Adding new project caused task status change ?

Lotus Lee Bomar and Robert S Hoover
Lotus Lee Bomar...
Joined: 4 Jul 07
Posts: 3
Credit: 3,862
RAC: 0
Topic 193124

When I click on TASKS the Status column shows :
"Suspended - user active"
I had just attached to a new project "Superlinkat Technion" and it was downloading a data pack.
Also ,The Boinc website doesn't recognize my email address when I try to login there.
Would having too many projects (21) cause this ?

Robert

Bikeman (Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein)
Bikeman (Heinz-...
Moderator
Joined: 28 Aug 06
Posts: 3,515
Credit: 453,257,476
RAC: 5,757

Adding new project caused task status change ?

Quote:

When I click on TASKS the Status column shows :
"Suspended - user active"
I had just attached to a new project "Superlinkat Technion" and it was downloading a data pack.
Also ,The Boinc website doesn't recognize my email address when I try to login there.
Would having too many projects (21) cause this ?

Robert

Hmmm, I've never seen this but I would guess that you have configured BOINC to run the science app only after a certain period of inactivity. As long as BOINC is sensing that you are "active", it will suspend all running tasks.

This might be related to you signing up for a new project, tho. On each project's website, you can configure the general preferences like the one I mentioned above, and the preferences which were changed most recently will be used by BOINC on your computer. So maybe you want to double-check the preferences on your new project's web site.

CU
Bikeman

Jord
Joined: 26 Jan 05
Posts: 2,952
Credit: 5,651,537
RAC: 878

The BOINC website (you mean

The BOINC website (you mean BOINC forums, perhaps?) needs its own registration to be able to post there. That goes for the forums and for Trac.

hmusseau
hmusseau
Joined: 20 Nov 06
Posts: 1
Credit: 152,900,974
RAC: 251,027

IIRC this message appears

IIRC this message appears when you have set your preferences to not running when you are active on your computers, but only after x minutes of inactivity.
You should be able to force it otherwise by selecting "run always" in your boinc manager, although it may be preferable to change your settings at a project's site.
And yes, since the preferences are common to all projects, and the latest change takes precedence, it means that signing up for a new project can alter your settings if that project has set defaults preferences. So you should check your preferences after joining a new project.


Information Wants To Be Free

Nothing But Idle Time
Nothing But Idl...
Joined: 24 Aug 05
Posts: 158
Credit: 289,204
RAC: 0

RE: ...since the

Message 73009 in response to message 73008

Quote:
...since the preferences are common to all projects, and the latest change takes precedence, it means that signing up for a new project can alter your settings...

Exactly why BOINC shouldn't automatically change its global preferences upon attaching to a new project, IMO. The new project settings are not likely the same as you were using prior to the attach. And if you don't have the old settings written down, or don't remember what they were, or don't have a backup to refer to, or use an override file, you may be hard pressed to reinstate them. There have been posts about not downloading new work when attaching to a new project also.

Jord
Joined: 26 Jan 05
Posts: 2,952
Credit: 5,651,537
RAC: 878

RE: or use an override

Message 73010 in response to message 73009

Quote:
or use an override file


When you use a global_prefs_override file (e.g. using the Advanced preferences in BOINC 5.10), no changes are done to the preferences on that host.

Now saying that, I attached to Enigma the other day and didn't check the preferences there on the website. I only changed the project preferences so resource share would match the rest. But general preferences, I didn't touch. And they are in compliance with those over on e.g. Einstein.

So in my opinion, the preferences used by the new project will only propagate to BOINC (and other projects) when you make any changes on the site itself and save them, then Update BOINC. Else, the old preferences still in use through any other project are used and propagated to the new project.

Nothing But Idle Time
Nothing But Idl...
Joined: 24 Aug 05
Posts: 158
Credit: 289,204
RAC: 0

RE: RE: or use an

Message 73011 in response to message 73010

Quote:
Quote:
or use an override file

When you use a global_prefs_override file (e.g. using the Advanced preferences in BOINC 5.10), no changes are done to the preferences on that host.

I only meant that if you use an override file then you both have a reference file for your settings and they won't be overriden by attaching to a new project.

Quote:

Now saying that, I attached to Enigma the other day and didn't check the preferences there on the website. I only changed the project preferences so resource share would match the rest. But general preferences, I didn't touch. And they are in compliance with those over on e.g. Einstein.

So in my opinion, the preferences used by the new project will only propagate to BOINC (and other projects) when you make any changes on the site itself and save them, then Update BOINC. Else, the old preferences still in use through any other project are used and propagated to the new project.

I cannot determine if you are right or wrong. I recently attached to Cosmology and afterwards I seem to remember seeing a line in my message log that general preferences were coming from Cosmology even though they were originally coming from Rosetta. It is possible that my prefs were uploaded to Cosmology and THEN that project became the default source. It's been a couple of weeks now so my recollection is a bit foggy.

Jord
Joined: 26 Jan 05
Posts: 2,952
Credit: 5,651,537
RAC: 878

I'm foggy as well, but

Message 73012 in response to message 73011

I'm foggy as well, but checked my logs.

Enigma I attached to yesterday, but my Message log still claims:
12-Sep-07 15:08:42||General prefs: from Einstein@Home (last modified 2007-05-08 18:35:31)

:-)

(wondering if that is 5th of August or 8th of May though. In any case, it's outside the attach to date on Enigma. And BOINC isn't using Enigma's general prefs.)

Nothing But Idle Time
Nothing But Idl...
Joined: 24 Aug 05
Posts: 158
Credit: 289,204
RAC: 0

RE: I'm foggy as well, but

Message 73013 in response to message 73012

Quote:

I'm foggy as well, but checked my logs.

Enigma I attached to yesterday, but my Message log still claims:
12-Sep-07 15:08:42||General prefs: from Einstein@Home (last modified 2007-05-08 18:35:31)

:-)

(wondering if that is 5th of August or 8th of May though. In any case, it's outside the attach to date on Enigma. And BOINC isn't using Enigma's general prefs.)


(sigh)..Guess we'll have to resolve this matter another day. However, I defer to your vast experience on this matter for now.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.