MacOS G5 App 4.27 available

Odysseus
Odysseus
Joined: 17 Dec 05
Posts: 372
Credit: 11,230,998
RAC: 6,016

RE: on my G5 1,8Ghz with

Message 44687 in response to message 44686

Quote:
on my G5 1,8Ghz with 4.27 app(and BOINC 5.4.9) i have WU of 27000 seconds of calculation that credit 113


Most of the long WUs (111–113 CS) my dual-core G5/2.3 GHz has crunched recently with v4.27 took between 20000 and 28000 seconds (always near either end of the range, with none of them falling between 21000 and 27000 s), but I’ve had many that ran much longer: quite a few over 40000s, some as high as 46000 s. As a result this system’s productivity has varied widely over the last couple of months, ranging from about 9 to 20 CS/h.

[AF>Le_Pommier>Macbidouille.com]CRISTOBOOL
[AF>Le_Pommi...
Joined: 10 Dec 05
Posts: 59
Credit: 62,971
RAC: 0

RE: RE: on my G5 1,8Ghz

Message 44688 in response to message 44687

Quote:
Quote:
on my G5 1,8Ghz with 4.27 app(and BOINC 5.4.9) i have WU of 27000 seconds of calculation that credit 113

Most of the long WUs (111–113 CS) my dual-core G5/2.3 GHz has crunched recently with v4.27 took between 20000 and 28000 seconds (always near either end of the range, with none of them falling between 21000 and 27000 s), but I’ve had many that ran much longer: quite a few over 40000s, some as high as 46000 s. As a result this system’s productivity has varied widely over the last couple of months, ranging from about 9 to 20 CS/h.

ok , i did not know that it's surprizing there are so much differences in granted credits between WU;all WU on my computer are between 26000 to 29500 seconds for 112-114 credits.

Bernd Machenschalk
Bernd Machenschalk
Moderator
Administrator
Joined: 15 Oct 04
Posts: 3,979
Credit: 205,052,741
RAC: 36,340

To get new S5RI work with

To get new S5RI work with this App, you must install a new app_info.xml. Stop the client, replace the old app_info.xml with this one, and start the client again.

BM

TheOuthouseMouse
TheOuthouseMouse
Joined: 24 Aug 06
Posts: 15
Credit: 7,870,631
RAC: 758

RE: To get new S5RI work

Message 44690 in response to message 44689

Quote:
To get new S5RI work with this App, you must install a new app_info.xml. Stop the client, replace the old app_info.xml with this one, and start the client again.


Excuse me for being a bit elementary here, but I did not find an old app_info.xml so I am confused when you say that I should replace the old one with this updated one.

Could you help me to understand into which directory I should copy this file?

TheOuthouseMouse
TheOuthouseMouse
Joined: 24 Aug 06
Posts: 15
Credit: 7,870,631
RAC: 758

RE: RE: I am soooo sorry

Message 44691 in response to message 44675

Quote:
Quote:
I am soooo sorry ...
It was the 4.26 that ran 18% faster than the 4.23

Thank you - that's almost too good to be true.

Do me a favor and look into the folder
/Library/Application Support/BOINC Data/projects/einstein.phys.uwm.edu/"
to see if there really is a 4.26 App. The old (erroneous) app_info.xml may under certain circumstances have reported the 4.27 as 4.26.

That actually was my fault - I tested the App more or less thoroughly, but not the app_info.xml...

BM


I looked in this directory on my computer and discovered the following files:

config_S5R1a.cfg
earth_05_09
sun_05_09
h1_0396.5_S5R1

I copied the app_info.xml and einstein_S5R1_4.27_powerpc-apple-darwin files into this directory (after I exited the client). I then restarted the client and clicked on the UPDATE button for Einstein and I was still getting the following messages:

Thu Jan 18 22:46:46 2007|Einstein@Home|Sending scheduler request to http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/EinsteinAtHome_cgi/cgi
Thu Jan 18 22:46:46 2007|Einstein@Home|Reason: Requested by user
Thu Jan 18 22:46:46 2007|Einstein@Home|(not requesting new work or reporting completed tasks)
Thu Jan 18 22:46:51 2007|Einstein@Home|Scheduler request succeeded

What am I doing wrong here?

I looked farther up the message log and noticed this:

Thu Jan 18 22:57:21 2007|Einstein@Home|Found app_info.xml; using anonymous platform
Thu Jan 18 22:57:21 2007||Processor: 2 i386 MacBookPro1,1
Thu Jan 18 22:57:21 2007||Memory: 1.50 GB physical, 0 bytes virtual
Thu Jan 18 22:57:21 2007||Disk: 34.00 GB total, 3.01 GB free
Thu Jan 18 22:57:21 2007|Einstein@Home|URL: http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/; Computer ID: 721615; location: home; project prefs: default

Alan Ng
Alan Ng
Joined: 19 Mar 05
Posts: 34
Credit: 75,464,274
RAC: 0

The second line of your log

Message 44692 in response to message 44691

The second line of your log quotation below explains the problem. You are running a MacBookPro which contains an i386 Intel processor. The 4.27 app, as its name says, is built for the PowerPC processor, and as the Einstein page where you got it says, very specifically only for the G5 processor. (Which Apple doesn't even sell any more.)

Quote:


I copied the app_info.xml and einstein_S5R1_4.27_powerpc-apple-darwin files into this directory (after I exited the client). I then restarted the client and clicked on the UPDATE button for Einstein and I was still getting the following messages:

I looked farther up the message log and noticed this:

Thu Jan 18 22:57:21 2007|Einstein@Home|Found app_info.xml; using anonymous platform
Thu Jan 18 22:57:21 2007||Processor: 2 i386 MacBookPro1,1
Thu Jan 18 22:57:21 2007||Memory: 1.50 GB physical, 0 bytes virtual
Thu Jan 18 22:57:21 2007||Disk: 34.00 GB total, 3.01 GB free
Thu Jan 18 22:57:21 2007|Einstein@Home|URL: http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/; Computer ID: 721615; location: home; project prefs: default


Are you a musician? Join the Musicians team.
Meet the Musicians

[AF>Le_Pommier>Macbidouille.com]CRISTOBOOL
[AF>Le_Pommi...
Joined: 10 Dec 05
Posts: 59
Credit: 62,971
RAC: 0

RE: To get new S5RI work

Message 44693 in response to message 44689

Quote:
To get new S5RI work with this App, you must install a new app_info.xml. Stop the client, replace the old app_info.xml with this one, and start the client again.

thanks for the new xml :)

[AF>Le_Pommier>Macbidouille.com]CRISTOBOOL
[AF>Le_Pommi...
Joined: 10 Dec 05
Posts: 59
Credit: 62,971
RAC: 0

Sorry but i have some

Sorry but i have some problems with the new xml file ; the name is S5R1 or S5RI ?

Ven 19 jan 23:47:44 2007|Einstein@Home|Reason: To fetch work
Ven 19 jan 23:47:44 2007|Einstein@Home|Requesting 8640 seconds of new work
Ven 19 jan 23:47:49 2007|Einstein@Home|Scheduler request succeeded
Ven 19 jan 23:47:49 2007|Einstein@Home|Message from server: To get more Einstein@Home work, finish current work, stop BOINC, remove app_info.xml file, and restart.
Ven 19 jan 23:47:49 2007|Einstein@Home|Message from server: No work sent
Ven 19 jan 23:47:49 2007|Einstein@Home|No work from project

Martin P.
Martin P.
Joined: 17 Feb 05
Posts: 162
Credit: 40,156,217
RAC: 0

Hi, I see major

Hi,

I see major differences in the new S5R1 work-units. On my 3 computers (1 Windows XP, 2 Macs) I receive WUs that all take approximately the same crunch-time of roughly 9,000 seconds. However, on my Windows computer and on one of the Macs they receive 84 credits (e.g. Result ID 68717626 , Result ID 68753890 ) while on my second Mac they receive only 55 credits (e.g. Result ID 68843151, Result ID 68843139). What is the difference?

Pooh Bear 27
Pooh Bear 27
Joined: 20 Mar 05
Posts: 1,376
Credit: 20,312,671
RAC: 0

RE: Hi, I see major

Message 44696 in response to message 44695

Quote:

Hi,

I see major differences in the new S5R1 work-units. On my 3 computers (1 Windows XP, 2 Macs) I receive WUs that all take approximately the same crunch-time of roughly 9,000 seconds. However, on my Windows computer and on one of the Macs they receive 84 credits (e.g. Result ID 68717626 , Result ID 68753890 ) while on my second Mac they receive only 55 credits (e.g. Result ID 68843151, Result ID 68843139). What is the difference?


There was a mistake in the multiplier of the first units that were released. So those are giving higher than normal credit. They have since fixed that, and the ~55 numbers are the ones you should be seeing from now on.

This information was gotten from the S5R1 and Beyond post.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.