All things Nvidia GPU

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 3,799
Credit: 37,395,858,498
RAC: 50,525,694

Tom M wrote:Keith Myers

Tom M wrote:

Keith Myers wrote:

Have you rebooted since using the coolbits command?

Have you checked in NVIDIA X Server Settings panel that those changes have in affect occurred?

Is your memory clock shown for Level 3 19500Mhz?

Rebooted.

Server Panel is exposing the ability to offset -/+

With a memory offset of 3200+ the Panel is claiming: 21702

I got below 2 minutes but I had gpu speed 100+ when it crashed.

Trying 3200+ with no gpu speed off set.

Tom M

3200 seems wayyyy too high, what is the rationale for this number? or was it an arbitrary choice? you only get a 500MHz penaly for P2 compute mode. for comparison I run mine at +1000 getting the memory rate to 19500.

with a memory OC this high, I can only imagine that the memory is generating all kinds of errors and the EDR (GDDR6X has EDR built in, similar to ECC but not exactly the same) is working overtime to resend failed data transfers. at a point, more OC will just stop giving you more performance and it will plateau as more and more errors are detected and resent. have you shown that +3200 is any faster than +1500 for example?

_________________________________________________________________________

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 5,962
Credit: 8,045,542,397
RAC: 5,723,380

Ian&Steve C. wrote:3200

Ian&Steve C. wrote:

3200 seems wayyyy too high, what is the rationale for this number? or was it an arbitrary choice? you only get a 500MHz penaly for P2 compute mode. for comparison I run mine at +1000 getting the memory rate to 19500.

I believe it was a mental error. I have just dropped it to +1000 with a +100 on the gpu speed.  I am hoping the task processing time stays below two minutes.

Your rtx 3080 ti is running 110 seconds, mine is running 118 - 124 seconds.

Besides running the memory faster what else are you doing that speeds it up that high?

Tom M

A Proud member of the O.F.A.  (Old Farts Association).  Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.® (Garrison Keillor)

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 3,799
Credit: 37,395,858,498
RAC: 50,525,694

Tom M wrote:Ian&Steve C.

Tom M wrote:

Ian&Steve C. wrote:

3200 seems wayyyy too high, what is the rationale for this number? or was it an arbitrary choice? you only get a 500MHz penaly for P2 compute mode. for comparison I run mine at +1000 getting the memory rate to 19500.

I believe it was a mental error. I have just dropped it to +1000 with a +100 on the gpu speed.  I am hoping the task processing time stays below two minutes.

Your rtx 3080 ti is running 110 seconds, mine is running 118 - 124 seconds.

Besides running the memory faster what else are you doing that speeds it up that high?

Tom M

 

I'm running it watercooled (cooler temps get you higher core clocks, observed clocks ~1750-1815 MHz), clocked +100core/+1000mem capped at 300W power limit. as well as with Petri's latest libsleep v3.1

_________________________________________________________________________

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 5,962
Credit: 8,045,542,397
RAC: 5,723,380

Ian&Steve C. wrote:   I'm

Ian&Steve C. wrote:

 

I'm running it watercooled (cooler temps get you higher core clocks, observed clocks ~1750-1815 MHz), clocked +100core/+1000mem capped at 300W power limit. as well as with Petri's latest libsleep v3.1

Observed clocks in your range.  Power not limited.  +100core/+1000mem

I just removed my gtx 1080 and the rtx 3080 ti is processing faster.   Hmmm.....

I guess I had better go find my copy of libsleep v.3.1

Tom M

A Proud member of the O.F.A.  (Old Farts Association).  Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.® (Garrison Keillor)

Stephen "Heretic"
Stephen "Heretic"
Joined: 5 Feb 17
Posts: 94
Credit: 645,067,679
RAC: 0

Harri Liljeroos wrote: If

Harri Liljeroos wrote:

If you are using Windows, you do it from Windows settings (Control Panel).

Hi Harri,

Does that include the BOINC screensaver?

Stephen

 

Harri Liljeroos
Harri Liljeroos
Joined: 10 Dec 05
Posts: 3,882
Credit: 2,988,203,659
RAC: 919,931

Yes, Boinc screensaver is one

Yes, Boinc screensaver is one of Windows screen savers. So if you select there 'None' Boinc screen saver is also disabled. From Power options you can then select if you want your screen to go blank after some time.

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 3,799
Credit: 37,395,858,498
RAC: 50,525,694

Tom M wrote: Ian&Steve C.

Tom M wrote:

Ian&Steve C. wrote:

 

I'm running it watercooled (cooler temps get you higher core clocks, observed clocks ~1750-1815 MHz), clocked +100core/+1000mem capped at 300W power limit. as well as with Petri's latest libsleep v3.1

Observed clocks in your range.  Power not limited.  +100core/+1000mem

I just removed my gtx 1080 and the rtx 3080 ti is processing faster.   Hmmm.....

I guess I had better go find my copy of libsleep v.3.1

Tom M

looks like you're now down to about 109/110 second run time so i guess you found the right package :)

how much power is your card using while running Einstein FGRPB1 GPU? you can see power use by running "watch -n 1 nvidia-smi" (this will loop the output every second so you can get a near-real-time reading)

 

_________________________________________________________________________

Stephen "Heretic"
Stephen "Heretic"
Joined: 5 Feb 17
Posts: 94
Credit: 645,067,679
RAC: 0

Thanks again. Your rigs are

Thanks again. Your rigs are doing well, keep on crunching! :)

Stephen

 

Stephen "Heretic"
Stephen "Heretic"
Joined: 5 Feb 17
Posts: 94
Credit: 645,067,679
RAC: 0

Ian&Steve C. wrote:how much

Ian&Steve C. wrote:

how much power is your card using while running Einstein FGRPB1 GPU? you can see power use by running "watch -n 1 nvidia-smi" (this will loop the output every second so you can get a near-real-time reading)

 . . My ears just perked up. Where would one run that command? And where would one see the result?

 . . OK.. found it! running it in terminal window and results are in same.  :) Thanks :)

Stephen

???

 

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 5,962
Credit: 8,045,542,397
RAC: 5,723,380

165 / 3000 with power limit

165 / 3000 with power limit at 350 watts.

Still need to chase up the other solution.

I have dropped to 0,0,0 to see if GPU utilization will go back up  And because of power bill prediction.

Tom M

A Proud member of the O.F.A.  (Old Farts Association).  Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.® (Garrison Keillor)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.