A problem in setting up separate preferences

PhiAlpha
PhiAlpha
Joined: 8 Nov 04
Posts: 34
Credit: 668,744,881
RAC: 8,797
Topic 193260

I am experiencing the following problem. I have separate preferences for work in my einstein@home account and the setting "Suspend work while computer is in use?" is currently set to No. When I change it to "Yes" and hit "Update Preferences" it does not change at all. However, the default preferences seem to get updated properly.

In fact, I found this problem while I was trying to configure a new BOINC installation (5.10.20) on a Windows XP Professional 64bit Version 2003. I wanted BOINC to suspend work while the computer is in use and I could not get it to work. The einstein client is working 100% of the time. I could not get it to work with the default preferences either (which I am capable of editing). I do not have such a problem on 32bit Windows XP so I thought this was some sort of a compatibility issue and I tried the older version 5.8.16 but with no success. Is there anyone who can help with this?

Thanks a lot and sorry if this has been already covered somewhere in the forum, I could not find such a thread.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." A. Einstein

Bikeman (Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein)
Bikeman (Heinz-...
Moderator
Joined: 28 Aug 06
Posts: 3,515
Credit: 446,341,241
RAC: 49,341

A problem in setting up separate preferences

Quote:

I am experiencing the following problem. I have separate preferences for work in my einstein@home account and the setting "Suspend work while computer is in use?" is currently set to No. When I change it to "Yes" and hit "Update Preferences" it does not change at all. However, the default preferences seem to get updated properly.

In fact, I found this problem while I was trying to configure a new BOINC installation (5.10.20) on a Windows XP Professional 64bit Version 2003. I wanted BOINC to suspend work while the computer is in use and I could not get it to work. The einstein client is working 100% of the time. I could not get it to work with the default preferences either (which I am capable of editing). I do not have such a problem on 32bit Windows XP so I thought this was some sort of a compatibility issue and I tried the older version 5.8.16 but with no success. Is there anyone who can help with this?

Thanks a lot and sorry if this has been already covered somewhere in the forum, I could not find such a thread.

Yiu have probably tried this already, but just to make sure: you have to push the "update" button in the Boinc Manager running on that computer for the change to take immediate effect. Otherwise it takes until the next client-server contact.

OK, I guess you knew that already... it might help to give a link to the computer you tried this on.

CU
H-B

PhiAlpha
PhiAlpha
Joined: 8 Nov 04
Posts: 34
Credit: 668,744,881
RAC: 8,797

RE: Yiu have probably

Message 74830 in response to message 74829

Quote:

Yiu have probably tried this already, but just to make sure: you have to push the "update" button in the Boinc Manager running on that computer for the change to take immediate effect. Otherwise it takes until the next client-server contact.

OK, I guess you knew that already... it might help to give a link to the computer you tried this on.

CU
H-B

Thanks, I forgot to write it but I did update the einstein project from the Boinc Manager. The Boinc Manager reports:

10/22/2007 10:27:03 PM||General prefs: using your defaults

It should have downloaded the preferences from the project. The computer is this one:

http://einsteinathome.org/host/1033671

Thanks again!

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." A. Einstein

Bikeman (Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein)
Bikeman (Heinz-...
Moderator
Joined: 28 Aug 06
Posts: 3,515
Credit: 446,341,241
RAC: 49,341

RE: RE: Yiu have

Message 74831 in response to message 74830

Quote:
Quote:

Yiu have probably tried this already, but just to make sure: you have to push the "update" button in the Boinc Manager running on that computer for the change to take immediate effect. Otherwise it takes until the next client-server contact.

OK, I guess you knew that already... it might help to give a link to the computer you tried this on.

CU
H-B

Thanks, I forgot to write it but I did update the einstein project from the Boinc Manager. The Boinc Manager reports:

10/22/2007 10:27:03 PM||General prefs: using your defaults

It should have downloaded the preferences from the project. The computer is this one:

http://einsteinathome.org/host/1033671

Thanks again!

This is strange, maybe one of the BOINC experts can help. What can be found in the scheduler logs is this :

2007-10-22 12:50:25.7318 [PID=27627] [normal ] Processing request [HOST#1033671] [RPC#9] core client version 5.8.16
2007-10-22 12:50:26.0836 [PID=27627] [debug ] using working prefs
2007-10-22 12:50:26.0837 [PID=27627] [debug ] Result is on [HOST#1033671]: h1_0319.00_S5R2__43_S5R3a_1

So, I wonder what is set in the BOINC Manager GUI itself: There you can instruct BOinc-Manager in the Activity Menu to "Run always",, "Run based on preferences" (that's what you want) or to "suspend" activity altogether.

I hove you forgive me the second dumb question in a row, but the Activity mode is not overruled in the Boinc manager this way?

CU
Bikeman

PhiAlpha
PhiAlpha
Joined: 8 Nov 04
Posts: 34
Credit: 668,744,881
RAC: 8,797

RE: This is strange,

Message 74832 in response to message 74831

Quote:

This is strange, maybe one of the BOINC experts can help. What can be found in the scheduler logs is this :

2007-10-22 12:50:25.7318 [PID=27627] [normal ] Processing request [HOST#1033671] [RPC#9] core client version 5.8.16
2007-10-22 12:50:26.0836 [PID=27627] [debug ] using working prefs
2007-10-22 12:50:26.0837 [PID=27627] [debug ] Result is on [HOST#1033671]: h1_0319.00_S5R2__43_S5R3a_1

So, I wonder what is set in the BOINC Manager GUI itself: There you can instruct BOinc-Manager in the Activity Menu to "Run always",, "Run based on preferences" (that's what you want) or to "suspend" activity altogether.

I hove you forgive me the second dumb question in a row, but the Activity mode is not overruled in the Boinc manager this way?

CU
Bikeman

No problem, it is set to "Run based on preferences". I did a few exepriments with the 5.10.20 version - tried overriding the preferences by setting explixitly in the local preferences that I would like the manager to suspend work while computer is in use but, without success. Now this host is running version 5.8.16.

I am not having this problem on my 32bit Windows XP hosts. I guess the issue has something to do with the 64bit Windows...

Also, it is very strange to me why I am not capable of changing the "Suspend work while computer is in use?" to Yes in my home preferences on the web. This is a separate issue though... Is there anyone else with the same problem?

Thanks very much for the help Bikeman!

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." A. Einstein

Bikeman (Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein)
Bikeman (Heinz-...
Moderator
Joined: 28 Aug 06
Posts: 3,515
Credit: 446,341,241
RAC: 49,341

So sorry, I completely

Message 74833 in response to message 74832

So sorry, I completely misunderstood your message, I thought the settings would not take effect on your PC, but you can't change the settings in the web ... my fault.

I see the same effect. I'd guess this is a bug in the web pages and I'll forward this to the staff.

Thanks for the bug report, this will hopefully be fixed soon.

CU
Bikeman

PhiAlpha
PhiAlpha
Joined: 8 Nov 04
Posts: 34
Credit: 668,744,881
RAC: 8,797

RE: So sorry, I completely

Message 74834 in response to message 74833

Quote:

So sorry, I completely misunderstood your message, I thought the settings would not take effect on your PC, but you can't change the settings in the web ... my fault.

I see the same effect. I'd guess this is a bug in the web pages and I'll forward this to the staff.

Thanks for the bug report, this will hopefully be fixed soon.

CU
Bikeman

Well, I am afraid I reported two issues in one message, my apologies :). I noticed I did not have problems changing the default preferences (in contrast to the home preferences) on the web and the default preferences are now set for this host. Thus, there is a second issue that the settings do not have effect on this host in particular. All 32bit Windows hosts that I have take into account the setting "Suspend work while computer is in use?" in the default preferences and stop when I move the mouse. Only this host behaves in this strange way.

Thanks, Bikeman!

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." A. Einstein

Richard Haselgrove
Richard Haselgrove
Joined: 10 Dec 05
Posts: 1,933
Credit: 172,206,522
RAC: 376,257

RE: So sorry, I completely

Message 74835 in response to message 74833

Quote:

So sorry, I completely misunderstood your message, I thought the settings would not take effect on your PC, but you can't change the settings in the web ... my fault.

I see the same effect. I'd guess this is a bug in the web pages and I'll forward this to the staff.

Thanks for the bug report, this will hopefully be fixed soon.

CU
Bikeman


You may want to refer to this BOINC Dev forum thread and this BOINC trac ticket [trac]#426[/trac].

Both outstanding for three weeks; both have attracted precisely zero BOINC dev attention.

Best of luck in getting - by any means possible - the attention of the people who matter.

Bikeman (Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein)
Bikeman (Heinz-...
Moderator
Joined: 28 Aug 06
Posts: 3,515
Credit: 446,341,241
RAC: 49,341

RE: RE: So sorry, I

Message 74836 in response to message 74835

Quote:
Quote:

So sorry, I completely misunderstood your message, I thought the settings would not take effect on your PC, but you can't change the settings in the web ... my fault.

I see the same effect. I'd guess this is a bug in the web pages and I'll forward this to the staff.

Thanks for the bug report, this will hopefully be fixed soon.

CU
Bikeman


You may want to refer to this BOINC Dev forum thread and this BOINC trac ticket [trac]#426[/trac].

Both outstanding for three weeks; both have attracted precisely zero BOINC dev attention.

Best of luck in getting - by any means possible - the attention of the people who matter.

Thanks very much, at least we now know this is a confirmed software issue and no further experimentation is needed.

CU
Bikeman

PovAddict
PovAddict
Joined: 31 Mar 05
Posts: 45
Credit: 1,708,500
RAC: 3

RE: 2007-10-22

Message 74837 in response to message 74831

Quote:
2007-10-22 12:50:25.7318 [PID=27627] [normal ] Processing request [HOST#1033671] [RPC#9] core client version 5.8.16
2007-10-22 12:50:26.0836 [PID=27627] [debug ] using working prefs
2007-10-22 12:50:26.0837 [PID=27627] [debug ] Result is on [HOST#1033671]: h1_0319.00_S5R2__43_S5R3a_1


"working prefs" doesn't necessarily mean "prefs for the 'work' venue".

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.