Across-projects Team

hoarfrost
hoarfrost
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 207
Credit: 98,920,429
RAC: 117,806

Thanks! :) Other question

Thanks! :)

Other question - if (for example) I want to join to other project, can I use an Account Key from my first BOINC project (Einstein),
or for me need Create Account in each project, get an account key and joining with using Key and Project URL?

The Gas Giant
The Gas Giant
Joined: 18 Jan 05
Posts: 72
Credit: 3,109,569
RAC: 0

The account key is different

The account key is different for each project. You need to join each project to get an account set up for you and a new account key to attach to the project.

Paul

hoarfrost
hoarfrost
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 207
Credit: 98,920,429
RAC: 117,806

> The account key is

Message 10080 in response to message 10079

> The account key is different for each project. You need to join each project
> to get an account set up for you and a new account key to attach to the
> project.

Thank you, Paul!

But why in my account I see the "Cross-project ID"?

Vid Vidmar*
Vid Vidmar*
Joined: 22 Jan 05
Posts: 25
Credit: 191,816
RAC: 0

> But why in my account I see

Message 10081 in response to message 10080

> But why in my account I see the "Cross-project ID"?

This so called CPID is used when exporting XML stats, so when you run multiple projects, you can be identified. (Statistics sites use CPID to show your stats across different projects.)

Happy crunching,

hoarfrost
hoarfrost
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 207
Credit: 98,920,429
RAC: 117,806

> > But why in my account I

Message 10082 in response to message 10081

> > But why in my account I see the "Cross-project ID"?
>
> This so called CPID is used when exporting XML stats, so when you run multiple
> projects, you can be identified. (Statistics sites use CPID to show your stats
> across different projects.)
>
> Happy crunching,

???
If I understand right, I don't understood this situation. ;)

Cross Project ID named as "Cross Project" because this ID (alone ID on all projects) identify me in all BONIC projects, or because this ID unique for all projects, and in all projects is not exist user that have equivalent ID?

If I understand right, in first case when registration, I must use ID from other projects, in second - get ID in each project.

Thank you!

Tangent
Tangent
Joined: 9 Feb 05
Posts: 6
Credit: 26,073
RAC: 0

> If I understand right, I

Message 10083 in response to message 10082

> If I understand right, I don't understood this situation. ;)

The cross project ID does identify you, but only for stats. It's also available on all the stats sites. To login to your account you need a private ID - that's the account key.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Bruno G. Olsen & ESEA @ greenholt
Bruno G. Olsen ...
Joined: 20 Dec 04
Posts: 115
Credit: 7,668,259
RAC: 0

> ??? > If I understand

Message 10084 in response to message 10082

> ???
> If I understand right, I don't understood this situation. ;)
>
> Cross Project ID named as "Cross Project" because this ID (alone ID on all
> projects) identify me in all BONIC projects, or because this ID unique for all
> projects, and in all projects is not exist user that have equivalent ID?
>
> If I understand right, in first case when registration, I must use ID from
> other projects, in second - get ID in each project.

It can be a bit confusing, I know. There are three different "id'd" when it come to BOINC, two of them especially get confused. First there's the project ID (aka account key). This one identifies you at the project in question. This ID is personal, and should actually be cared for in the same manner as you care for a password. The project ID is unique to that particular project, and is the one you use to logon to your account page at the project in question.

Then there's the account number. This one also identifies you at the project in question, but in a different manner. The account number is public and used to make others able to see your account and/or profile, exept of course personal settings like your e-mail address etc. This number is also used by stats sites and signature site etc.

The cross-project ID is also a public ID. This one is actually not used at the projects own web sites at all, but is a way to identify you across projects. Whereas the other two are unique within the project but not nessesarilly across projects, this one is unique across projects. This way it is possible for statistics sites to create combined stats for you making use of data from all projects you participate in.

When registrering with a new project you don't need to worry about other projects you already participate in. Let's say you participate in project A and want to participate in project B as well. When you register with project B you don't need any information you have recieved from project A. The only thing to remember is to register with the same nick name and e-mail address. You don't need to have either the account id (account key), account number nor the cpid ready.

You will recieve a new account id (account key) unique to project B - in essence you will now have two account id's, one for each project. Then you will need the account id for project A to logon to your account page at project A's web site, and the account id for project B to logon to your account page at project B's web site. The projects don't know of each others existence you might say ;)

So when registrering you needn't worry or even think about the cpid.

genes
genes
Joined: 10 Nov 04
Posts: 41
Credit: 1,472,954
RAC: 1,244

Actually, the way I

Actually, the way I understood it was that the CPID was a method to distribute your general BOINC preferences between projects, and has nothing to do with stats. The idea is this -- you can log into any BOINC project and set up general preferences, and they will be distributed to other BOINC projects where your CPID is the same.

The CPID is tied to your email address. If you've joined all projects with the same email address, then they will all have the same CPID. If some projects have different email addresses, then those different ones will have different CPID's, and YOU will have to keep your general preferences in sync yourself.

I found this out the hard way -- I cannot get email from CPDN (or BURP for that matter) at my lovely verizon.net email account -- it is for all intents and purposes practically useless. Sure they protect me from spam, but they also deny me the ability to correspond with those of my choosing. Anyway, enough rant. I had to use a different email account to set up CPDN (and it had a different CPID from the other projects), and what was happening was that my CPDN general preferences were out of sync with the other projects, so every time my machines would connect to CPDN, the CC would change to those, and when they would connect to other projects, they would revert back. I had to go log in to CPDN separately and make sure all of the general preferences were the same as at the other projects.

(edit) IF you have set up different email addresses for different projects, it is a simple matter to go and edit them in your accounts. You will then have to receive and respond to a confirmation email from each project you change it in.
Once they are all the same address, then your CPID will be the same for each project (it may take a couple of days to propagate) and your preferences will stay in sync.


Bruno G. Olsen & ESEA @ greenholt
Bruno G. Olsen ...
Joined: 20 Dec 04
Posts: 115
Credit: 7,668,259
RAC: 0

genes: I think we're

genes:

I think we're talking about two different things ;) There are actually two cpid's - there's the one visible at our account pages which is also exported to the XML stats, and then there's the internal one. Just to make things even more confusing *lol* The external one, the one exported to the XML is the one I'm talking about ;)

John McLeod VII
John McLeod VII
Moderator
Joined: 10 Nov 04
Posts: 547
Credit: 632,255
RAC: 0

> Actually, the way I

Message 10087 in response to message 10085

> Actually, the way I understood it was that the CPID was a method to distribute
> your general BOINC preferences between projects, and has nothing to do with
> stats. The idea is this -- you can log into any BOINC project and set up
> general preferences, and they will be distributed to other BOINC projects
> where your CPID is the same.
>
> The CPID is tied to your email address. If you've joined all projects with
> the same email address, then they will all have the same CPID. If some
> projects have different email addresses, then those different ones will have
> different CPID's, and YOU will have to keep your general preferences in sync
> yourself.
>
> I found this out the hard way -- I cannot get email from CPDN (or BURP for
> that matter) at my lovely verizon.net email account -- it is for all intents
> and purposes practically useless. Sure they protect me from spam, but they
> also deny me the ability to correspond with those of my choosing. Anyway,
> enough rant. I had to use a different email account to set up CPDN (and it
> had a different CPID from the other projects), and what was happening was that
> my CPDN general preferences were out of sync with the other projects, so every
> time my machines would connect to CPDN, the CC would change to those, and when
> they would connect to other projects, they would revert back. I had to go log
> in to CPDN separately and make sure all of the general preferences were the
> same as at the other projects.
>
> (edit) IF you have set up different email addresses for different projects, it
> is a simple matter to go and edit them in your accounts. You will then have
> to receive and respond to a confirmation email from each project you change it
> in.
> Once they are all the same address, then your CPID will be the same for each
> project (it may take a couple of days to propagate) and your preferences will
> stay in sync.
>
Actually, in this case, the client is responding to a difference in the email addresses, not the CPID.

The CPID is used for external stats sites such as [url=http://www.boincstats.com/]BOINC Stats/a>.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.