BRP deadline to short?

crazyrabbit1
crazyrabbit1
Joined: 23 Sep 06
Posts: 34
Credit: 4,207,137
RAC: 0
Topic 195527

Wow,

i just get my first BRP Wu and it is gone to high priority in a second. Looking at the deadline of only 2 days and an estimatet runtime from about 24 hours, my system would not handle it in time, because einstein is running only on cpu and it is not running 24/7.
Is there a plan to change the deadline or should i stop crunching brp's ?
On my system ( q6600 2.4@3 )the wu is now running 53 minutes and done 4.7%, remaining 23 hours. I think on slower systems a brp can not be done in time.

Regards

Gary Roberts
Gary Roberts
Moderator
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 5,851
Credit: 110,935,735,328
RAC: 34,590,037

BRP deadline to short?

Quote:

i just get my first BRP Wu and it is gone to high priority in a second. Looking at the deadline of only 2 days and an estimatet runtime from about 24 hours, my system would not handle it in time, because einstein is running only on cpu and it is not running 24/7.

Is there a plan to change the deadline or should i stop crunching brp's ?


The tasks being distributed at the moment consist of a relatively small number of test units. I imagine the short deadline has been set in an attempt to get the answers back as quickly as possible. When a 'production' run starts, I'm sure the tasks will have the normal deadline of 2 weeks.

Quote:
On my system ( q6600 2.4@3 )the wu is now running 53 minutes and done 4.7%, remaining 23 hours. I think on slower systems a brp can not be done in time.


I have a couple of systems that have managed to get some tasks, one of which just happens to be a Q6600 also running at around 3.0GHz which has 4 BRP3 tasks in total. As downloaded, they were estimated to take around 14 hours. By manual intervention, I have promoted 2 BRP3 tasks to start crunching immediately, rather than waiting for the GC1HF tasks ahead of them to be crunched. The other two cores are crunching GC1HF tasks. The BRP3 tasks are just over 40% complete after about 7.5 hours and if the rate of progress remains unchanged, they should complete in around 18 hours or perhaps a little over that. The other two BRP3 tasks will be started when the first two finish, unless BOINC decides to invoke HP mode and start them in place of the current GC1HF tasks. That hasn't happened yet.

Cheers,
Gary.

metalius
metalius
Joined: 29 Dec 05
Posts: 44
Credit: 172,953,875
RAC: 8,089

Gary, thank You for

Gary, thank You for explanation.

Bernd Machenschalk
Bernd Machenschalk
Moderator
Administrator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 4,276
Credit: 245,562,937
RAC: 11,191

RE: The tasks being

Quote:
The tasks being distributed at the moment consist of a relatively small number of test units. I imagine the short deadline has been set in an attempt to get the answers back as quickly as possible. When a 'production' run starts, I'm sure the tasks will have the normal deadline of 2 weeks.

This is correct.

BM

BM

crazyrabbit1
crazyrabbit1
Joined: 23 Sep 06
Posts: 34
Credit: 4,207,137
RAC: 0

Thanks for the answers. Then

Thanks for the answers. Then i better not ask for new brp's until production starts.

Regards

archae86
archae86
Joined: 6 Dec 05
Posts: 3,146
Credit: 7,096,094,931
RAC: 1,370,259

crazyrabbit1 wrote:Thanks for

crazyrabbit1 wrote:
Thanks for the answers. Then i better not ask for new brp's until production starts.

It appears production has started. Or, at least, new 1.04 BRP aps are out as of December 22, one of my hosts downloaded a unit, and the due date for that unit is January 6, 2011. Maybe pre-production, but at least the deadlines are no longer so short.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.