does Einstein have WUs for an INTEL GPU?

MikeN
MikeN
Joined: 19 Dec 11
Posts: 9
Credit: 23,439,498
RAC: 0
Topic 197224

I searched online and the answer seems to be yes, but whenever my new PC with an integrated INTEL GPU asks for WU from Einstein it just gets the response:

15/10/2013 13:07:40 | Einstein@Home | see scheduler log messages on http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu//host_sched_logs/8873/8873809

In contrast it gets and processes WUs from Collatz without problem.

Claggy
Claggy
Joined: 29 Dec 06
Posts: 560
Credit: 2,640,966
RAC: 235

does Einstein have WUs for an INTEL GPU?

Quote:

I searched online and the answer seems to be yes, but whenever my new PC with an integrated INTEL GPU asks for WU from Einstein it just gets the response:

15/10/2013 13:07:40 | Einstein@Home | see scheduler log messages on http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu//host_sched_logs/8873/8873809

In contrast it gets and processes WUs from Collatz without problem.

If you read the log it says:

Quote:
2013-10-15 12:07:40.6796 [PID=1217 ] [version] Don't need CPU jobs, skipping version 133 for einsteinbinary_BRP4 (BRP4X64)
2013-10-15 12:07:40.6796 [PID=1217 ] [version] Checking plan class 'opencl-intel_gpu'
2013-10-15 12:07:40.6796 [PID=1217 ] [version] parsed project prefs setting 'gpu_util_brp': 0.500000
2013-10-15 12:07:40.6797 [PID=1217 ] [version] OpenCL device version required min: 102, supplied: 101
2013-10-15 12:07:40.6797 [PID=1217 ] [version] Checking plan class 'BRP4SSE'
2013-10-15 12:07:40.6797 [PID=1217 ] [version] plan class ok
2013-10-15 12:07:40.6797 [PID=1217 ] [version] Don't need CPU jobs, skipping version 133 for einsteinbinary_BRP4 (BRP4SSE)
2013-10-15 12:07:40.6797 [PID=1217 ] [version] Checking plan class 'opencl-intel_gpu'
2013-10-15 12:07:40.6797 [PID=1217 ] [version] parsed project prefs setting 'gpu_util_brp': 0.500000
2013-10-15 12:07:40.6797 [PID=1217 ] [version] OpenCL device version required min: 102, supplied: 101

So upgrade your drivers to the match the minimum requirement.

Claggy

MikeN
MikeN
Joined: 19 Dec 11
Posts: 9
Credit: 23,439,498
RAC: 0

I have just tried updating my

I have just tried updating my driver, but it just tells me I already have the most recent version!!

Can you point me in the right direction?

Richard Haselgrove
Richard Haselgrove
Joined: 10 Dec 05
Posts: 2,121
Credit: 1,919,978,993
RAC: 2,761,943

RE: I have just tried

Quote:

I have just tried updating my driver, but it just tells me I already have the most recent version!!

Can you point me in the right direction?


I'm running an Intel i7 with HD 4000, Windows 7/64 (host 5744895). That sounds pretty close to your host 8873809.

I'm using the drivers from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23106, but check that everything matches - at your own risk.

Logforme
Logforme
Joined: 13 Aug 10
Posts: 332
Credit: 1,714,373,961
RAC: 0

It's not a Dell machine by

It's not a Dell machine by any chance? I have a Dell with a nice iGPU in it but the Dell driver (Intel driver with a Dell stamp on them) are not updated to the latest Intel version and still have the OpenCL 1.1
And installing the real driver directly from Intel won't work. It refuses to install, telling me to use the Dell one. Awesome :(

MikeN
MikeN
Joined: 19 Dec 11
Posts: 9
Credit: 23,439,498
RAC: 0

Yes it's a dell with an intel

Yes it's a dell with an intel i5. Sounds like that may be my problem, but I will try Richards link tomorrow.

Richard Haselgrove
Richard Haselgrove
Joined: 10 Dec 05
Posts: 2,121
Credit: 1,919,978,993
RAC: 2,761,943

That's interesting. My other

That's interesting. My other intel_gpu machine (host 8864187) is a Dell, too - an Optiplex 9020 with 4th. generation ('Haswell') i5. That was delivered from the factory four weeks ago with the OpenCL 1.2 drivers pre-installed and ready to go. So, Dell know about them and can use them - worth a support call to keep them on their toes?

I'll see if I can find a Dell driver on the support pages for my service tag.

Edit - here's a Dell (Europe - UK) download link for the Intel graphics driver.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukbsdt1/DriverDetails/Product/optiplex-9020-desktop?driverId=PG42R&osCode=W764&fileId=3192795437&languageCode=EN&categoryId=VI

That's described as 'version 9.18.10.3055' - that's the same as the factory-installed version which ran Einstein first time on this machine (Service Tag: 8ZVJ5Y1)

MikeN
MikeN
Joined: 19 Dec 11
Posts: 9
Credit: 23,439,498
RAC: 0

Looks like this is a

Looks like this is a failure.

I got the latest driver from Dell and installed it (9.17.10.3040), but it is still CL1.01 so no good. NB my system is an intel i5 with 2500 GPU so slightly different to Richard's.

I then tried to get the driver from INTEL but whilst it recognised that there was a newer driver available (win64_153117), it refused to install on my Dell as apparently it is not compatible with the OS.

Looks like I will just have to be patient and keep crunching Collatz until Dell make a newer driver available.

Richard Haselgrove
Richard Haselgrove
Joined: 10 Dec 05
Posts: 2,121
Credit: 1,919,978,993
RAC: 2,761,943

RE: Looks like this is a

Quote:

Looks like this is a failure.

I got the latest driver from Dell and installed it (9.17.10.3040), but it is still CL1.01 so no good. NB my system is an intel i5 with 2500 GPU so slightly different to Richard's.

I then tried to get the driver from INTEL but whilst it recognised that there was a newer driver available (win64_153117), it refused to install on my Dell as apparently it is not compatible with the OS.

Looks like I will just have to be patient and keep crunching Collatz until Dell make a newer driver available.


Did you try the auto-install (executable) version of 153117, or the zip download?

I had an 'unsupported OS' error from the installer on another machine (i7, not a Dell), but downloading the .zip version, extracting files, and running setup.exe got round that.

MikeN
MikeN
Joined: 19 Dec 11
Posts: 9
Credit: 23,439,498
RAC: 0

There was no zip download

There was no zip download available. I downloaded the .exe file from:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

then ran it from my PC. All the files extracted, but hen I go the unsupported OS error message.

Richard Haselgrove
Richard Haselgrove
Joined: 10 Dec 05
Posts: 2,121
Credit: 1,919,978,993
RAC: 2,761,943

RE: There was no zip

Quote:

There was no zip download available. I downloaded the .exe file from:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

then ran it from my PC. All the files extracted, but hen I go the unsupported OS error message.


https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23106 has the zip (second link).

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.