Errors on my GPU

Peter Hucker of the Scottish Boinc Team
Peter Hucker of...
Joined: 12 Aug 06
Posts: 513
Credit: 244,564,613
RAC: 133,644
Topic 226625

https://einsteinathome.org/task/1206157705

Anyone know what's wrong here?

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 1,602
Credit: 11,877,663,831
RAC: 27,563,858

Turn off beta tasks. The beta

Turn off beta tasks. The beta windows app doesn’t work on older AMD GPUs. Under windows it only works on Navi or newer. 

_________________________________________________________________________

Peter Hucker of the Scottish Boinc Team
Peter Hucker of...
Joined: 12 Aug 06
Posts: 513
Credit: 244,564,613
RAC: 133,644

Thankyou, that worked.  I

Thankyou, that worked.  I guess once the beta has finished I'll have to get a newer card.

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 8,432
Credit: 642,331,200
RAC: 135,032

Peter Hucker

Peter Hucker wrote:

Thankyou, that worked.  I guess once the beta has finished I'll have to get a newer card.

I did that for Christmas and OMG are they expensive!!! I bought an Nvidia 3060 and it was over $1000US from Amazon BUT it did come and it's ready and waiting for me to put it in a pc right now.

Peter Hucker of the Scottish Boinc Team
Peter Hucker of...
Joined: 12 Aug 06
Posts: 513
Credit: 244,564,613
RAC: 133,644

I prefer buying 2nd hand AMD

I prefer buying 2nd hand AMD ones from Ebay, in particular the ones before they lowered the double precision speed.

Although one day I will buy a fast Nvidia for games.  That will do well on Einstein but not MW.

Brent
Brent
Joined: 10 Aug 08
Posts: 28
Credit: 6,641,296
RAC: 1,206

Hello, all I need some help

Hello, all

I need some help please. I am running a Dell XPS 8900 computer with Windows 10 Home 64-bit, INTEL Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GMz (4 cores, 8 Logical Processors) and 64 GB Ram. and a NVIDIAGeForce GT 730 2GB DDR3 Video Card. I believe everything is up to date. However lately, I am having trouble running GPU project and getting listed credit for these tasks. In the past Collatz, Einstein and GPU Grid did work, but no more. Asteroids@home is currently down and Rosetta@home never did work right. I need help with these projects working on my system or other GPU project that will work on my system. I don't have the money at this time to upgrade my PC or Video Card (and hopefully shouldn't need to). At this point, my only option is to only run CPU projects are give up on Boinc completely.

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 8,432
Credit: 642,331,200
RAC: 135,032

Brent wrote: Hello, all I

Brent wrote:

Hello, all

I need some help please. I am running a Dell XPS 8900 computer with Windows 10 Home 64-bit, INTEL Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GMz (4 cores, 8 Logical Processors) and 64 GB Ram. and a NVIDIAGeForce GT 730 2GB DDR3 Video Card. I believe everything is up to date. However lately, I am having trouble running GPU project and getting listed credit for these tasks. In the past Collatz, Einstein and GPU Grid did work, but no more. Asteroids@home is currently down and Rosetta@home never did work right. I need help with these projects working on my system or other GPU project that will work on my system. I don't have the money at this time to upgrade my PC or Video Card (and hopefully shouldn't need to). At this point, my only option is to only run CPU projects are give up on Boinc completely. 

You posted this is another thread too which is where I responded

Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Joined: 2 Jan 10
Posts: 149
Credit: 1,903,570,482
RAC: 422,339

Peter Hucker

Peter Hucker wrote:

Thankyou, that worked.  I guess once the beta has finished I'll have to get a newer card.

 

If it is already known issue then admins should adjust server scheduler to NOT to send new app to older AMD cards.

As it is already done for a very old cards (as Tahiti based ones for example).

I have beta apps allowed for last few years and my oldest GPUs (HD 7850/7870 and other from Tahiti generation) always only getting WUs for old FGRPB1G app and happily crunch them without any problems.

But never cards (RX 570, Polaris based) start getting new app in last 2 days (due to recent GW work shortage caused by server issues - it was crunching GW work before)  and have 100% error rate on FGRPB1G  (while still fine on O3AS GW if manage to get any from re-sends). Until i have found this topic and disabled beta work for them - now they too switched to old FGRPB1G  and look like working OK.

I couldn't think that the problem might be that the RX 570 is "too old", when at the same time much older video cards worked without problems. Thanks to you i have found that there are actually different apps for the same app (pun intended)

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 1,602
Credit: 11,877,663,831
RAC: 27,563,858

Mad_Max wrote: I couldn't

Mad_Max wrote:

I couldn't think that the problem might be that the RX 570 is "too old", when at the same time much older video cards worked without problems. Thanks to you i have found that there are actually different apps for the same app (pun intended)

the hardware isn’t really “too old” as an RX570 supports the features in use by the new application. But it seems to be a problem with the Windows drivers not having the proper support. If you put the same GPU under Linux with ROCm drivers then the beta app works properly. I’ve tested and confirmed this for both Windows and Linux. 
 

An RX570 doesn’t benefit anyway. Basically the same speed of the old app vs the new app. 

_________________________________________________________________________

Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Joined: 2 Jan 10
Posts: 149
Credit: 1,903,570,482
RAC: 422,339

Good to know. Thanks for

Good to know.

Thanks for the info. I will just stick to the old app then.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.