Can't get activation code?

Ken Vogt
Ken Vogt
Joined: 18 Jan 05
Posts: 41
Credit: 321,783
RAC: 0
Topic 187926

A user over at the Bad Astronomy site writes:

"I can't even get them to send me the account activation codes. I think that verizon's email system blocks them."

Has anyone had a similar problem or know a solution?

Does verizon have a white list he can use if that's what's happening?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

BTW love the new look forum. :)

Ken

John McLeod VII
John McLeod VII
Moderator
Joined: 10 Nov 04
Posts: 547
Credit: 632,255
RAC: 0

Can't get activation code?

> A user over at the Bad Astronomy site writes:
>
> "I can't even get them to send me the account activation codes. I think that
> verizon's email system blocks them."
>
> Has anyone had a similar problem or know a solution?
>
> Does verizon have a white list he can use if that's what's happening?
>
> Thanks in advance for any insight.
>
> BTW love the new look forum. :)
>
He is quite possibly right that his ISP is blocking the BOINC emails as spam as there are a large number of nearly identical emails. I don't know if Verizon has a white list.

If (s)he has another email address, (s)he can use that one and switch the email addy later.

genes
genes
Joined: 10 Nov 04
Posts: 41
Credit: 626,204
RAC: 0

Hmmm, I have Verizon, but I

Hmmm, I have Verizon, but I had no problem getting an activation mail from Einstein, but maybe Verizon is blocking more now. I definitely cannot get an activation mail from CPDN on Verizon, so I had to use my work e-mail address. Sucks because cross-project ID doesn't work now...


Bruce Allen
Bruce Allen
Moderator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 1,109
Credit: 172,125,663
RAC: 0

> Hmmm, I have Verizon, but I

Message 4870 in response to message 4869

> Hmmm, I have Verizon, but I had no problem getting an activation mail from
> Einstein, but maybe Verizon is blocking more now. I definitely cannot get an
> activation mail from CPDN on Verizon, so I had to use my work e-mail address.
> Sucks because cross-project ID doesn't work now...

I've asked our Network people to contact Verizon and ask to have einstein white-listed. This may take a day or so.

Cheers,
Bruce

Director, Einstein@Home

Ken Vogt
Ken Vogt
Joined: 18 Jan 05
Posts: 41
Credit: 321,783
RAC: 0

Bruce and all, Thanks so

Message 4871 in response to message 4870

Bruce and all,

Thanks so much for your speedy attention. As it happens, the person posted back that he got E@H running; they didn't say how the problem was resolved. Anyhow, s/he is now a happily crunching member of the BABB team.

Sorry to make extra work for you, but adding Ol' Al to their whitelist can't be a bad thing.

Ken

Bruce Allen
Bruce Allen
Moderator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 1,109
Credit: 172,125,663
RAC: 0

> Bruce and all, > > Thanks

Message 4872 in response to message 4871

> Bruce and all,
>
> Thanks so much for your speedy attention. As it happens, the person posted
> back that he got E@H running; they didn't say how the problem was resolved.
> Anyhow, s/he is now a happily crunching member of the BABB team.
>
> Sorry to make extra work for you, but adding Ol' Al to their whitelist can't
> be a bad thing.

It turns out that this was our fault, not Verizon's. We had set up einstein.phys.uwm.edu to SEND mail but not to RECEIVE it. That violates internet mail standards, and so some ISPs such as Verizon were blocking our mail. As soon as we enabled RECEIVE this unblocked a lot of queued mail. So hopefully 99% of people who have not gotten their account keys in the mail will now get them (or be able to get them, at least!).

I think this was our biggest screw-up in the Einstein@Home launch. I'm sorry for the problems it caused.

Cheers,
Bruce

Director, Einstein@Home

Ken Vogt
Ken Vogt
Joined: 18 Jan 05
Posts: 41
Credit: 321,783
RAC: 0

Bruce, That explains

Message 4873 in response to message 4872

Bruce,

That explains it!

I just came back to say the the person I spoke of *did* just get his code from Verizon so the floodgates are open. :)

And in fact the reason he had been able to join earlier was that he used an alternate address. Figured that out himself; wish I had thought to suggest it.

Keep up the great work!

Ken

debugas
debugas
Joined: 11 Nov 04
Posts: 170
Credit: 77,331
RAC: 0

> We had set up

Message 4874 in response to message 4873

> We had set up einstein.phys.uwm.edu to SEND mail but not to RECEIVE it.

Most public web based mail servers require that.
I was not recieving E@H emails to my @mail.ru, @list.ru email boxes. I had to use my ISP's mail box (the one i pay for)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.