All things Nvidia GPU

GWGeorge007
GWGeorge007
Joined: 8 Jan 18
Posts: 2,851
Credit: 4,723,095,172
RAC: 3,286,360

Stephen "Heretic wrote:  . .

Stephen "Heretic wrote:

 . . I need a better cooling solution for these 1060's, even though it is still winter here with the fans at over 80% these puppies are well over 60 deg C.  :(

.....[SNIP].....

I agree with Ian that you have nothing to worry about with your 1060 GPUs running at "well over 60 deg C".  Again, they can run effectively at close to 80॰ C without any consequences.

I have a 2060 and two 2070S running at upwards of 75॰ - 78॰ C and they have no problems.

If you're still concerned about the temps, I think the only way you're going to keep temps lower than 60॰ C while running Einstein 24/7/365 is to go to water cooling.  That may be a might expensive in your case.

Just my 2ȼ worth.

George

Proud member of the Old Farts Association

Richie
Richie
Joined: 7 Mar 14
Posts: 656
Credit: 1,702,989,778
RAC: 0

There's a new dev driver

There's a new dev driver v510.06 (DCH) for Windows 10 / 11 :

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/510-06-cuda-beta-driver.439450/

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda/wsl/download

I tested with GTX 960. Both O3AS and FGRPB1G (v1.22) run fine. Maybe this driver works also with RTX cards.

Stephen "Heretic"
Stephen "Heretic"
Joined: 5 Feb 17
Posts: 94
Credit: 645,067,679
RAC: 0

 . . I need a better cooling

 . . I need a better cooling solution for these 1060's, even though it is still winter here with the fans at over 80% these puppies are well over 60 deg C.  :(

. . I was hoping to be able to run them until sometime in October before having to shut them down, but I think I will be lucky to keep then running below incineration level for more than a few weeks.  <sigh>

Stephen

 

Stephen "Heretic"
Stephen "Heretic"
Joined: 5 Feb 17
Posts: 94
Credit: 645,067,679
RAC: 0

 . . The weather is warming

 . . The weather is warming rapidly here ... 3 days in and the fans are up to 100% to maintain 60 deg C. Oh well. It is nice to see them performing so well even if only for a short stint.  But next winter ... look out :)

Stephen

 

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 3,751
Credit: 35,762,482,757
RAC: 39,640,217

I wouldn’t stress it. My

I wouldn’t stress it. My cards run 70-80C normally. 60C and up to 80C even is totally safe. 

_________________________________________________________________________

Stephen "Heretic"
Stephen "Heretic"
Joined: 5 Feb 17
Posts: 94
Credit: 645,067,679
RAC: 0

GWGeorge007 wrote:I agree

GWGeorge007 wrote:

I agree with Ian that you have nothing to worry about with your 1060 GPUs running at "well over 60 deg C".  Again, they can run effectively at close to 80॰ C without any consequences.

I have a 2060 and two 2070S running at upwards of 75॰ - 78॰ C and they have no problems.

If you're still concerned about the temps, I think the only way you're going to keep temps lower than 60॰ C while running Einstein 24/7/365 is to go to water cooling.  That may be a might expensive in your case.

Just my 2ȼ worth.

 . . I have considered the AIO solutions like others use but I have this phobia about mixing water and electronics. Nothing remains leakproof forever ...  :( [I don't think I would sleep too well]

 . . I would like to get nitrogen coolers but that would be wwaaaayyy too expensive.

 . . The default "slowdown" temp in the nvidia settings app is 91 C but I hate to think how long they would last at such temps. It gets rather hot here and I have found that at a certain point temps can take off exponentially. Trying to cool hot electronics with hot air does not work well :( The room can hit the mid 40s all too quickly in summer ...

 . . I appreciate the re-assurance  but last spring I had 2 machines crash with the heat before I gave up and shut everything down.  It isn't possible to know when things are too hot until something goes pop, so I prefer to err on the cautious side. When temps get into the high 60s I believe it's time to take action. PCs and GPUs cost too much to have them pop their clogs.

 . . Sorry for being such a worry wort.

Stephen

 

Stephen "Heretic"
Stephen "Heretic"
Joined: 5 Feb 17
Posts: 94
Credit: 645,067,679
RAC: 0

 . .  . . Hi people,  .

 . .

 . . Hi people,

 . . Especially Keith who has been a guru for me ... What 900 series cards did you test the new App on?

 . . I have swapped the 1050ti back to the original 950 and the results are even MORE impressive.  While the 1050ti had a very satisfying speed improvement of 66% the 950 is seeing an exhilarating 71% increase.  My only regret is that when the 1.28 tasks run out it will only get the old 1.20 tasks.  I wish there was a system option to elect to run the new app on the "older" card. It is wonderful.

 

Stephen

 

??

 

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 5,768
Credit: 7,827,063,416
RAC: 3,498,619

Stephen "Heretic wrote:  .

Stephen "Heretic wrote:

 . .

 . . Hi people,

 . . Especially Keith who has been a guru for me ... What 900 series cards did you test the new App on?

 . . I have swapped the 1050ti back to the original 950 and the results are even MORE impressive.  While the 1050ti had a very satisfying speed improvement of 66% the 950 is seeing an exhilarating 71% increase.  My only regret is that when the 1.28 tasks run out it will only get the old 1.20 tasks.  I wish there was a system option to elect to run the new app on the "older" card. It is wonderful.

 

Stephen

 

??

If BOINC shows up listing OCL3 in the log for the 950 you should continue to get 1.28 tasks.

 

Tom M

A Proud member of the O.F.A.  (Old Farts Association).  Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.® (Garrison Keillor)

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 3,751
Credit: 35,762,482,757
RAC: 39,640,217

Tom M wrote: Stephen

Tom M wrote:

Stephen "Heretic wrote:

 . .

 . . Hi people,

 . . Especially Keith who has been a guru for me ... What 900 series cards did you test the new App on?

 . . I have swapped the 1050ti back to the original 950 and the results are even MORE impressive.  While the 1050ti had a very satisfying speed improvement of 66% the 950 is seeing an exhilarating 71% increase.  My only regret is that when the 1.28 tasks run out it will only get the old 1.20 tasks.  I wish there was a system option to elect to run the new app on the "older" card. It is wonderful.

 

Stephen

 

??

If BOINC shows up listing OCL3 in the log for the 950 you should continue to get 1.28 tasks.

 

Tom M

the project actually only delivers the app to Pascal and newer with OCL2+. His 950 is Maxwell and excluded.

 

but when Keith tested with his 970, he saw almost no change in speed. it's possible some maxwell cards would see a benefit while others wont.

_________________________________________________________________________

Stephen "Heretic"
Stephen "Heretic"
Joined: 5 Feb 17
Posts: 94
Credit: 645,067,679
RAC: 0

 . .  . . OK though it

 . .

 . . OK though it seems I have killed the conversations here I have a question for Ian or Keith, or anyone who can help.  Is there a way to lie to the system and spoof the GPU type? I would like to tell the world that this GTX950 is actually a GTX1050.

 . . Anyone??

 

Stephen

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.