Social Sciences meet Gravitational Wave science

Gary Roberts
Gary Roberts
Moderator
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 5,390
Credit: 51,854,503,147
RAC: 71,023,166

I'm sure Kath's got one

I'm sure Kath's got one salted away for sure. Lots of really big perks for good English teachers these days I hear :-).

Should be a real experience to sample Kath's Korean style cuisine :-).

When should we expect the tickets Kathryn?

Cheers,
Gary.

KSMarksPsych
KSMarksPsych
Moderator
Joined: 15 Oct 05
Posts: 2,702
Credit: 4,090,227
RAC: 0

RE: I'm sure Kath's got one

Message 82903 in response to message 82902

Quote:
I'm sure Kath's got one salted away for sure. Lots of really big perks for good English teachers these days I hear :-).

Yeah. Sure. Insanity is a great perk.

Quote:
Should be a real experience to sample Kath's Korean style cuisine :-).

Kathryn doesn't cook Korea. But I know a great little restaurant where you can get Korean food.

Quote:
When should we expect the tickets Kathryn?

I'll get back to you on that :-)

Kathryn :o)

Einstein@Home Moderator

Gary Roberts
Gary Roberts
Moderator
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 5,390
Credit: 51,854,503,147
RAC: 71,023,166

RE: Yeah. Sure. Insanity

Message 82904 in response to message 82903

Quote:
Yeah. Sure. Insanity is a great perk.

You did imply it was your conscious decision to sign up for another stint and that nobody was holding a gun at your head at the time :-).

Quote:
Kathryn doesn't cook Korea....

Hmmm .... On second thoughts that's probably just as well ... OK then, I'm sure we could all settle for something closer to home ... How about Cajun? Now that'd go over rather well with the lads! :-).

Quote:
I'll get back to you on that :-)

Don't call me, I'll call you, eh? -- just as soon as you've sold off your gold plated geek badge and topped up the slush fund ... Ok, sounds good to me!! :-).

Cheers,
Gary.

Thunder
Thunder
Joined: 18 Jan 05
Posts: 138
Credit: 46,754,541
RAC: 0

RE: Yeah. Sure. Insanity

Message 82905 in response to message 82903

Quote:
Yeah. Sure. Insanity is a great perk.

ROFL!! Chortle, snort, guffaw. :D If ever you needed proof that a 5 year old is a 5 year old, no matter what language or culture, there it is! ;)

Man... I volunteered with an ESL class (just as a 'crash test dummy' for them to practice their english on) at a nearby primary school when I was a peacekeeper in Kosovo, but that was with 10-12 year olds. I think they would have had to pay me WELL above the combat pay I was getting to do it with 5 year olds! :P

[edit]The one advantage I had over your situation was that at least I was able to carry a pistol on me at all times. Kids are so much better behaved when you're 'packing heat' in a shoulder holster! ;)[/edit]

[edit]I'm joking of course... I had a weapon, but never once even had it loaded or removed from the holster. It did make for some really odd pictures taken with the kids though. :)[/edit]

KSMarksPsych
KSMarksPsych
Moderator
Joined: 15 Oct 05
Posts: 2,702
Credit: 4,090,227
RAC: 0

RE: RE: Yeah. Sure.

Message 82906 in response to message 82905

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah. Sure. Insanity is a great perk.

ROFL!! Chortle, snort, guffaw. :D If ever you needed proof that a 5 year old is a 5 year old, no matter what language or culture, there it is! ;)

Man... I volunteered with an ESL class (just as a 'crash test dummy' for them to practice their english on) at a nearby primary school when I was a peacekeeper in Kosovo, but that was with 10-12 year olds. I think they would have had to pay me WELL above the combat pay I was getting to do it with 5 year olds! :P

[edit]The one advantage I had over your situation was that at least I was able to carry a pistol on me at all times. Kids are so much better behaved when you're 'packing heat' in a shoulder holster! ;)[/edit]

[edit]I'm joking of course... I had a weapon, but never once even had it loaded or removed from the holster. It did make for some really odd pictures taken with the kids though. :)[/edit]

LOL. And those are "5 year old" Koreans. They have this confusing age thing. Most are 4 but a few might be as young as 3 (I'm thinking of the one that clings to me every day -- she isn't in the video because she was wrapped around my legs).

Kathryn :o)

Einstein@Home Moderator

Bikeman (Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein)
Bikeman (Heinz-...
Moderator
Joined: 28 Aug 06
Posts: 3,516
Credit: 463,070,448
RAC: 33,750

BTW, I now got my copy of

BTW, I now got my copy of "Gravity's Shadow: The Search For Gravitational Waves" (see first message in thread). I didn't yet finish it, but have read enough to really recommend it. For most of the people reading this section, it will not really enlarge their physics knowledge about GWs, as it is a book about people : scientists, politicians and "the public" and how they all interact. It contains a very detailed account of the history of GW research from the early days of Joe Weber's experiments until ca. 2003 when LIGO became a reality. It's written in a very readable style and is based on extensive interviews the author carried out with the key players in the field over many years.

CU

Bikeman

tullio
tullio
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 2,053
Credit: 42,247,442
RAC: 11,529

I have published articles

I have published articles about GR, GW and Joe Weber's attempts in Mondadori's Yearbook of Science and Technology starting in 1969. The only reaction I got from the Italian physics community was a letter of reprieval from prof. Antonino Zichichi. I wonder whether those articles spurred an interest in general relativity in the same community, ending with the VIRGO interferometer in Cascina. But nobody ever recognized my efforts.
Tullio

Mike Hewson
Mike Hewson
Moderator
Joined: 1 Dec 05
Posts: 6,170
Credit: 130,042,501
RAC: 17,741

RE: I have published

Message 82909 in response to message 82908

Quote:
I have published articles about GR, GW and Joe Weber's attempts in Mondadori's Yearbook of Science and Technology starting in 1969. The only reaction I got from the Italian physics community was a letter of reprieval from prof. Antonino Zichichi. I wonder whether those articles spurred an interest in general relativity in the same community, ending with the VIRGO interferometer in Cascina. But nobody ever recognized my efforts.


We will! :-)

Standard science history really, this week's rooster is next week's feather duster and vice versa ...... even Newton admitted to 'standing on the shoulders of giants'.

Quote:
Though some twink has suggested that he was sarcastically referring to the ( short ) Dr. Hooke who, like many, claimed 'prior art' - but after the fact. The original 'publish or perish' fiasco.

Cheers, Mike.

I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal

Mike Hewson
Mike Hewson
Moderator
Joined: 1 Dec 05
Posts: 6,170
Credit: 130,042,501
RAC: 17,741

My copy of Shadow came

My copy of Shadow came through yesterday ( softcover AUD $31.30 ).

I also double dipped into the Amazon and bought Traveling At The Speed Of Thought ( subtitle Einstein and the Quest for Gravitational Waves ) by Daniel Kennefick ( hardback AUD $29.50 ) who collaborated with Prof Collins ( they acknowledge each other ). At a brief glance, it's considerably shorter at 319 vs. 870 pages, starts further back in history, focuses rather more on the theoretical argument about whether such waves actually exist, and naturally hovers more in the experimental generalities. They both touch on the sociological aspects.

[ When time permits I'll report back with more .... ]

Cheers, Mike.

I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal

Bikeman (Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein)
Bikeman (Heinz-...
Moderator
Joined: 28 Aug 06
Posts: 3,516
Credit: 463,070,448
RAC: 33,750

Thanks for the reference, I

Thanks for the reference, I looked at the table of contents at [some major online bookshop] and ordered it. Sounds really interesting.

CU
Bikeman

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.