longer tasks yet the same credits awarded for the GRPS#5 cpu tasks

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 7,729
Credit: 621,800,002
RAC: 104,009
Topic 224339

I've noticed in the last few days the app version has changed and I'm now getting much longer tasks than just a week ago yet the credit its are still the same....is this just my machine or do they need adjusting? I am running the Gamma-ray pulsar search #5 v1.08 () windows_intelx86 tasks.

22 Dec 2020 task:

LATeah1075F_1208.0_1016740_0.0_0 512628111 22 Dec 2020 13:34:14 UTC 22 Dec 2020 18:39:01 UTC Completed and validated 16,391 16,324

693

28 Dec task:

LATeah1076F_72.0_2346_-2.4e-11_0 514603113 28 Dec 2020 21:44:48 UTC 29 Dec 2020 11:28:42 UTC Completed and validated 44,234 44,107 693

 You can see the name of the task has changed as well as the time it's taking to finish them, nothing else has changed on my pc and I'm not crunching any different projects between the 2 dates, yet the tasks are taking 4 times as long but the credits remain at 693.

robl
robl
Joined: 2 Jan 13
Posts: 1,686
Credit: 1,321,026,173
RAC: 462,009

mikey wrote:I've noticed in

mikey wrote:

I've noticed in the last few days the app version has changed and I'm now getting much longer tasks than just a week ago yet the credit its are still the same....is this just my machine or do they need adjusting? I am running the Gamma-ray pulsar search #5 v1.08 () windows_intelx86 tasks.

22 Dec 2020 task:

LATeah1075F_1208.0_1016740_0.0_0 512628111 22 Dec 2020 13:34:14 UTC 22 Dec 2020 18:39:01 UTC Completed and validated 16,391 16,324

693

28 Dec task:

LATeah1076F_72.0_2346_-2.4e-11_0 514603113 28 Dec 2020 21:44:48 UTC 29 Dec 2020 11:28:42 UTC Completed and validated 44,234 44,107 693

 You can see the name of the task has changed as well as the time it's taking to finish them, nothing else has changed on my pc and I'm not crunching any different projects between the 2 dates, yet the tasks are taking 4 times as long but the credits remain at 693.  

may not be a good comparison but on one of my raspberry pis the run time/cpu time has remained about the same - 26000/26000 without any change over the past several weeks.  i too experienced a name change but it did not effect the timing.  

EDIT: running Ubuntu Linux

Keith Myers
Keith Myers
Joined: 11 Feb 11
Posts: 1,347
Credit: 2,639,957,598
RAC: 6,317,691

Einstein uses fixed rewards

Einstein uses fixed rewards for tasks, no matter how long they take to crunch.

 

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 7,729
Credit: 621,800,002
RAC: 104,009

Keith Myers wrote: Einstein

Keith Myers wrote:

Einstein uses fixed rewards for tasks, no matter how long they take to crunch. 

Hmmmm

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 7,729
Credit: 621,800,002
RAC: 104,009

robl wrote: mikey

robl wrote:

mikey wrote:

I've noticed in the last few days the app version has changed and I'm now getting much longer tasks than just a week ago yet the credit its are still the same....is this just my machine or do they need adjusting? I am running the Gamma-ray pulsar search #5 v1.08 () windows_intelx86 tasks.

22 Dec 2020 task:

LATeah1075F_1208.0_1016740_0.0_0 512628111 22 Dec 2020 13:34:14 UTC 22 Dec 2020 18:39:01 UTC Completed and validated 16,391 16,324

693

28 Dec task:

LATeah1076F_72.0_2346_-2.4e-11_0 514603113 28 Dec 2020 21:44:48 UTC 29 Dec 2020 11:28:42 UTC Completed and validated 44,234 44,107 693

 You can see the name of the task has changed as well as the time it's taking to finish them, nothing else has changed on my pc and I'm not crunching any different projects between the 2 dates, yet the tasks are taking 4 times as long but the credits remain at 693.  

may not be a good comparison but on one of my raspberry pis the run time/cpu time has remained about the same - 26000/26000 without any change over the past several weeks.  i too experienced a name change but it did not effect the timing.  

EDIT: running Ubuntu Linux 

That's not good...I hope something changes for one of us!!!

Gary Roberts
Gary Roberts
Moderator
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 5,494
Credit: 65,616,914,311
RAC: 54,241,638

mikey wrote:That's not

mikey wrote:
That's not good...I hope something changes for one of us!!!

A couple of things need to be understood with this whole thread.

The app hasn't changed!  What has changed (which it does do quite regularly) is the data file being analysed.

Mikey quotes figures for tasks that use LATeah1075F.dat and LATeah1076F.dat.  The second one is just a new file - the next one in a long running series of data files.

I looked at one of robl's hosts where the run times are around 26,000 to 27,000 secs for many.  They all used the LATeah1075F.dat data file.  The next tasks to run are all for the new data LATeah1076F.dat so robl will soon be able to 'enjoy' the longer run times as well :-).

This is nothing new - it's been happening for years, although I have to rely on memory since I don't crunch CPU tasks any more.  Occasionally, there will be 'short running' data files so enjoy them while they last :-).  The longer running variety used to be (by far) the more common variety and certainly the type on which the original credit award was based.  The figures quoted in this thread are consistent with the notion that LATeah1075F.dat was a data file of the 'short running' variety.

If there are more 'short running' files available these days, then you're getting quite a bonus :-).

Cheers,
Gary.

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 7,729
Credit: 621,800,002
RAC: 104,009

Gary Roberts wrote: mikey

Gary Roberts wrote:

mikey wrote:
That's not good...I hope something changes for one of us!!!

A couple of things need to be understood with this whole thread.

The app hasn't changed!  What has changed (which it does do quite regularly) is the data file being analysed.

Mikey quotes figures for tasks that use LATeah1075F.dat and LATeah1076F.dat.  The second one is just a new file - the next one in a long running series of data files.

I looked at one of robl's hosts where the run times are around 26,000 to 27,000 secs for many.  They all used the LATeah1075F.dat data file.  The next tasks to run are all for the new data LATeah1076F.dat so robl will soon be able to 'enjoy' the longer run times as well :-).

This is nothing new - it's been happening for years, although I have to rely on memory since I don't crunch CPU tasks any more.  Occasionally, there will be 'short running' data files so enjoy them while they last :-).  The longer running variety used to be (by far) the more common variety and certainly the type on which the original credit award was based.  The figures quoted in this thread are consistent with the notion that LATeah1075F.dat was a data file of the 'short running' variety.

If there are more 'short running' files available these days, then you're getting quite a bonus :-). 

Thank you very much, I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out what changed but since it's normal I will proceed towards my goal.

Thank you everyone for you help!!

robl
robl
Joined: 2 Jan 13
Posts: 1,686
Credit: 1,321,026,173
RAC: 462,009

Gary Roberts wrote: I looked

Gary Roberts wrote:

I looked at one of robl's hosts where the run times are around 26,000 to 27,000 secs for many.  They all used the LATeah1075F.dat data file.  The next tasks to run are all for the new data LATeah1076F.dat so robl will soon be able to 'enjoy' the longer run times as well :-)

Yep, I am getting some of those new WUS on other Piz and I am noticing my times are also doubling. 

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 7,729
Credit: 621,800,002
RAC: 104,009

robl wrote: Gary Roberts

robl wrote:

Gary Roberts wrote:

I looked at one of robl's hosts where the run times are around 26,000 to 27,000 secs for many.  They all used the LATeah1075F.dat data file.  The next tasks to run are all for the new data LATeah1076F.dat so robl will soon be able to 'enjoy' the longer run times as well :-)

Yep, I am getting some of those new WUS on other Piz and I am noticing my times are also doubling. 

Yeah it figures.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.