Linux vs. Windows

Divide Overflow
Divide Overflow
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 91
Credit: 183,220
RAC: 0

Since Einstein@home doesn't

Since Einstein@home doesn't release their source, the only constructive thing to do is suggest as may optimization methods as possible and hope that the project team picks them up and run with them.

alex
alex
Joined: 18 Jan 05
Posts: 33
Credit: 7,515
RAC: 0

Nah, just run the 'nix client

Nah, just run the 'nix client using Microsoft's Services For Unix.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sfu/default.mspx

If you can compile it, you can run it.

wijata.com
wijata.com
Joined: 11 Feb 05
Posts: 113
Credit: 25,495,895
RAC: 0

RE: Today I found out that

Message 12358 in response to message 12354

Quote:

Today I found out that M$ seems to cheat.


Not really. It's the matter of optimization.
The transformation is right and acceptable. However as You notices it 'may'
lead to numeric instability.
In order to compute just like You want You have to turn off optimization and optimize the sourcecode itself.
Under gnuC it's -O0 - dunno how for M$.

Wurgl (speak^Wcrunching for Special: Off-Topic)
Wurgl (speak^Wc...
Joined: 11 Feb 05
Posts: 321
Credit: 140,550,008
RAC: 0

RE: RE: Today I found

Message 12359 in response to message 12358

Quote:
Quote:

Today I found out that M$ seems to cheat.

Not really. It's the matter of optimization.
The transformation is right and acceptable. However as You notices it 'may'
lead to numeric instability.

If optimization may cause incorrect results, it is good for [________]?
Please fill in. Thanks.

Biogenesis
Biogenesis
Joined: 11 Nov 04
Posts: 24
Credit: 140,834
RAC: 0

Just so people know what

Just so people know what optimization can do to your code, check out this little test I did:

For some reason the bloody forum won't let me post the code, basically it just added numbers in a loop of an undetermined length (read from stdin)...here's the results anyway:

$ gcc main.c -O0
$ echo 10000| ./a.out
1000.000000000158821 100.000000000014253 9.999999999999897 3700555018.500922203063965
$ gcc main.c -O3
$ echo 10000| ./a.out
999.999999999999886 100.000000000000014 10.000000000000000 3700555018.499999046325684

Just note the different results for different optimizations.

Walt Gribben
Walt Gribben
Joined: 20 Feb 05
Posts: 219
Credit: 1,645,393
RAC: 0

RE: Just so people know

Message 12361 in response to message 12360

Quote:

Just so people know what optimization can do to your code, check out this little test I did:

For some reason the bloody forum won't let me post the code, basically it just added numbers in a loop of an undetermined length (read from stdin)...here's the results anyway:

$ gcc main.c -O0
$ echo 10000| ./a.out
1000.000000000158821 100.000000000014253 9.999999999999897 3700555018.500922203063965
$ gcc main.c -O3
$ echo 10000| ./a.out
999.999999999999886 100.000000000000014 10.000000000000000 3700555018.499999046325684

Just note the different results for different optimizations.

What about the Microsoft compiler?

NottiusMaximus
NottiusMaximus
Joined: 4 Jun 05
Posts: 9
Credit: 10,366,691
RAC: 220

RE: Hi, I added two

Quote:

Hi,

I added two computers to my E@H cluster early this month just to see if what I thought I was seeing is true. The machines are identical P4 boxes (2.6GHz, HT, 512MB) but one is running Windows 2000 and the other runs Linux 2.6.9-1.667smp. The Linux box is much slower than the windows box. Any ideas as to why??

Linux: Measured FP 355.07, Interger 644.78
Last 5 work units:
CPS claim grant
Over Success Done 114,603.87 66.31 72.75
Over Success Done 103,363.96 59.81 72.78
Over Success Done 115,757.43 66.98 67.71
Over Success Done 98,435.62 56.96 72.80
Over Success Done 101,199.79 58.56 69.06

Win2K: Measured FP 1071.13, Interger 959.95
Last 5 work units:
CPS claim grant
Over Success Done 48,109.14 56.55 pending
Over Success Done 47,934.58 56.34 74.90
Over Success Done 48,194.14 56.65 72.88
Over Success Done 48,134.44 56.58 72.70
Over Success Done 47,992.80 56.41 75.54

Thanks,

Pat

I am running an AMD 1600 using tripple boot between W2K, Mandrake 10.1 and Amiga and receiving similar results. The Win version is roughly running 2 times the speed of the Mandrake.

I'm wondering if there's a code logic problem that the calculations are being done twice.

Brian

Gary Roberts
Gary Roberts
Moderator
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 5,437
Credit: 56,910,012,029
RAC: 71,582,492

RE: I'm wondering if

Message 12363 in response to message 12362

Quote:

I'm wondering if there's a code logic problem that the calculations are being done twice.
Brian

No such problem. There would have to be literally dozens of threads over the last few months documenting this and with the reasons explained. Please do a search for wine+linux+client in thread titles and you'll get plenty of info.

Please learn to use the force ..errhhh.. search people :).

Cheers,
Gary.

gravywavy
gravywavy
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 392
Credit: 68,962
RAC: 0

RE: There would have to be

Message 12364 in response to message 12363

Quote:
There would have to be literally dozens of threads over the last few months documenting this and with the reasons explained.


Surely it is time we had an FAQ on this topic - anyone up for writing it?

~~gravywavy

Paul D. Buck
Paul D. Buck
Joined: 17 Jan 05
Posts: 754
Credit: 5,385,205
RAC: 0

RE: RE: There would have

Message 12365 in response to message 12364

Quote:
Quote:
There would have to be literally dozens of threads over the last few months documenting this and with the reasons explained.
Surely it is time we had an FAQ on this topic - anyone up for writing it?

What would it say?

I know what little I have said about this topic is summed up as "it depends" ...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.