64-bit or not?

ML1
ML1
Joined: 20 Feb 05
Posts: 340
Credit: 78,688,000
RAC: 33,290

Been getting this for a

Been getting this for a while:

[Einstein@Home] Message from server: platform 'x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' not found


Mmmm... 64-bit not wanted...

Great stuff for getting e@h onto nVidia GPUs:

NVIDIA CUDA Technology Dramatically Advances The Pace Of Scientific Research

Can there be a 64-bit spin of the compilation also please? (The mere +5% performance boost is worth it!)

Happy crunchin',
Martin

See new freedom: Mageia Linux
Take a look for yourself: Linux Format
The Future is what We all make IT (GPLv3)

jedirock
jedirock
Joined: 11 Jun 06
Posts: 23
Credit: 1,517,411
RAC: 0

RE: Been getting this for a

Message 87942 in response to message 87941

Quote:

Been getting this for a while:

[Einstein@Home] Message from server: platform 'x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' not found

Mmmm... 64-bit not wanted...

Great stuff for getting e@h onto nVidia GPUs:

NVIDIA CUDA Technology Dramatically Advances The Pace Of Scientific Research

Can there be a 64-bit spin of the compilation also please? (The mere +5% performance boost is worth it!)

Happy crunchin',
Martin


Not to say we don't need 64-bit, but your machine should pick up the i686 app automatically if it can't find the platform it's looking for. What version do you have?

jeffusa
jeffusa
Joined: 2 Jun 05
Posts: 22
Credit: 3,386,132
RAC: 44

I can tell you that switching

I can tell you that switching to 64-bit is not worth the effort unless you have an application that requires it or you have a memory intensive application that you know will need more than 2 GB of RAM. Otherwise, it is probably not worth the effort.

Just my two cents as a full time network and systems administrator.

Zxian
Zxian
Joined: 23 Oct 06
Posts: 40
Credit: 5,121,474
RAC: 0

RE: I can tell you that

Message 87944 in response to message 87943

Quote:

I can tell you that switching to 64-bit is not worth the effort unless you have an application that requires it or you have a memory intensive application that you know will need more than 2 GB of RAM. Otherwise, it is probably not worth the effort.

Just my two cents as a full time network and systems administrator.

Just wondering what the "effort" that you're talking about is. I reinstalled my workstation this morning (from XP 32-bit to Vista 64-bit) and I haven't run into any driver or application compatibilities yet.

There are two main reasons to run 64-bit. First of all, the single application "ceiling" of 2GB still remains for 32-bit programs running in a 64-bit OS, but the total address space (memory+hardware) that can be accessed can be greater than 4GB. Secondly, the hardware is simply faster. There are double the number of registers available in 64-bit hardware, and not using them is just silly IMO.

Moving from Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit is even less "troublesome", since it's all the same OS. There are very few software incompatibilities that most people would run into these days.

Mary
Mary
Joined: 2 Jun 08
Posts: 76
Credit: 634,013
RAC: 0

Adding to what Zxian said, if

Message 87945 in response to message 87944

Adding to what Zxian said, if you run multiple projects it may actually be in your best interest to switch to the 64bit OS. For example, primegrid's sieve tasks get a significant speed boost and it has certain tasks that only 64bit machines can receive. The only project where it causes any problems to have a 64bit is STZAKI, since they haven't updated the project to recognize that 64bit machines exist (but that doesn't really matter since they've hit another 'faulty WU phase').

~It only takes one bottle cap moving at 23,000 mph to ruin your whole day~

Jan Mussche
Jan Mussche
Joined: 15 Feb 09
Posts: 10
Credit: 114,675
RAC: 0

RE: RE: Hey! Even with

Message 87946 in response to message 87915

Quote:
Quote:

Hey!

Even with 64-bit processors, most new computers come with the 32-bit version of Windows pre-installed. Most likely, you're running the 32-bit version.

I'm not sure why that is, unless Microsoft is still having compatibility problems with the 64-bit versions.

Could it have something to do with money? Microsoft makes the 64-bit systems and wants to sell them for a lot of cash. If they lower the prize of that system then they earn less money. And we are talking about M$.
Now it's a 32-bit with every computer (standard) and if you want to have more you pay (again) for the 64-bit. Marketing? What else?

Just make the step to a decent Linux distro and when you buy a new computer buy it without the OS. Download it yourself, install it and use it without any cost AND completely legal. saves you a lot of money you can use for extra hardware.

______
DeMus

rroonnaalldd
rroonnaalldd
Joined: 12 Dec 05
Posts: 116
Credit: 537,221
RAC: 0

RE: Could it have something

Quote:
Could it have something to do with money? Microsoft makes the 64-bit systems and wants to sell them for a lot of cash. If they lower the prize of that system then they earn less money. And we are talking about M$.
Now it's a 32-bit with every computer (standard) and if you want to have more you pay (again) for the 64-bit. Marketing? What else?

If you buy a full-version from Vista and nothing like SB, Retail or OEM you should have both versions in the box and get full support from MS. Okay the prize is high.
But you can save money if you buy two SB-packages with 32bit- and 64bit-version. Normally you don't need support from MS because mostly if not all problems are solved anywhere in the WWW.

Jan Mussche
Jan Mussche
Joined: 15 Feb 09
Posts: 10
Credit: 114,675
RAC: 0

RE: RE: If you buy a

Message 87948 in response to message 87947

Quote:
Quote:
If you buy a full-version from Vista and nothing like SB, Retail or OEM you should have both versions in the box and get full support from MS. Okay the prize is high.
But you can save money if you buy two SB-packages with 32bit- and 64bit-version. Normally you don't need support from MS because mostly if not all problems are solved anywhere in the WWW.

You mean to tell me you can buy a box with two OS'ses? I have never heard of this. Are you allowed to use them on different computers, or should they be installed on the same hardware? You can use only one at a time when on the same hardware, so why pay for two?

I'm a big Linux fan, it doesn't cost me anything, I get help from others while I also help others when I can, the computer runs very stable, no viruses, no attacks, no bsod's, just fun. The computer does what it is supposed to do.

______
DeMus

Starfire
Starfire
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 5
Credit: 462,281
RAC: 0

RE: Are you allowed to use

Message 87949 in response to message 87948

Quote:
Are you allowed to use them on different computers, or should they be installed on the same hardware?

The retail version contains two DVDs - one with the 32-bit version and the other is 64-bit. You'll however only get one license key - so you're only allowed to use one of them at the same time.

Starfire

Paul D. Buck
Paul D. Buck
Joined: 17 Jan 05
Posts: 754
Credit: 5,385,205
RAC: 0

RE: RE: RE: If you buy

Message 87950 in response to message 87948

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you buy a full-version from Vista and nothing like SB, Retail or OEM you should have both versions in the box and get full support from MS. Okay the prize is high.
But you can save money if you buy two SB-packages with 32bit- and 64bit-version. Normally you don't need support from MS because mostly if not all problems are solved anywhere in the WWW.

You mean to tell me you can buy a box with two OS'ses? I have never heard of this. Are you allowed to use them on different computers, or should they be installed on the same hardware? You can use only one at a time when on the same hardware, so why pay for two?

I'm a big Linux fan, it doesn't cost me anything, I get help from others while I also help others when I can, the computer runs very stable, no viruses, no attacks, no bsod's, just fun. The computer does what it is supposed to do.

If you buy the right MS kit you can get more than that. I was in their program for awhile because you got keys for lots of things ... at THAT time you got 10 keys for all the OS versions extant so for me it was worth it at the time. Later they started upping the prices and making the keys harder to get and use so I dropped it ...

I would go more linux, but, sad to say most projects still target Windows so to have the full range you still need to feed the MS monster if you want to have the broadest capabillity on BOINC ...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.