flthompson's questions about Getting Started

Gary Roberts
Gary Roberts
Moderator
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 5,024
Credit: 34,470,563,792
RAC: 33,110,998

RE: Opps, i sent the

Message 19409 in response to message 19408

Quote:


Opps, i sent the message without the message. Sorry about posting on the wrong message board. Did not know that there were other message boards. Thanks for the help.

Francis

No problems!! I'm glad you found where your message disappeared to :). There are a number of very helpful people around here who don't seem to have anything better to do :), so please go right ahead and ask about whatever you need to know. Also try typing in some keywords into the search boxes here. You'll be surprised to find how much information is readily available in the Wiki.

Cheers,
Gary.

Jord
Joined: 26 Jan 05
Posts: 2,949
Credit: 5,509,312
RAC: 8,053

RE: I'm glad you found

Message 19410 in response to message 19409

Quote:
I'm glad you found where your message disappeared to :).


Happens to me every day, so it must be your fault, Gary. :)

flthompson
flthompson
Joined: 13 Nov 05
Posts: 5
Credit: 9,300
RAC: 0

Jord, My computer was

Jord,

My computer was giving the message, not enough disk space. I have a 200GB hard drive. About 70GB is used leaving ~130GB available. I went to the preferences on Einstein, and changed the hard drive preferences to no more than 80% rather than 50%. Will that allow the programs to use more of my hard drive?

Francis Thompson - STSS Ground Segment Program Manager

Stick
Stick
Joined: 24 Feb 05
Posts: 790
Credit: 2,341,690
RAC: 158

RE: Jord, My computer was

Message 19412 in response to message 19411

Quote:

Jord,

My computer was giving the message, not enough disk space. I have a 200GB hard drive. About 70GB is used leaving ~130GB available. I went to the preferences on Einstein, and changed the hard drive preferences to no more than 80% rather than 50%. Will that allow the programs to use more of my hard drive?

I just saw this thread: Message boards : Problems and Bug Reports : no disk space. It seems like some others are having similar problems and maybe they have a solution.

Gary Roberts
Gary Roberts
Moderator
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 5,024
Credit: 34,470,563,792
RAC: 33,110,998

Is your disk drive divided up

Is your disk drive divided up into partitions? Is BOINC in the usual place on the C: partition? How big is that partition? How much free space there?

It is not usually the max size that is the problem. It's more likely the min that you tell BOINC it must leave, so yes, the change from 50% to 80% is fine but you should also make the min free space that BOINC must leave be quite small, eg 0.2GB. Also how much of total virtual memory are you allowing BOINC to use. I let it use 75%.

Cheers,
Gary.

flthompson
flthompson
Joined: 13 Nov 05
Posts: 5
Credit: 9,300
RAC: 0

RE: Is your disk drive

Message 19415 in response to message 19413

Quote:

Is your disk drive divided up into partitions? Is BOINC in the usual place on the C: partition? How big is that partition? How much free space there?

It is not usually the max size that is the problem. It's more likely the min that you tell BOINC it must leave, so yes, the change from 50% to 80% is fine but you should also make the min free space that BOINC must leave be quite small, eg 0.2GB. Also how much of total virtual memory are you allowing BOINC to use. I let it use 75%.

Thanks for the information. It was just what i needed. My disk is not divided into partitions, and yes BOINC is in the usual place on the C:. We have ~170G free space. I am going to change the min to much smaller as you suggested, and change the virtual total to 75%.

Francis Thompson - STSS Ground Segment Program Manager

Gary Roberts
Gary Roberts
Moderator
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 5,024
Credit: 34,470,563,792
RAC: 33,110,998

RE: Thanks for the

Message 19416 in response to message 19415

Quote:
Thanks for the information. It was just what i needed. My disk is not divided into partitions, and yes BOINC is in the usual place on the C:. We have ~170G free space. I am going to change the min to much smaller as you suggested, and change the virtual total to 75%.

No problems!! Now, I'd like to ask you for a little help. There are some strange happenings with disk space issues that are affecting many people. Quite often they can be explained by the way the preferences are set. Sometimes it appears that there may be bugs in the way used space and free space are being checked and accounted for.

If you look in this thread you will see three people having issues with disk space and if you look at this reply of mine, you will see a little questionaire that I've set up to try to get hard data to allow the pinpointing of any real problems. It would be appreciated if you could supply the answers to those questions for your particular case.

Your situation is interesting because you have one very large partition (200GB) and at one stage you mentioned 70GB used and 130GB free and in your latest message you refer to 170GB free which I guess means only 30GB used. Are you shifting (creating and deleting) large temporary files on that disk? Is it possible that at any stage the free space could have dropped below 100GB?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Cheers,
Gary.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.