting with old gear. I recently built a Cyrix 6x86 machine out of old junk parts that I had. I did one of the small, 12-credit work units on it, and it took over 106 hours. I tried one of the current 55-credit work units, but it didn't have enough time to finish.

Even though it has a faster rated speed than yours (200 Mhz), the old Cyrix architecture wasn't worth a crap when it comes to floating point work. In fact, BOINC benchmarked it as 71.22 million ops/sec for floating point, and 171.41 million ops/sec for integer. Yeah, a real speed demon!

Quote:

After the excitement of finishing a w/u I checked the cpu out with cpuz.
Its a socket 5, intel, p133 with a massive 8k of L1 data and 8k L1 code.
NO L2 reported at all.
It was granted all of its 55.42 credit which works out at about 5 and a bit credit/day.

Now that its done the 1 and only einstein work unit it will join the other
'old' machines on my shelf.

One day, if it still works, it will be worth lots. Even if it takes 50 years.

Nairb


Scott Brown
Scott Brown
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 38
Credit: 215,235
RAC: 0

RE: THe p1 family used

Message 60731 in response to message 60729

Quote:
THe p1 family used external l2 cache. It would be on a module that looks similar to a normal ram dimm.

Some did use the dimm-like memory, but many of the older pentiums (especially 75, 90, and 100's...as well as some 120's and 133') used chips socketed directly to the mainboard. So the L2 may actually look much like the old RAM chips from a 286.

DanNeely
DanNeely
Joined: 4 Sep 05
Posts: 1,358
Credit: 2,810,470,918
RAC: 2,716,501

RE: Even though it has a

Message 60732 in response to message 60730

Quote:
Even though it has a faster rated speed than yours (200 Mhz), the old Cyrix architecture wasn't worth a crap when it comes to floating point work.

It still isn't. The architecture's passed through several owners and the via C7 is it's most recent offspring, it's still dog slow in FLOPs.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.