-0 MB memory

Edgar Alwers
Edgar Alwers
Joined: 23 Feb 05
Posts: 8
Credit: 0
RAC: 0
Topic 188044

I installed Boing client 2.19 on two Linux-boxes. Installation was easy and OK. Now, after launching "boinc_4.19_i686-pc-linux-gnu" I get a message: No work sent ( there was work but your computer doesn't have enough memory). Searching in my account, I find the memory of both boxes given with -0 MB ! However, the first box has at that moment a physical memory availaible of near 140 MB, the second one has had some 112 MB. What is going wrong ? And a new tryial is only possible after one day ! ( Einstein-Home)
Could you advise me ? Thank you in advance
Edgar

debugas
debugas
Joined: 11 Nov 04
Posts: 170
Credit: 77,331
RAC: 0

-0 MB memory

one of the causes maybe badly configured your account settings, try changing them here I have in mind Disk and memory usage

Edgar Alwers
Edgar Alwers
Joined: 23 Feb 05
Posts: 8
Credit: 0
RAC: 0

I changed my configuration:

I changed my configuration: it now says
"
use no more than 100 GB
leave at least 0 GB free
use not more than 100% of total disk space
use not more than 100% or virtual memory. "

I think, this should be OK. But inspite, the computer data still shows -0 MB of memory. Here the data provided by a cat in one of my two boxes:
quote
---------
bash-2.05b$ cat /proc/meminfo
total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 262610944 224075776 38535168 0 38756352 100810752
Swap: 1924673536 0 1924673536
MemTotal: 256456 kB
MemFree: 37632 kB
MemShared: 0 kB
Buffers: 37848 kB
Cached: 98448 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 52500 kB
Inactive: 149572 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 256456 kB
LowFree: 37632 kB
SwapTotal: 1879564 kB
SwapFree: 1879564 kB
--------------
unquote
( the free memory is down at this moment, but when installing Boinc it was 114 MB ).
Any ideas what is wrong ?
Thank you,
Edgar

Bruce Allen
Bruce Allen
Moderator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 1,109
Credit: 172,125,663
RAC: 0

> I installed Boing client

> I installed Boing client 2.19 on two Linux-boxes. Installation was easy and
> OK. Now, after launching "boinc_4.19_i686-pc-linux-gnu" I get a message: No
> work sent ( there was work but your computer doesn't have enough memory).
> Searching in my account, I find the memory of both boxes given with -0 MB !
> However, the first box has at that moment a physical memory availaible of near
> 140 MB, the second one has had some 112 MB. What is going wrong ? And a new
> tryial is only possible after one day ! ( Einstein-Home)
> Could you advise me ? Thank you in advance

I hope you meant the BOINC client 4.19. Since it appears to be incorrectly reporting the physical memory, I would guess that something sent wrong when BOINC was installed and recorded the memory.

Here are two things to try. First, check that the user who is running BOINC can read meminfo.
Then try uninstalling and re-installing BOINC (eg, remove all the .xml files from the BOINC working directory). Finally, if both of these fail, I suggest you try the latest BOINC experimental client for Linux (probably 4.24) which you can get by going to the download page and clicking the link at the bottom that says something like 'also show development versions'. If you do this be sure that the boinc 4.19 client is stopped before you start the new boinc client (and client GUI).

Bruce

Director, Einstein@Home

Bruce Allen
Bruce Allen
Moderator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 1,109
Credit: 172,125,663
RAC: 0

> I installed Boing client

> I installed Boing client 2.19 on two Linux-boxes. Installation was easy and
> OK. Now, after launching "boinc_4.19_i686-pc-linux-gnu" I get a message: No
> work sent ( there was work but your computer doesn't have enough memory).
> Searching in my account, I find the memory of both boxes given with -0 MB !
> However, the first box has at that moment a physical memory availaible of near
> 140 MB, the second one has had some 112 MB. What is going wrong ? And a new
> tryial is only possible after one day ! ( Einstein-Home)
> Could you advise me ? Thank you in advance

I hope you meant the BOINC client 4.19. Since it appears to be incorrectly reporting the physical memory, I would guess that something sent wrong when BOINC was installed and recorded the memory.

Try uninstalling and re-installing BOINC (eg, remove all the .xml files from the BOINC working directory). If this fails to show more memory, I suggest you try the latest BOINC experimental client for Linux (probably 4.24) which you can get by going to the download page and clicking the link at the bottom that says something like 'also show development versions'. If you do this be sure that the boinc 4.19 client is stopped before you start the new boinc client (and client GUI).

Bruce

Director, Einstein@Home

Edgar Alwers
Edgar Alwers
Joined: 23 Feb 05
Posts: 8
Credit: 0
RAC: 0

Hi Bruce, also with new

Message 5523 in response to message 5522

Hi Bruce,

also with new installation of experimental version 4.24 the amount of memory reported by "computers on this account" continues beeing -0 MB.
/proc/meminfo has the permissions -r--r--r--, which should be OK. How does boinc transmit the memory data ? If I give "/proc/meminfo" I get "permission denied", either as root or as user. Only "cat /proc/meminfo" gives results.
I am behind an Allnet router, but I don't think this could be of influence, as all other data concerning my PC's has been cleanly transmitted.

Thank you for your assistance
Edgar

Bruce Allen
Bruce Allen
Moderator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 1,109
Credit: 172,125,663
RAC: 0

> Hi Bruce, > > also with

Message 5524 in response to message 5523

> Hi Bruce,
>
> also with new installation of experimental version 4.24 the amount of memory
> reported by "computers on this account" continues beeing -0 MB.
> /proc/meminfo has the permissions -r--r--r--, which should be OK. How does
> boinc transmit the memory data ? If I give "/proc/meminfo" I get "permission
> denied", either as root or as user. Only "cat /proc/meminfo" gives results.
> I am behind an Allnet router, but I don't think this could be of influence, as
> all other data concerning my PC's has been cleanly transmitted.

Thank you for following up. Here's where BOINC is supposed to get this.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/boinc/client/hostinfo_unix.C?rev=1.94&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

code is:

#elif defined(_SC_PHYS_PAGES)
m_nbytes = (double)sysconf(_SC_PAGESIZE) * (double)sysconf(_SC_PHYS_PAGES); /* Linux */

Do you have a way of determining what this returns on your system?

Cheers,
Bruce

Director, Einstein@Home

Edgar Alwers
Edgar Alwers
Joined: 23 Feb 05
Posts: 8
Credit: 0
RAC: 0

Hi Bruce, thanks for your

Message 5525 in response to message 5524

Hi Bruce,
thanks for your reply. I found the C-programm.
snip
--------
/* There can be a variety of methods to obtain amount of
* usable memory. You will have to check your sysconf()
* defines, probably in unistd.h
--------
end snip

I could not find sysconf defines in my unistd.h file. Unfortunately, I am not an C programmer, although my system is a linux one I compiled from the scratch. Would it be possible for you to give me an extract of the programm which I could compile and run and that prints the returned memory information, so I could provide you with the info my system is returning ?

> code is:
>
> #elif defined(_SC_PHYS_PAGES)
> m_nbytes = (double)sysconf(_SC_PAGESIZE) *
> (double)sysconf(_SC_PHYS_PAGES); /* Linux */
>
> Do you have a way of determining what this returns on your system?
>
See above

Thank you for your help,
Edgar

Bruce Allen
Bruce Allen
Moderator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 1,109
Credit: 172,125,663
RAC: 0

> I could not find sysconf

Message 5526 in response to message 5525

> I could not find sysconf defines in my unistd.h file. Unfortunately, I am not
> an C programmer, although my system is a linux one I compiled from the
> scratch. Would it be possible for you to give me an extract of the programm
> which I could compile and run and that prints the returned memory information,
> so I could provide you with the info my system is returning ?

I'm adding this to the FAQ on the front page (currently the very last item). The forums strip out too many characters for me to put the code here.

Bruce

Director, Einstein@Home

Edgar Alwers
Edgar Alwers
Joined: 23 Feb 05
Posts: 8
Credit: 0
RAC: 0

Hi Bruce, thank you very

Message 5527 in response to message 5526

Hi Bruce,

thank you very much for the smalll program. Compilation is Ok, with a little warning:memory.c:27:2: warning: no newline at end of file.
The results of running the programm are:
quote
-------
bash-2.05b$ ./memory
size = 4096 number = -1 bytes=-4096
bash-2.05b$
-------
unquote
The actual memory information given by my PC was
quote
-------
bash-2.05b$ cat /proc/meminfo
total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 262610944 205500416 57110528 0 26411008 101470208
Swap: 1924673536 0 1924673536
MemTotal: 256456 kB
MemFree: 55772 kB
MemShared: 0 kB
Buffers: 25792 kB
Cached: 99092 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 50996 kB
Inactive: 133516 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 256456 kB
LowFree: 55772 kB
SwapTotal: 1879564 kB
SwapFree: 1879564 kB
---------
unquote
And I am dealing with the box ID 48907.

It seems to me, that the reported memory by "memory.c" is not correct. Dont worry about the small actual MemFree value of 55772: I had some programs running like Skype, which I can kill while running tasks for the einstein project.
I could also send to you the files unistd.h and stdio.h, perhaps as e-mail, if you consider it adequate.
Thank you very much again,
Edgar

Seti-Cruncher
Seti-Cruncher
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 70
Credit: 7,114
RAC: 0

> thank you very much for the

Message 5528 in response to message 5527

> thank you very much for the smalll program. Compilation is Ok, with a little
> warning:memory.c:27:2: warning: no newline at end of file.

That's just due to the way you saved the file. When I tried it, there were actually a couple of extra newlines. ;)

> Dont worry about the small actual MemFree value of 55772:

One of the first things you need to learn about Linux is not to worry about free memory displayed. I'm sure Bruce knows that. ;)

Be lucky,

Neil

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.