Credit gamma vs radio

Mr P Hucker
Mr P Hucker
Joined: 12 Aug 06
Posts: 819
Credit: 481,295,199
RAC: 14,688
Topic 229612

Is it different for different GPUs?  On mine, I take twice as long to do a Meerkat Radio on GPU as a Gamma on GPU.  But they both give the same credit.  Is that why more Gammas are running?  Also, if I ask for either, I mainly get Radio, which would suggest you prefer us to do Radio, so why less credit?

By the way, I did a search to see if this has already been discussed, but I got a "you don't have permission to access this resource" error.  Perhaps someone needs to look into it.

If this page takes an hour to load, reduce posts per page to 20 in your settings, then the tinpot 486 Einstein uses can handle it.

GWGeorge007
GWGeorge007
Joined: 8 Jan 18
Posts: 2,740
Credit: 4,498,694,607
RAC: 1,658,908

Remember...  when doing a

Remember...  when doing a search, you can not have open spaces.  enter the " + " sign between words.

George

Proud member of the Old Farts Association

Mr P Hucker
Mr P Hucker
Joined: 12 Aug 06
Posts: 819
Credit: 481,295,199
RAC: 14,688

GWGeorge007

GWGeorge007 wrote:

Remember...  when doing a search, you can not have open spaces.  enter the " + " sign between words.

You can't be serious, I can't enter:

credit gamma

into a search?  This is the 21st century right?

If this page takes an hour to load, reduce posts per page to 20 in your settings, then the tinpot 486 Einstein uses can handle it.

GWGeorge007
GWGeorge007
Joined: 8 Jan 18
Posts: 2,740
Credit: 4,498,694,607
RAC: 1,658,908

Nope, if you do you will

Nope, if you do you will always get the "you don't have permission to access this resource".

Enter the " + " between your words and you get the results.

In your own words, Einstein is archaic.  But it is what it is.

George

Proud member of the Old Farts Association

Mr P Hucker
Mr P Hucker
Joined: 12 Aug 06
Posts: 819
Credit: 481,295,199
RAC: 14,688

Try this: search

Try this: search "gamma+credits"

The suggestion "did you mean "gamma credit"?" produces it's own failed link.

Going to page 2 of the search results at the bottom fails aswell.

Both with the permission error.  I think there's something worse wrong.

 

If this page takes an hour to load, reduce posts per page to 20 in your settings, then the tinpot 486 Einstein uses can handle it.

Mr P Hucker
Mr P Hucker
Joined: 12 Aug 06
Posts: 819
Credit: 481,295,199
RAC: 14,688

So.... does anyone

So.... does anyone know:

1) Would Einstein prefer I did Meerkat or Gamma on my GPUs?

2) Are the credits mismatched?  Or do I happen to have cards better suited to gamma then Meerkat?

If this page takes an hour to load, reduce posts per page to 20 in your settings, then the tinpot 486 Einstein uses can handle it.

GWGeorge007
GWGeorge007
Joined: 8 Jan 18
Posts: 2,740
Credit: 4,498,694,607
RAC: 1,658,908

Mr P Hucker wrote:Try this:

Mr P Hucker wrote:

Try this: search "gamma+credits"

The suggestion "did you mean "gamma credit"?" produces it's own failed link.

Going to page 2 of the search results at the bottom fails aswell.

Both with the permission error.  I think there's something worse wrong.

just try "gamma+credit", not "gamma+credits"

George

Proud member of the Old Farts Association

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 5,528
Credit: 7,626,442,779
RAC: 2,265,883

Peter, I have always

Peter,

I have always presumed the higher the credit and the least processing time (wall clock) is the way to try to guess which task a project prefers.

The other part of the equation is exactly what your actual results are based on your hardware.

I try to figure out maximizing. And frequently get it wrong.

Tom M

A Proud member of the O.F.A.  (Old Farts Association).  Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.® (Garrison Keillor)

Mr P Hucker
Mr P Hucker
Joined: 12 Aug 06
Posts: 819
Credit: 481,295,199
RAC: 14,688

GWGeorge007 wrote:just try

GWGeorge007 wrote:
just try "gamma+credit", not "gamma+credits"

Done, still not found anyone else discussing it.  And I had to correct %20 to + in the URL each time I sorted by date or went to the next page!

If this page takes an hour to load, reduce posts per page to 20 in your settings, then the tinpot 486 Einstein uses can handle it.

Mr P Hucker
Mr P Hucker
Joined: 12 Aug 06
Posts: 819
Credit: 481,295,199
RAC: 14,688

Tom M wrote:I have always

Tom M wrote:
I have always presumed the higher the credit and the least processing time (wall clock) is the way to try to guess which task a project prefers.

I thought the same but why when I ask for anything, do I get mostly Meerkat?

Tom M wrote:
The other part of the equation is exactly what your actual results are based on your hardware.

Another thing I need to find out.  Who here can tell me the time taken for a Meerkat and a gamma on their GPU?

 

If this page takes an hour to load, reduce posts per page to 20 in your settings, then the tinpot 486 Einstein uses can handle it.

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 11,787
Credit: 1,822,450,287
RAC: 314,405

Mr P Hucker wrote: Tom M

Mr P Hucker wrote:

Tom M wrote:
I have always presumed the higher the credit and the least processing time (wall clock) is the way to try to guess which task a project prefers.

I thought the same but why when I ask for anything, do I get mostly Meerkat?

Tom M wrote:
The other part of the equation is exactly what your actual results are based on your hardware.
Another thing I need to find out.  Who here can tell me the time taken for a Meerkat and a gamma on their GPU?

 I run Gamma units on my Nvidia P-104:

Completed and validated 441 439 3,465

Gamma-ray pulsar binary search #1 on GPUs v1.28 () windows_x86_64

Here's an Nvidia 1070

Completed and validated 500 498 3,465 Gamma-ray pulsar binary search #1 on GPUs v1.28 () windows_x86_64

Here's a 1050Ti

Completed, validation inconclusive 1,097 1,095 0 Gamma-ray pulsar binary search #1 on GPUs v1.28 () x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

Here's a 1080 Ti

Completed, waiting for validation 301 298 0 Gamma-ray pulsar binary search #1 on GPUs v1.28 () x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.