Binary Radio Pulsar Search (Arecibo) "BRP4" - Arecibo data status

Bernd Machenschalk
Bernd Machenschalk
Moderator
Administrator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 3784
Credit: 169101800
RAC: 62995
Topic 197255

We are slowly but steadily finishing the data we got from Arecibo.

At current rate and unless we get new data from Arecibo until then, BRP4G (GPU, inner galaxy beams) data will be finsihed in about 26 days. There's still plenty of BRP5 data to feed our GPUs with, though.

Likewise our buffer of BRP4 data (CPUs, Intel GPUs, Android) is shrinking. Without measurements we will run out of this data in about 50 days. As we want to keep at least our Android devices fed, we disabled BRP4 (apps) for CPUs - the project has plenty of other CPU work for other applications (S6CasA, FGRP). For now, Intel GPUs will still get BRP4 tasks, but we may disable this in the future as well.

BM

BM

Filipe
Filipe
Joined: 10 Mar 05
Posts: 143
Credit: 211121940
RAC: 356144

Binary Radio Pulsar Search (Arecibo) "BRP4" - Arecibo data statu

Thanks for the update Bernd.

skgiven
skgiven
Joined: 27 Nov 09
Posts: 7
Credit: 22535770
RAC: 7392

RE: ... Likewise our buffer

Quote:

...
Likewise our buffer of BRP4 data (CPUs, Intel GPUs, Android) is shrinking. Without measurements we will run out of this data in about 50 days. As we want to keep at least our Android devices fed, we disabled BRP4 (apps) for CPUs - the project has plenty of other CPU work for other applications (S6CasA, FGRP). For now, Intel GPUs will still get BRP4 tasks, but we may disable this in the future as well.

BM


This is the only available project I would want to use my Intel gpu's on. The other project is not for me.
On the other hand there are several Andriod projects and numerous CPU and GPU projects.

AgentB
AgentB
Joined: 17 Mar 12
Posts: 915
Credit: 512806264
RAC: 7

RE: We are slowly but

Quote:

We are slowly but steadily finishing the data we got from Arecibo.

At current rate and unless we get new data from Arecibo ...

thanks for the update..

It was quite a surprise to me one day looking over the Arecebo website to see the exact telescope schedule for p2030 which had produced the WUs being processed on my machine. It is little things like this that make E@H a cool project.

I noticed about 300 hours of telescope time had been requested for the coming year so i guess in theory there is plenty of data in the future.

Is there any likelihood of more data soon?

Benjamin Knispel
Benjamin Knispel
Joined: 1 Jun 06
Posts: 127
Credit: 4974142
RAC: 0

RE: I noticed about 300

Quote:

I noticed about 300 hours of telescope time had been requested for the coming year so i guess in theory there is plenty of data in the future.

Is there any likelihood of more data soon?

In fact we have just received an email from one of our US colleagues who said he has fresh Arecibo data and will make them available to us soon. So there is more data on the way.

Cheers,
Benjamin

 

Einstein@Home Project

Mumak
Joined: 26 Feb 13
Posts: 310
Credit: 1353297108
RAC: 1701600

I'm not getting any BRP4 work

I'm not getting any BRP4 work since several hours. Is this just a temporary problem?

"No work is available for Binary Radio Pulsar Search (Arecibo, GPU)"

-----

Bernd Machenschalk
Bernd Machenschalk
Moderator
Administrator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 3784
Credit: 169101800
RAC: 62995

RE: I'm not getting any

Quote:
I'm not getting any BRP4 work since several hours. Is this just a temporary problem?

Yes. Something got stuck in the pre-processing pipeline. Was fixed, BRP4G tasks should be available again soon.

BM

BM

Bernd Machenschalk
Bernd Machenschalk
Moderator
Administrator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 3784
Credit: 169101800
RAC: 62995

Got a nice comment from Adam

Got a nice comment from Adam Brazier, who manages the Arecibo data at Cornell (and is the "US colleague" Benjamin was referring to):

Quote:
it's pretty impressive how you guys have turned the "need more processing for Arecibo pulsar data" problem into a "need more Arecibo pulsar data" problem.

BM

BM

astro-marwil
astro-marwil
Joined: 28 May 05
Posts: 407
Credit: 130452122
RAC: 108993

Hallo! Does somebody know,

Hallo!
Does somebody know, when the Chinese 500 meter radioteleskope under construction is comming into operation, and will we get probably also data from there in future?

Kind regards and happy crunching
Martin

Benjamin Knispel
Benjamin Knispel
Joined: 1 Jun 06
Posts: 127
Credit: 4974142
RAC: 0

RE: Hallo! Does somebody

Quote:

Hallo!
Does somebody know, when the Chinese 500 meter radioteleskope under construction is comming into operation, and will we get probably also data from there in future?

Kind regards and happy crunching
Martin

Dear Martin,

I recently attended a meeting in China, called START (Science and Technology for Large Radio Telescopes), at which I gave a talk on the Einstein@Home search for radio pulsars.

If I remember correctly, the plan is to start taking data with FAST (the name of the 500-meter radio telescope in China) in 2016. They are currently in a phase where they are doing the groundwork and installing the girders. So the telescope's main mirror is not yet done, but they seem to be on track so far.

You may browse the "Programme" section of the meeting website and have a look at the talks uploaded there. Some of them have slides with images from the site showing the progress of the construction work.

I also spoke with some of the Chinese scientists who seemed interested in Einstein@Home as a tool for processing pulsar data taken with FAST. It is not yet clear whether we will get FAST data for Einstein@Home but we certainly would love that.

Cheers,
Benjamin

 

Einstein@Home Project

astro-marwil
astro-marwil
Joined: 28 May 05
Posts: 407
Credit: 130452122
RAC: 108993

Hallo Benjamin! Thank you for

Hallo Benjamin!
Thank you for your answer in due. I believe, we will heare in the field of science a lot from China within the next years. It´s inpressive to see, how they build up their capacilities.

Why do you take a back seat. I think the foils of your lecture are also of much interest to the participants here.

Kind regards and happy crunching
Martin

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.