Alternatives for expanding my einstein@home farm

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 12,295
Credit: 1,838,178,424
RAC: 4,666

archae86 wrote: Nvidia's

archae86 wrote:

Nvidia's financial reporting gives a clue.  Their revenue crashed in the most recent quarter, and the worst-hit of their major businesses was gaming.

I suspect there is a considerable lead time and pipeline of the production and delivery to them of the major cost component--the GPU chip itself.  So probably Nvidia itself is in fact getting lower average prices from their distribution network, and margins all down the line are contracting.  Just the opposite of the flush times not so many moons ago.  Nice for end users (us).  Dreadful for everyone else in the food chain.

The official quarterly results for the second quarter (ending July 31, 2022) are not out yet, but they knew they would be very bad and chose to soften the blow (or better inform investors...) by giving an early peak.

Overall revenue down 19% from the immediate previous quarter.  Gaming revenue down 44%.

Anybody want a nice GPU?  Cheap? 

The funny thing is, older generation wafer capacity remains short, so the auto manufacturers are nowhere near the end of the tunnel on their part shortages, but the recent generation high-end capacity that gets used for cell phones, PC CPUs, and the GPUs we like here is suddenly in capacity surplus to current demand.

I joined the semiconductor business in 1974.  At the time Intel was streaking to the skies.  In less than six months they hit the wall--more capacity than demand, and before the year was out they had two 10% layoffs.  It keeps on being a boom/bust business.  Ever since. 

Thanks for laying that out, I had some clue but the details you provided fleshed things out very nicely and make alot of sense as well. I hope the prices keep dropping for the 30?? series gpu's which to me means both gamers and us crunchers will upgrade our hardware sooner.

Mike Hewson
Mike Hewson
Moderator
Joined: 1 Dec 05
Posts: 6,569
Credit: 294,824,980
RAC: 102,876

Thanks for that overview. Two

Thanks for that overview. Two months ago I was thinking that it might be best to hold off on buying a 3080 ( I bought a 3060 instead ) and now they are half the price. I'm not after a GPU just because it is cheap though. NVidia's pain could be secondary to fewer overall PC sales though : DownUnda at least the Years of Free Money have ended and mortgage holders are going to meet the payments first up & no amount of fancy graphics/gaming cards will change that.

Cheers, Mike.

I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter ...

... and my other CPU is a Ryzen 5950X :-) Blaise Pascal

Tigers_Dave
Tigers_Dave
Joined: 25 Mar 09
Posts: 229
Credit: 9,248,626,727
RAC: 0

FWIW, the prices of AMD GPUs

FWIW, the prices of AMD GPUs on eBay have been falling.  In particular, the prices of used, older-generation cards have dropped pretty dramatically.  Thus, I am slowly starting to replace my AMD RX 580s with AMD RX 5700 XTs.

But, don't interpret this as a blanket endorsement of AMD GPUs.  I use them because MacOS in my intel Macs doesn't provide out-of-the-box support for eGPUs that contain 2000-series or 3000-series NVIDIA cards.  

Maybe I need to follow Mikey's lead and build some Linux boxes ...

Good luck expanding your crunching capacity!

"I was born in a small town, and I live in a small town." - John Mellencamp

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 12,295
Credit: 1,838,178,424
RAC: 4,666

Tigers_Dave wrote: FWIW, the

Tigers_Dave wrote:

FWIW, the prices of AMD GPUs on eBay have been falling.  In particular, the prices of used, older-generation cards have dropped pretty dramatically.  Thus, I am slowly starting to replace my AMD RX 580s with AMD RX 5700 XTs.

But, don't interpret this as a blanket endorsement of AMD GPUs.  I use them because MacOS in my intel Macs doesn't provide out-of-the-box support for eGPUs that contain 2000-series or 3000-series NVIDIA cards.  

Maybe I need to follow Mikey's lead and build some Linux boxes ...

Good luck expanding your crunching capacity!

What are you doing with your old cards? Are you putting them up on Ebay too?

If you just use a 240gb ssd drive, for about $25 for the cheap ones right now, you can unplug the Mac drive and plug in the blank drive and after putting in the linux cd or usb stick in you will be crunching using linux within 30 to 45 minutes depending on the distro

Castaris
Castaris
Joined: 18 Sep 20
Posts: 11
Credit: 105,688,258
RAC: 18,579

I have considered buying

I have considered buying GPUs, but I don´t know if the GPUs would be more cost-effective compared to the Dell workstations you suggested. 

In Chile we are a little bit further from global supply chains so it will take a while for cheap GPUs to arrive here. Delivery costs are very expensive usually as we are so far away. But I can find lots of dirt cheap used GPUs from lots of people who stopped mining when the price came down again.

I have an old Ethereum miner that I can easily repurpose for that task and fill with up to 6 GPUs easily, but I don´t know if the money would be better spent on buying an equivalent amount of used workstations.

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 12,295
Credit: 1,838,178,424
RAC: 4,666

Castaris wrote: I have

Castaris wrote:

I have considered buying GPUs, but I don´t know if the GPUs would be more cost-effective compared to the Dell workstations you suggested. 

In Chile we are a little bit further from global supply chains so it will take a while for cheap GPUs to arrive here. Delivery costs are very expensive usually as we are so far away. But I can find lots of dirt cheap used GPUs from lots of people who stopped mining when the price came down again.

I have an old Ethereum miner that I can easily repurpose for that task and fill with up to 6 GPUs easily, but I don´t know if the money would be better spent on buying an equivalent amount of used workstations.

If you are going for credits then gpu's are definitely the way to go but if you just want to contribute then cpu's are far cheaper to buy in bulk and dazzle them with the total number of tasks

Tigers_Dave
Tigers_Dave
Joined: 25 Mar 09
Posts: 229
Credit: 9,248,626,727
RAC: 0

Hi Mikey: Thanks for

Hi Mikey:

Thanks for suggesting that I convert some of my macs from MacOS to Linux.  Will have to consider that.

Prior to the pandemic, I discarded several NVIDIA GTX 750s and GTX 960s.  In retrospect, that was pretty stupid.  I still have several GPUs in storage: a GTX 1070s a GTX 1060, three GTX 980s, a GTX 680, and three RX 580s.  I am out of room at work and at home for any more crunchers, so I am probably going to have to start selling off these excess cards.  Problem is that most of them are flashed to boot on Macs, so the market may be limited.

"I was born in a small town, and I live in a small town." - John Mellencamp

Castaris
Castaris
Joined: 18 Sep 20
Posts: 11
Credit: 105,688,258
RAC: 18,579

Can you sell me the three RX

Can you sell me the three RX 580s? You can send them to me by DHL

mikey
mikey
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 12,295
Credit: 1,838,178,424
RAC: 4,666

Tigers_Dave wrote: Hi

Tigers_Dave wrote:

Hi Mikey:

Thanks for suggesting that I convert some of my macs from MacOS to Linux.  Will have to consider that.

Prior to the pandemic, I discarded several NVIDIA GTX 750s and GTX 960s.  In retrospect, that was pretty stupid.  I still have several GPUs in storage: a GTX 1070s a GTX 1060, three GTX 980s, a GTX 680, and three RX 580s.  I am out of room at work and at home for any more crunchers, so I am probably going to have to start selling off these excess cards.  Problem is that most of them are flashed to boot on Macs, so the market may be limited.

Have you tried them in a Windows machine since they've been flashed? A guy on Collatz insisted that they would work on Windows pc's too but now ALSO Mac's since they've been flashed. I've never wanted to go that way, I only have on single desktop and it's so old they won't upgrade it anymore and buying an external case etc gets expensive.

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 6,076
Credit: 8,247,000,383
RAC: 7,498,538

Tigers_Dave wrote: Prior to

Tigers_Dave wrote:

Prior to the pandemic, I discarded several NVIDIA GTX 750s and GTX 960s.  In retrospect, that was pretty stupid.  I still have several GPUs in storage: a GTX 1070s a GTX 1060, three GTX 980s, a GTX 680, and three RX 580s.  I am out of room at work and at home for any more crunchers, so I am probably going to have to start selling off these excess cards.  Problem is that most of them are flashed to boot on Macs, so the market may be limited.

I have had pretty good luck re-flashing gpus using Bios and utilities from tech power up.  My experience is limited to doing them under Windows so your mileage may vary.  It might be worth it to borrow a Windows box to try flashing your gpus back to "stock" versions.  Then you could sell them for more money...

Tom M

A Proud member of the O.F.A.  (Old Farts Association).  Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.® (Garrison Keillor)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.