Master-URL changed to use HTTPS

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 11,955
Credit: 1,833,244,218
RAC: 224,186

Aurum wrote: Oliver Behnke

Aurum wrote:

Oliver Behnke wrote:

Hi everyone,

We changed our project's so-called "master-URL" to HTTPS (instead of HTTP) to further secure BOINC's initial communication with our project.

Cheers,
Oliver

Yes, but you forget to update the "Add a Project" list so the "s" has to added each time. 

You can also just delete the http:\\ part altogether and Boinc will look for which one it finds, Boinc is also funky sometimes as using the http:\\ when manually loading up wuprop it won't find the project at all but if you leave it off it will let you attach to it just fine. Wuprop is an NCI project that runs in the background and collects the amount of hours you run for each project and then keeps track of it for you awarding you stars for reaching certain milestones.

Aurum
Aurum
Joined: 12 Jul 17
Posts: 77
Credit: 3,408,754,268
RAC: 16,392

Keith Myers wrote: Aurum

Keith Myers wrote:

Aurum wrote:

Oliver Behnke wrote:

Hi everyone,

We changed our project's so-called "master-URL" to HTTPS (instead of HTTP) to further secure BOINC's initial communication with our project.

Cheers,
Oliver

Yes, but you forget to update the "Add a Project" list so the "s" has to added each time.

Einstein project has nothing to do with that.  That is part of the BOINC client.  The BOINC devs have to fix that with a new all_projects_list.xml file.

Did anybody from E@h bother to tell them?

Keith Myers
Keith Myers
Joined: 11 Feb 11
Posts: 4,753
Credit: 17,692,067,005
RAC: 5,672,707

Why don't you open a issue at

Why don't you open a issue at Github about the problem.

The all_projects_list.xml file is pulled from the BOINC servers every 14 days.

But the file itself has to be manually updated by David Anderson.

Many attempts to fix this automatically have been made.  Richard Haselgrove got started on it back in 2020.

But other account managers like Science United, BAM and Gridpool complained and stopped the process.

 

Eugene Stemple
Eugene Stemple
Joined: 9 Feb 11
Posts: 58
Credit: 271,104,563
RAC: 330,817

I followed the recipe from

I followed the recipe from Gary R msg#201273 with full success.  Just as an "off script" experiment I kept one task in "suspended" mode while otherwise running out the cache.  Stopped Boinc; edited the files; restarted Boinc; and then "resumed" the suspended task.  It ran normally and has validated with an Intel core i7.  I was not brave enough to try the edits with tasks running.  (boinc 7.14.2)  I did observe one harmless side effect, or maybe unrelated... the "Statistics" panel was empty with a default time axis centered on January 1, 1970.  (Isn't that the Unix T-zero counter?)  It has resumed building normal statistics but only starting with the date of the file edits.  No more notices, or event log messages, regarding URL update.

 

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 11,955
Credit: 1,833,244,218
RAC: 224,186

Eugene Stemple wrote: I

Eugene Stemple wrote:

I followed the recipe from Gary R msg#201273 with full success.  Just as an "off script" experiment I kept one task in "suspended" mode while otherwise running out the cache.  Stopped Boinc; edited the files; restarted Boinc; and then "resumed" the suspended task.  It ran normally and has validated with an Intel core i7.  I was not brave enough to try the edits with tasks running.  (boinc 7.14.2)  I did observe one harmless side effect, or maybe unrelated... the "Statistics" panel was empty with a default time axis centered on January 1, 1970.  (Isn't that the Unix T-zero counter?)  It has resumed building normal statistics but only starting with the date of the file edits.  No more notices, or event log messages, regarding URL update.

Thank you for doing this!! I have a couple of installations that won't update thru their OS and have some very long running tasks from other Projects I don't want to abort so I will try this too.

Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Joined: 2 Jan 10
Posts: 153
Credit: 2,140,382,785
RAC: 213,911

Eugene Stemple написал: I

Eugene Stemple wrote:

I followed the recipe from Gary R msg#201273 with full success.  Just as an "off script" experiment I kept one task in "suspended" mode while otherwise running out the cache.  Stopped Boinc; edited the files; restarted Boinc; and then "resumed" the suspended task.  It ran normally and has validated with an Intel core i7.  I was not brave enough to try the edits with tasks running.  (boinc 7.14.2)  I did observe one harmless side effect, or maybe unrelated... the "Statistics" panel was empty with a default time axis centered on January 1, 1970.  (Isn't that the Unix T-zero counter?)  It has resumed building normal statistics but only starting with the date of the file edits.  No more notices, or event log messages, regarding URL update.

 

It is directly related.

"Problem" is due to statistics file also contains master url in it. So If you want to save project statistics when manually updating the master url, you need to similarly edit (replace http with https) master url in the statistics file too. In the case of E@H, this file is named "statistics_einstein.phys.uwm.edu.xml"  If you skip it - BOINC client will start collecting project stats from scratch after first contact to server.

So full list of files include:

client_state.xml

account_einstein.phys.uwm.edu.xml

statistics_einstein.phys.uwm.edu.xml

P.S.

January 1, 1970 is a Unix Time-zero point indeed. Zero/null value in time field converts to January 1, 1970. Just another side effect of stats file loss due to different master url if you do not modify it at the same time with other files.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.