All things Nvidia

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 1,097
Credit: 1,826,155,928
RAC: 3,939,231
Topic 225715

I am looking at a goal of getting on to the "bottom" of the Top 50 list using NVIDIA gpus.   I understand the bottom has been a moving target but I am guessing that 1,500,000 RAC will probably make it.

I have a gtx 1660 Super but my gtx 1060 appears to have died.

What is the lowest cost (probably used) gpu I would need if we assume that under current conditions the 1660 Super will top out at about 600,000 RAC?

I know an Rtx 2060 (Super?) would probably work.  What about a gtx 1080 or gtx 1070?

The target MB has two usable long slots.

Tom M

Over the hill?  What hill?  I don't REMEMBER any hill...
A Proud member of the O.F.A. (I've forgotten what that stands for.... ;)

 

 

 

 

Keith Myers
Keith Myers
Joined: 11 Feb 11
Posts: 1,308
Credit: 2,200,101,279
RAC: 11,792,916

You can take a look at my

You can take a look at my host with dual GTX 1080 gpus running nothing but GRP.

Host 12885491

RAC is still going up as I haven't had it running for more than a little over a week on two cards now.

BoincTasks says it is doing around 530 tasks a day currently.

 

 

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 858
Credit: 4,757,008,463
RAC: 31,816,490

bottom of the Top50 looks

bottom of the Top50 looks like ~1,250,000 RAC right now

do you mean a single GPU to get in the Top50?

or adding a second GPU to your 1660S?

 

Single GPU, you'll need something like an RTX 3070 ("maybe" 3060Ti), or RTX 2080 Super

 

adding another GPU to your 1660S, a 1080 would probably do it. or even a 1070ti. it'll really depend on what systems may or not show up by the time you get up and running. the floor could move.

_____________________________________________

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 1,097
Credit: 1,826,155,928
RAC: 3,939,231

Ian&Steve C. wrote: bottom

Ian&Steve C. wrote:

bottom of the Top50 looks like ~1,250,000 RAC right now

do you mean a single GPU to get in the Top50?

or adding a second GPU to your 1660S?

===edit===

adding another GPU to your 1660S, a 1080 would probably do it. or even a 1070ti. it'll really depend on what systems may or not show up by the time you get up and running. the floor could move.

I am thinking in terms of adding a NVIDIA to my 1660S under current app assumptions.

Tom M

Over the hill?  What hill?  I don't REMEMBER any hill...
A Proud member of the O.F.A. (I've forgotten what that stands for.... ;)

 

 

 

 

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 1,097
Credit: 1,826,155,928
RAC: 3,939,231

I am playing what/if on this

I am playing what/if on this question.

Once upon a time I had a pair of rtx 2060 supers.

What kind of performance would I be looking at if I had stuck with them?

Tom M

 

Over the hill?  What hill?  I don't REMEMBER any hill...
A Proud member of the O.F.A. (I've forgotten what that stands for.... ;)

 

 

 

 

GWGeorge007
GWGeorge007
Joined: 8 Jan 18
Posts: 361
Credit: 525,832,551
RAC: 2,911,839

Tom M wrote: I am playing

Tom M wrote:

I am playing what/if on this question.

Once upon a time I had a pair of rtx 2060 supers.

What kind of performance would I be looking at if I had stuck with them?

Tom M

A little less than my pair of RTX 2070 Supers, I suppose.  I get around 263 - 286 sec on Einstein.

George

Tom M
Tom M
Joined: 2 Feb 06
Posts: 1,097
Credit: 1,826,155,928
RAC: 3,939,231

GWGeorge007 wrote: Tom M

GWGeorge007 wrote:

Tom M wrote:

I am playing what/if on this question.

Once upon a time I had a pair of rtx 2060 supers.

What kind of performance would I be looking at if I had stuck with them?

Tom M

A little less than my pair of RTX 2070 Supers, I suppose.  I get around 263 - 286 sec on Einstein.

My WAG is they would top out below 2 Million RAC then.

Tom M

Over the hill?  What hill?  I don't REMEMBER any hill...
A Proud member of the O.F.A. (I've forgotten what that stands for.... ;)

 

 

 

 

GWGeorge007
GWGeorge007
Joined: 8 Jan 18
Posts: 361
Credit: 525,832,551
RAC: 2,911,839

Tom M wrote: GWGeorge007

Tom M wrote:

GWGeorge007 wrote:

Tom M wrote:

I am playing what/if on this question.

Once upon a time I had a pair of rtx 2060 supers.

What kind of performance would I be looking at if I had stuck with them?

Tom M

A little less than my pair of RTX 2070 Supers, I suppose.  I get around 263 - 286 sec on Einstein.

My WAG is they would top out below 2 Million RAC then.

Tom M

That's a pretty good guess, presently they are running ~1.4MB RAC, but that number is slowly rising.  When it stops rising I'll let you know.

George

Ian&Steve C.
Ian&Steve C.
Joined: 19 Jan 20
Posts: 858
Credit: 4,757,008,463
RAC: 31,816,490

Just check freeDC. Whatever

Just check freeDC. Whatever number you see actually being produced each day, is where RAC will level out 

_____________________________________________

Keith Myers
Keith Myers
Joined: 11 Feb 11
Posts: 1,308
Credit: 2,200,101,279
RAC: 11,792,916

Looks like Darksider with its

Looks like Darksider with its 3950X and 1080 Ti and 2070 will top out as my best Einstein host.

The 1080 Ti is particularly effective.

It beats the other hosts because it doesn't run other gpu projects other than Einstein.

Currently showing 2.18M per day at FreeDC.

The other exclusive Einstein gpu host, the new 7443P with the two 1080's comes in next at 1.6M.

 

rcthardcore
rcthardcore
Joined: 1 Dec 08
Posts: 4
Credit: 6,119,763
RAC: 136,005

I just love my RTX 3090 FE.

I just love my RTX 3090 FE. Very fast cruncher.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.