"new" GPU is slowing PC down (not the old one)

Markus Windisch
Markus Windisch
Joined: 23 Aug 21
Posts: 52
Credit: 85,375,702
RAC: 59,688
Topic 226676

Cheers, crunshers!

My "new" GTX 660TI slows down my PC a lot. Even scrolling Pages or writing is laggy. I went down on one GPU task but it doesn't make a difference. Is this special for some models or can I do something about it? Using my RTX 2070 I could run 3 GPU tasks and my PC was totally useable to do work stuff or even play older games.

I sold my RTX 2070 for a downgrade to a GTX 660TI. Sold the RTX because it doubled its value ^^

/info: I run my CPU at 50%, it has 16 cores. Gamma Ray Pulsar and Binary Pulsar only.

Greetings

Betreger
Betreger
Joined: 25 Feb 05
Posts: 965
Credit: 745,650,637
RAC: 276,898

That doesn't surprise me when

That doesn't surprise me when I was running a GTX660 I had the same issues, that all went away with a 3GB GTX1060.

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 8,428
Credit: 642,316,340
RAC: 149,668

Markus Windisch

Markus Windisch wrote:

Cheers, crunshers!

My "new" GTX 660TI slows down my PC a lot. Even scrolling Pages or writing is laggy. I went down on one GPU task but it doesn't make a difference. Is this special for some models or can I do something about it? Using my RTX 2070 I could run 3 GPU tasks and my PC was totally useable to do work stuff or even play older games.

I sold my RTX 2070 for a downgrade to a GTX 660TI. Sold the RTX because it doubled its value ^^

/info: I run my CPU at 50%, it has 16 cores. Gamma Ray Pulsar and Binary Pulsar only.

Greetings 

The 'new' gpu only has 2gb of onboard memory and you could be maxing it out, the old gpu had 8gb of onboard memory.

Markus Windisch
Markus Windisch
Joined: 23 Aug 21
Posts: 52
Credit: 85,375,702
RAC: 59,688

Betreger schrieb:That

Betreger wrote:

That doesn't surprise me when I was running a GTX660 I had the same issues, that all went away with a 3GB GTX1060.

Whoopsie, guess I'm not able to crunsh while working anymore :(

mikey wrote:

The 'new' gpu only has 2gb of onboard memory and you could be maxing it out, the old gpu had 8gb of onboard memory.

I've checked this one and it only uses 1.2 of 2 GB right now

 

 

 

 

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 8,428
Credit: 642,316,340
RAC: 149,668

Markus Windisch

Markus Windisch wrote:

Betreger wrote:

That doesn't surprise me when I was running a GTX660 I had the same issues, that all went away with a 3GB GTX1060.

Whoopsie, guess I'm not able to crunsh while working anymore :(

mikey wrote:

The 'new' gpu only has 2gb of onboard memory and you could be maxing it out, the old gpu had 8gb of onboard memory.

I've checked this one and it only uses 1.2 of 2 GB right now

Yes but you said you are also 'working' while you are crunching, that means you have about 0.8gb of memory for the gpu to juggle putting things on the screen at whatever resolution and how often things change there while also  trying to also crunch an Einstein task that's using 1.2gb of memory.

My suggestion would be to try crunching only 1 Einstein task at a time and see if that's better overall for your computer, 1 is better than nothing and that 1 could run faster than a single task on the old gpu due to the reason you got the new gpu in the first place.

Markus Windisch
Markus Windisch
Joined: 23 Aug 21
Posts: 52
Credit: 85,375,702
RAC: 59,688

mikey schrieb: My suggestion

mikey wrote:

My suggestion would be to try crunching only 1 Einstein task at a time and see if that's better overall for your computer, 1 is better than nothing and that 1 could run faster than a single task on the old gpu due to the reason you got the new gpu in the first place.

Thanks for your suggestions. 1 task is what I tried and it didn't change. Must be something with the GPU being too busy to render the screen while crunshing.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I sold the faster GPU because it's worth a lot due to GPU shortage. I bought this one for 350€ 1-1/2 year ago and sold it for 630€ now XD

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 1,929
Credit: 3,458,930,165
RAC: 6,156,442

If you set the GPU to suspend

If you set the GPU to suspend anytime you are using your system it might make for a better experience?

Still a Member of the O.F.A (Old Farts Association).
The illusion of control is sustained by the randomness of "murphy's law."

 

 

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 1,597
Credit: 11,842,227,276
RAC: 26,455,318

the screen lag most likely

the screen lag most likely has less to do with the amount of vram and more to do with the architecture and shear power difference in the two cards. the computational effort required to run your screen and move windows around even loading web pages (which are all GPU accelerated in modern operating systems/web browsers) is a much larger percentage of the total computational capabilities of a 660Ti than a much more powerful and efficient RTX 2070, which is about 4x more powerful/capable than a 660Ti.

_________________________________________________________________________

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.