Generic Multiple GPU discusssion

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 3,348
Credit: 30,468,871,362
RAC: 32,343,326

you have two drives with two

you have two drives with two installs of ubuntu just for different versions of BOINC? why?

 

put the AIO on your drive with the ubuntu and driver install that works, and try again. at the very least, make sure both drives have the same driver installed as it appears they don't and this might be your issue.

 

this is what I mean by making sure the ONLY variable is different BOINC. you've introduced 2 more variables (different ubuntu install, different driver install) and not just the AIO vs repo install.

_________________________________________________________________________

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 4,773
Credit: 7,224,864,123
RAC: 6,977,455

Ian&Steve C. wrote: you have

Ian&Steve C. wrote:

you have two drives with two installs of ubuntu just for different versions of BOINC? why?

Things get broken frequently.

I remember long conversations at S@H over trying to run the Repository Boinc Manager on the same OS as the AIO.  It was a major headache that usually resolved to an OS re-install.

If one experimental condition is running on a separate drive it can't screw up another.

Used the exact same Ubuntu install with the exact same Amd driver file.

May have time tomorrow to resume testing on the same MB/cpu/ram.

Tom M

A Proud member of the O.F.A.  (Old Farts Association).  Ouch!

Keith Myers
Keith Myers
Joined: 11 Feb 11
Posts: 4,404
Credit: 16,177,279,793
RAC: 16,156,760

You keep say "BOINC Manager"

You keep say "BOINC Manager" when I assume you are confused as to the terminology.

The Manager is the GUI interface to the CLIENT.  The client is BOINC, not the Manager.

So I assume you are always referring to the Boinc Client installation being the repo versions or the AIO version.

Both the repo client and AIO client can peacefully coexist on the same OS installation as they are completely separate installations.

The AIO is a fully self contained installation of ALL the BOINC files in a single folder in the /home folder. Hence the All-in-One naming obviously.

The repo installation is a installation scattered around the system file directories  and is completely divorced from any user  files.

Neither installation has access to the others location unless you start playing around as superuser.

You can quite happily interact with the client with ANY version of the Manager as long as the Manager's dependencies are satisfied.

We were quite often using the 7.14.2 Manager to control the 7.17 client at Seti because of changes in menus or dependencies the newer branches inflicted on the Manager code.

 

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 4,773
Credit: 7,224,864,123
RAC: 6,977,455

You didn't take into account

You didn't take into account the fact the repository version cannot be stopped or started from the gui.

This means that I have learn/experiment with stopping the repository version using the command line. If the startup script is using a dameon then it may not be possible to stop the repository version on a temporary basis.

Sounds like we aren't going to agree on methodology here so I am going to return to my baseline proposition.

Linux doesn't like me.

Tom M

 

A Proud member of the O.F.A.  (Old Farts Association).  Ouch!

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 3,348
Credit: 30,468,871,362
RAC: 32,343,326

is there a command you can

is there a command you can run to output the driver version installed? can you run that on both drives?

 

you claim that the same driver is installed on both, but BOINC is detecting a different driver...

_________________________________________________________________________

Keith Myers
Keith Myers
Joined: 11 Feb 11
Posts: 4,404
Credit: 16,177,279,793
RAC: 16,156,760

Sysop_1968 wrote: You didn't

Sysop_1968 wrote:

You didn't take into account the fact the repository version cannot be stopped or started from the gui.

That is not my experience with running the repo version of the client and Manager on my RPi.

I stop the client and Manager all the time via the Manager GUI from the default installation location.

I also actually run the repo version of the client and Manager on the Nano though I painstakingly moved the BOINC installation to /home by removing all the ownership permissions and symbolic links of the repo version because it was becoming a real headache not being able to edit files at will for BOINC projects.

The only reason I don't run the AIO or team client of course is both hosts are ARM based and the AIO and team clients are x64 based and nobody has compiled the code for that platform.

 

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 4,773
Credit: 7,224,864,123
RAC: 6,977,455

Top performing system is past

Top performing system is past 10 million on the "richter" scale. I wonder if the ground is trembling yet?

A Proud member of the O.F.A.  (Old Farts Association).  Ouch!

cecht
cecht
Joined: 7 Mar 18
Posts: 1,274
Credit: 2,211,275,879
RAC: 1,127,151

Keith Myers wrote: I also

Keith Myers wrote:

I also actually run the repo version of the client and Manager on the Nano though I painstakingly moved the BOINC installation to /home by removing all the ownership permissions and symbolic links of the repo version because it was becoming a real headache not being able to edit files at will for BOINC projects.

I had luck with at-will editing of BOINC files by making myself a BOINC group member (on Linux):

~$ sudo usermod -a -G youtheuser boinc

Check with:
~$ groups boinc
boinc : boinc video render youtheuser

Requires a system restart for it to take effect though.

Ideas are not fixed, nor should they be; we live in model-dependent reality.

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 4,773
Credit: 7,224,864,123
RAC: 6,977,455

Keith Myers

Keith Myers wrote:

Sysop_1968 wrote:

You didn't take into account the fact the repository version cannot be stopped or started from the gui.

That is not my experience with running the repo version of the client and Manager on my RPi.

Keith,

Whatever you do, if you want to experiment with the Ubuntu Repository version of Boinc Manager, set up a separate HD with a fresh copy of Ubuntu on it.  I am confident it would screw up your production X86 setup horribly.

You could then verify if you get the "same" Gui experience I did.

 

Tom M

A Proud member of the O.F.A.  (Old Farts Association).  Ouch!

Keith Myers
Keith Myers
Joined: 11 Feb 11
Posts: 4,404
Credit: 16,177,279,793
RAC: 16,156,760

Well as I said I am running

Well as I said I am running the repo version of BOINC on the RPi which gets me BOINC 7.9.3.  Default installation into the default locations.

Stop and start at will.

And on any client and Manager, you can always NOT check the "Run Client" tickbox in "Other Options" in the Manager and the client will not autostart.

So no issues editing files if the client isn't even running.

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.