Schedulers online status for websites

Bruno G. Olsen & ESEA @ greenholt
Bruno G. Olsen ...
Joined: 20 Dec 04
Posts: 115
Credit: 7,668,259
RAC: 0

Version 0.8 I've begun the

Version 0.8

I've begun the multi language capabilities, but it's on an experimental stage still. The languages that have been gracefully contributed has been added, but some characters are not shown proberly as well as long string currently do not make the image wider (that'll come).

But, something that really works is uptime percentages. Yup, I've added the ability to display uptime percentage in addition to scheduler online status, and if you want, you can choose ONLY to display the uptime percentages.

In addition I've added some pages to the URL generator site - so take a look, and try it out ;)

Paul D. Buck
Paul D. Buck
Joined: 17 Jan 05
Posts: 754
Credit: 5,385,205
RAC: 0

Bruno, I am going to add

Bruno,

I am going to add it to my site, though, judging by traffic, there is not going to be that many looking there! :)

However, some minor criticisms ...

1) The test on your site does not have the example show the Down/Unreachable status if all the sites are up ... so there is no way to be sure that the colors will "work" ... for example, I want it to "blend in" to my site's color scheme and this is hard to test currently.

2) The color lists say "standard" without a clear indication of what the colors are, so, it is hard to know what you might be changing them from/to ...

3) Your tagline at the bottom has a light color, and when I changed to something I thought would work (still don't know about the down status :)), your line basically disappears ... I might suggest that could use a color ...

4) With an array of colors my code line is, ahem, ugly ... I know this is early days, but, it might be nice to "breakup" or shorten the line of "stuff", as I am not even sure that I am done "adding" to it ...

Example:
boincschedulers.php?backcolor=burlywood&projectcolor=black&onlinecolor=green&addpercent=yes

could be:

sched.php?bck=burlywood&prj=black&on=green&percent=y

with no loss of meaning ... And for those of us that "code" our HTML pages using a text editor, the internal "look" of our code is almost as important as the external "look" ... and this would help.

Anyway, just some thoughts and suggestions ...

Bruno G. Olsen & ESEA @ greenholt
Bruno G. Olsen ...
Joined: 20 Dec 04
Posts: 115
Credit: 7,668,259
RAC: 0

> I am going to add it to my

Message 9110 in response to message 9109

> I am going to add it to my site, though, judging by traffic, there is not
> going to be that many looking there! :)

That'll come, I'm sure of it ;)

> However, some minor criticisms ...

Bring it on :)

> 1) The test on your site does not have the example show the Down/Unreachable
> status if all the sites are up ... so there is no way to be sure that the
> colors will "work" ... for example, I want it to "blend in" to my site's color
> scheme and this is hard to test currently.

I know ;) I was thinking that my self when I did the last update - I'll add "simulated" images to that page so you can see the live version as well as all online, all down and all unreachable - it's deffinately not easy to create a colorscheme if you can't see it ;)

> 2) The color lists say "standard" without a clear indication of what the
> colors are, so, it is hard to know what you might be changing them from/to
> ...

Ahh yes. Good thinking. I'll change that :)

> 3) Your tagline at the bottom has a light color, and when I changed to
> something I thought would work (still don't know about the down status :)),
> your line basically disappears ... I might suggest that could use a color ...

Not a thing that hasen't been on my mind. I have been considering if it should have a user changable color or if it should change automatically based on background color. Originally it wasn't supposed to be dominant, but dimmed a bit, but changing background colors can dim it all out to invisibility or make it too dominant - but that could happen even when users choose the color themselves. I'll propably make it changable by the user, but I haven't made up my mind on that yet.

> 4) With an array of colors my code line is, ahem, ugly ... I know this is
> early days, but, it might be nice to "breakup" or shorten the line of "stuff",
> as I am not even sure that I am done "adding" to it ...

Hmm. Good point actually. Now as there's a URL generator it's much less needed with very descriptive parameter names.

> Anyway, just some thoughts and suggestions ...

Thank you for sharing them :)

Paul D. Buck
Paul D. Buck
Joined: 17 Jan 05
Posts: 754
Credit: 5,385,205
RAC: 0

You can look and see what

You can look and see what choices I made and what it looks like now ...

I updated the intro page ... now you can see what I did *TO* you :)

I should not complain ... I made my site for me ... and those with an insatiable desire to read ... :)

Mike
Mike
Joined: 20 Feb 05
Posts: 109
Credit: 944,815
RAC: 0

Hi Looks great Paul, very

Hi

Looks great Paul, very good idea.

greetz from Germany
Mike

Bruno G. Olsen & ESEA @ greenholt
Bruno G. Olsen ...
Joined: 20 Dec 04
Posts: 115
Credit: 7,668,259
RAC: 0

> You can look and see what

Message 9113 in response to message 9111

> You can look and see what choices I made and what it looks like now ...
>
> I updated the intro page ... now you can see what I did *TO* you :)

Ohh my it looks good :)

> I should not complain ... I made my site for me ... and those with an
> insatiable desire to read ... :)

It IS very very informative and a learning experience - I'm actually quite surpriced that not more people are reading it

Paul D. Buck
Paul D. Buck
Joined: 17 Jan 05
Posts: 754
Credit: 5,385,205
RAC: 0

> Ohh my it looks good

Message 9114 in response to message 9113

> Ohh my it looks good :)

Yes, I think it turned out nice, and it fits in well ... Thank You ...

> It IS very very informative and a learning experience - I'm actually quite
> surpriced that not more people are reading it

Maybe they don't like my sense of humor ... :)

Well, most of the sites have a pointer to it ... but, as good as I can make it, it still requires effort to go find the answers. And truth be told, many BOINCers just don't know it exists ...

Bruno G. Olsen & ESEA @ greenholt
Bruno G. Olsen ...
Joined: 20 Dec 04
Posts: 115
Credit: 7,668,259
RAC: 0

Version 0.85 Added the

Version 0.85
Added the ability to have uptime percentages appended directly to the online
status, so now you can choose between nice coloumns, only a space between status
and percentage, and only percentage.
Added simulated images to the URL generator, so now you can see the colors
of all states, and don't have to wait until a projects goes down or gets unreachable.
There's even a simulated image for the odd occurance that none of the projects
are online ;)
Color names for standard colors have been added to the URL generator. One of
them is not found on O'Reilly's list though. The bosgolden color is one I created
for this image. The other standard text colors weren't on O'Reilly's list either,
so I changed them accordingly for best match.
Added the ability to change the tagline color. This way you can choose a color
for it that doesn't clash with the background color.
Change the URLs generated by the URL generator and added them to the image
script. The URLs will now get shorter. The old URLs you may already use will
still work.
Fixed a stupid bug that made the online status for climateprediction disappear
when not online, and especially if it's down. I didn't know the bug was there
until I saw the simulated images, so they've been a great help for me too ;)
I wanted to do alot more from the Coming up list, but I have to get up early
in the morning.
Well, go to the URL
generator site
for the latest updates ;)

Bruno G. Olsen & ESEA @ greenholt
Bruno G. Olsen ...
Joined: 20 Dec 04
Posts: 115
Credit: 7,668,259
RAC: 0

> > Ohh my it looks good :) >

Message 9116 in response to message 9114

> > Ohh my it looks good :)
>
> Yes, I think it turned out nice, and it fits in well ... Thank You ...

Must admit - I'm a bit stunned about how good it looks... Ok, I'm not really what you would call great at creating color schemes, but still, to think that my little image could look like this - and like others have made them - to me that's astunishing.

> > It IS very very informative and a learning experience - I'm actually
> quite
> > surpriced that not more people are reading it
>
> Maybe they don't like my sense of humor ... :)

*lol* I think we've found the right nail to hit :D

> Well, most of the sites have a pointer to it ... but, as good as I can make
> it, it still requires effort to go find the answers.

I'm not surprised. And it requires alot of efford to put all that comprehensive information online - add to that to make it easy to find the right information for the readers, and make it comprehendable to them as well. There're alot of users outthere where we can't asume they understand, or get the answers they want, with brief technical summaries - and then there're the ones who don't need much more. That's a pretty hard balancing act to do. Which reminds me, I mustn't let the work with BOS make me neglect the development of my team web site...

> And truth be told, many
> BOINCers just don't know it exists ...

And that's a real shame. I really do hope, for several reasons, that this will change in time.

Bruno G. Olsen & ESEA @ greenholt
Bruno G. Olsen ...
Joined: 20 Dec 04
Posts: 115
Credit: 7,668,259
RAC: 0

Version 0.93: Added

Version 0.93:

Added background transparency. As the image is .png this might not work in all -internet Explorer versions.

Fixed a bug that made the image display the uptime percentage of Pirates@home as the uptime percentage for BURP in some cases.

Added links page to URL generator site.

Added background image to URL generator so that you can see how transparency works.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.