Einstein@Home GPU/APU Application for AMD/ATI Graphics Cards: discussion thread
We're proud to announce the official release of our first application for AMD/ATI graphics cards (GPU) and accelerated processing units (APU). Please use this thread to discuss this release.
* Windows or Linux
* BOINC Client 7.0.27 (
* ATI GPU or APU (OpenCL 1.1 compliant, equivalent to Radeon HD 5xxx)
* 512 MB video memory
* Catalyst Driver 12.x (don't install the APP SDK!)
* Please be aware that all previous tests we ran could only do a limited amount of testing given the vast amount of different hard- and software run by our volunteers. There might still be smaller issues, in particular with validation. Please bear with us, we'll do our best to improve the application over the next weeks and months.
* The same applies to application performance. This is our first official release. It might not be on par with our CUDA application just yet. We still have ideas on how to improve application performance and we're going to introduce them in due course.
* Tip: performance might be improved if you set BOINC
not to use all your CPU cores (e.g. all but one).
* Support for Apple Mac OS X is currently targeted for OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)
- * When running this application (all 32-bit) on 64-bit systems you might encounter the following error message (error number 255/-1):
[ERROR] Failed to get OpenCL platform/device info from BOINC (error: -1)If that happens, please download the latest AMD/ATI Catalyst driver, reinstall it and reboot your computer.