All things Nvidia GPU

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 3,781
Credit: 36,879,128,589
RAC: 48,911,990

rcthardcore wrote: I just

rcthardcore wrote:

I just love my RTX 3090 FE. Very fast cruncher.

 

glad to see the beta app working well for you under windows. Twice as fast as the standard app. And now faster than a Radeon VII. 
 

what clock speeds or overclocks are you running? I would recommend clamping the power limit and/or core voltage down a tad to reduce heat and power draw. Focus overclocks on the memory. 
 

I run a 3080Ti with power limit at 300W, +125MHz core, +1000MHz memory. But you will need to find your own balance of stable clocks. Be careful with the backside memory modules, they get very hot and have minimal cooling. 
 

 

_________________________________________________________________________

Exard3k
Exard3k
Joined: 25 Jul 21
Posts: 66
Credit: 56,155,179
RAC: 0

anyone of you using blower

anyone of you using blower cards? I've seen some 3000 series Nvidia cards with blowers some time ago....do you guys with 2+ GPUs all having mining style open layout with risers and no real case or does someone actually bother getting thermals in control within a case? I consider buying a 3080 with my upcoming system, but haven't settled on cooling yet.

 

Got a 2060 standard fan cooling atm and new system will inherit that card + the new card. Plan is to have 2060 + 2x 3080 + 4x NVMe SSD AIC for my PCIe slots within a year or so. That's some worrisome thermals, thus the question. Unfortunately AMD doesn't like releasing new Threadrippers, so I have more time planning.

 

Oh and I need the 2060 for my host OS, so "legacy" air cooling in the case is mandatory. Doing GPU Passthrough (full GPU acceleration within VMs) with the other card and everything idle crunching E@H.

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 3,781
Credit: 36,879,128,589
RAC: 48,911,990

Exard3k wrote: anyone of you

Exard3k wrote:

anyone of you using blower cards? I've seen some 3000 series Nvidia cards with blowers some time ago....do you guys with 2+ GPUs all having mining style open layout with risers and no real case or does someone actually bother getting thermals in control within a case? I consider buying a 3080 with my upcoming system, but haven't settled on cooling yet.

 

Got a 2060 standard fan cooling atm and new system will inherit that card + the new card. Plan is to have 2060 + 2x 3080 + 4x NVMe SSD AIC for my PCIe slots within a year or so. That's some worrisome thermals, thus the question. Unfortunately AMD doesn't like releasing new Threadrippers, so I have more time planning.

 

Oh and I need the 2060 for my host OS, so "legacy" air cooling in the case is mandatory. Doing GPU Passthrough (full GPU acceleration within VMs) with the other card and everything idle crunching E@H.

my 7x 2080Ti system is on a mining frame with risers. 
https://imgur.com/a/8zSp4EQ

my 8x 2070 system is on a mining frame with risers. 
https://imgur.com/a/JWUOcWN

my 7x 2080 system is actually all internal to a 4U server system, with the cards watercooled and an external MO-RA3 radiator. 
https://imgur.com/a/fYTI64U

my 2080Ti+3060Ti system have both GPUs air cooled and in a 4U server case (in a rack) with lots of airflow from high power server fans. 
 

for multiple 3000 series cards inside a case, your best bet will be water cooling. Either hybrid coolers, or a custom loop. 

_________________________________________________________________________

Keith Myers
Keith Myers
Joined: 11 Feb 11
Posts: 4,802
Credit: 17,875,157,406
RAC: 2,717,904

I don't have any mining

I don't have any mining chassis.  I make do with standard PC cases, but big enough for lots of radiators and fans.

I have most of my gpus as AIO hybrids or custom cooling.

But I do have a couple of standard 2 fan air cooled RTX 2070 in cases along with either some hybrids or a custom water blocked card.

They run 20° C. hotter than their water cooled mates.  High 50's or low 60's.

And that handicap means they won't clock as fast as the water cooled cards.

 

Stephen "Heretic"
Stephen "Heretic"
Joined: 5 Feb 17
Posts: 94
Credit: 645,067,679
RAC: 0

   . . Hi Keith    .

 

 . . Hi Keith

 

 . . I have the "big" machine up and running again and crunching under 18.04. Run times are typically 16 mins 24 secs on 2x GTX1060's. It is surprising how rusty on old geezer can get after less than 12 months but I am having trouble updating the nvidia drivers. Currently running 460 drivers from Launchpad PPA.  I can see 470 drivers but when I select it the machine takes a while to make it current and when I click on 'apply changes' it hangs for another minutes then goes back to 460 driver. What have I forgotten to do??

 

Stephen

<scratching head>

 

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 3,781
Credit: 36,879,128,589
RAC: 48,911,990

Stephen "Heretic

Stephen "Heretic wrote:

 

 . . Hi Keith

 

 . . I have the "big" machine up and running again and crunching under 18.04. Run times are typically 16 mins 24 secs on 2x GTX1060's. It is surprising how rusty on old geezer can get after less than 12 months but I am having trouble updating the nvidia drivers. Currently running 460 drivers from Launchpad PPA.  I can see 470 drivers but when I select it the machine takes a while to make it current and when I click on 'apply changes' it hangs for another minutes then goes back to 460 driver. What have I forgotten to do??

 

Stephen

<scratching head>

 

instead of trying to use the GUI installer, try this in the terminal:

 

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-470

then reboot.

 

if you can get the 470 (or even 465) driver installed with opencl 3.0 support, you can get the new app which will reduce your run times to about 10 minutes :)

_________________________________________________________________________

Keith Myers
Keith Myers
Joined: 11 Feb 11
Posts: 4,802
Credit: 17,875,157,406
RAC: 2,717,904

Try Ian's suggestion first. 

Try Ian's suggestion first.  If that does not work you probably have some co-dependencies on the older drivers which are preventing the upgrade.

If that is the case I would purge the older drivers from the command line or through Synaptic.

If I remember correctly, the 460 drivers had some dependencies to the old 455 drivers.

 

Stephen "Heretic"
Stephen "Heretic"
Joined: 5 Feb 17
Posts: 94
Credit: 645,067,679
RAC: 0

   . . Hi Ian,    .

 

 . . Hi Ian,

 

 . . Thanks for that

 

Stephen

 

Stephen "Heretic"
Stephen "Heretic"
Joined: 5 Feb 17
Posts: 94
Credit: 645,067,679
RAC: 0

Keith Myers wrote: Try Ian's

Keith Myers wrote:

Try Ian's suggestion first.  If that does not work you probably have some co-dependencies on the older drivers which are preventing the upgrade.

If that is the case I would purge the older drivers from the command line or through Synaptic.

If I remember correctly, the 460 drivers had some dependencies to the old 455 drivers.

 

 . . Aha!  That could be the problem.  I will try Ian's way, if that fails I will find my notes (I hope) to do the stop lightdm and autoremove /purge stuff.

 

Stephen

 

Stephen "Heretic"
Stephen "Heretic"
Joined: 5 Feb 17
Posts: 94
Credit: 645,067,679
RAC: 0

   . . OK, here's the

 

 . . OK, here's the thing ...

 

 . . Ian's way failed due to dependency issues. ...

 

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

It then listed 7 items and "but will not be installed".

So I have to do the stop lightdm process now ... ??

Stephen

 

 

 

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.